SAU Community

Opinions Needed

KurtG

G'day guys

I own a 1996 series 2 gts-t thats is fairly stock. I havent really had much time to modify my Skyline due to work iam always traveling. Now iam on a break and i dont know where to start? Currently all i have done is install a HKS high air filter and thats as far as i have gotten..... I have a bit of money saved up and iam looking for some options. I have a few things in mind that i want done but not having modifed a car before i really dont know where to start whats best to do first etc.... All ideas would be great.

What do you want to do?

Performance mods / Aesthetics (Cosmetic) mods?

You got a budget?

On the performance side you have done the HKS pod, a full turbo back 3" exhaust will help (Keep it quite tho).

Upgrade your suspension, a nice set of wheels with good tyres on, upgrade your brake pads... This is just for light modification...

Aesthetics... You got a pic of your car?

We can help you choose what to do...

well i just brought a HKS hi-flow exhaust today which is the first step.......... I tryingt o find a hi-flow cat in a good price range i looked at JustJaps they had some on there ranging from $175-$440 since iam in sydney at the moment i might go in and have a look..... I also want to buy a HKS SSQV BOV but i was readigna thread saying that they are a waste of time and all they do is cause trouble? Iam abit bummed thou i cant put any pics up yet cause iam in sydney and i only have my laptop on me....... Which also means i have to wait till the end of the month to get back to my car :) . Thanks for the ideas guys i will keep you posted on the progress of my car will probably need some more ideas soon :)

well i just brought a HKS hi-flow exhaust today which is the first step.......... I tryingt o find a hi-flow cat in a good price range i looked at JustJaps they had some on there ranging from $175-$440 since iam in sydney at the moment i might go in and have a look..... I also want to buy a HKS SSQV BOV but i was readigna thread saying that they are a waste of time and all they do is cause trouble? Iam abit bummed thou i cant put any pics up yet cause iam in sydney and i only have my laptop on me....... Which also means i have to wait till the end of the month to get back to my car :) . Thanks for the ideas guys i will keep you posted on the progress of my car will probably need some more ideas soon :woot:

Don't worry about the HKS BOV.

You got the HKS Air Pod on, it will already make a "Choo" noise.

- Turbo-back exhaust

- Front mount intercooler

- Boost controller

- Coilovers

- Some nice Jap rims (17x9s or 18x10s)

Don't worry about bodykits and such, if you get good fitment with the rims you will get the necksnaps.

^^ Yeah do what mr. kirisak said.

Hey guys just brought a new HDI intercooler kit has anyone ever used this type of intercooler or know soeone that has are they anygood?

^^No LOL!

Keep your stock BOV and leave it as that!

:P

Haha I'm just saying those kinds of noises are quite novel for a while.

But yeah. A cooler is a cooler, and exhaust is an exhaust, if they're bigger they pretty much all do the same thing. If you're after quality then get some Jap branded parts.

Haha I'm just saying those kinds of noises are quite novel for a while.

But yeah. A cooler is a cooler, and exhaust is an exhaust, if they're bigger they pretty much all do the same thing. If you're after quality then get some Jap branded parts.

LOL!

Yeah for sure man!

Another Skyline owner asked a similar question recently on Facebook's SAU page and he wanted to know how to go about getting to 200rwkw. This was my reply:

To squeeze EVERYTHING out of the 'factory' setup

* Turbosmart bleed style boost controller ($100) - up the boost to 11psi to be safe, an electronic controller would be better to eliminate boost creep

* Split dumppipe ($80 - $100 Ebay) - to get rid of the restrictive factory dump and to eliminate turbulance caused by the internal wastegate when it opens at max boost

* 3 inch Hi flow CAT CONVERTOR ($300) - Unit for compliance is SH*T....even go to a Jap wrecker or a compliance joint and get a factory GTR cat - they flow good and cheap.

* A decent 3 inch exhaust (chinese - $400 on Ebay or $1000+ for a name brand) - remember, a pipe is a pipe ! whatever brand BUT NO LESS than 3 inch... as long as it's below 91db....

* FMIC - You'll NEED one by the time you hit 180rwkw and to go any further

* Walbro intank 255lt/hr pump (genuine one - $180 on Ebay) - to give more fuel pressure

* Adj fuel pressure regulator (Nismo or SARD - $200) - set it at 45psi to squeeze the most out of the factory injectors.....

* Higher flowing aftermarket injectors (Nismo 720cc - $1200) - factory injectors will take you to about 180rwkw before they reach 100% duty cycle....ie run out of flow......after that, then you'll need these which will lead to the need for a device to control them such as :

* A piggy back unit to control the new injectors & AIR/FUEL ratio as you dont want to lean the engine out (too much air & not enough fuel) or it will cause detonation AND eventually BANG ! OR preferably an aftermarket ECU - APEXI POWER FC is a plug & go unit - VERY USER FRIENDLY.....

I CAN GO ON FOREVER .........but this is as far as it takes to get you to 200rwkw

As you see, most of the above is to get rid of the restrictions on the flow of air going in and coming out of the engine..... free it up and more power - Its a rule that been around as long as the combustion engine....

Its a domino effect, one thing leads to the need for another etc.....Its a bottomless moneypit once you start..... Trust me, after spending a total figure of 5 digits starting with a '5' and still counting (Ive got my new custom GCG-built GT3566R sitting on my desk with a 6boost manifold waiting to go on... WHAT A TEASE !!)......but at the end of the day, the smile you get everytime you step on that go-pedal.....ITS ALL WORTH IT.

Good luck.