SAU Community

Crap Service

samc

I have a cousin who bought a full set of Greddy Emanage hardware. Brought his car to ********* at ******* for installation. They were not able to figure out the installation but still charged my cousin $600 odd for the service. Most of the service charged was for downloading info from the internet so that they could figure out what to do. It really sucks!

See for yourself and beware of so called experts.

Dude, did your cousin buy the E-Manage from *** ?

Did it eventually get installed OK by them ?

I obviously don't know the full story here, but I work with Computers and IT - And there is no-one person that knows everything about everything - Sometimes we have to read the manuals - Sometimes we have to download the manuals too.

Say for instance, my customer buys new bit of computer hardware or software and he wants me to install it - And I don't know anything about this new bit - I got to read the manual right ? Maybe I have to download the manual cause the manual didn't come with the new hardware. Guess what - I charge my customer for this (however I might discount my rate a little because I am learning about this new bit -) But he asked me to install it right ?

I'd reckon it would be the same with car stuff too.

Did you ask John for a breakdown of the costs ? Did this include a tune, wiring, physical installation, etc ?

Not knowing exactly was done here it's hard to make a judgement - You say 'full set of Greddy E-Manage' - does this include the Fuel & Ingnition ECU, Boost Control, etc ? Cause it looks like it ! If so, I would say your cousin got a good deal ! Actually, a fantastic deal !

well my opinion is that technically they have a right to charge you, but i don't think they should. .. i mean they spent time on you so they are entitled to charge you however since they couldn't do it they shouldn't have attempted it in the first place ..

your cousin's first mistake was the greddy emanage :)

as a software developer, i face a similar situation in that i sometimes won't know how to do something and i often go and research it.

it becomes a catch 22, do i not charge the client because of my obvious lack of expertise in this area? or, do i have the right to charge them because no-one else is going to help them and if they require it then it will obviously require someone to do the work?

i think the latter stands true. if you want something done, you have to pay for it. its as simple as that. and this brings me back to my original point, if your cousin had of bought a management system from someone who knows them and can install them and can tune them far less pain would've been shed.

he he - I would agree with that.

I just had a look at what a 'full suite of Greddy E-Manage Hardware" actually is:

e-Manage (main unit)

Optional Injector Harness

Optional Ignition Harness

GReddy Pressure Sensor

Pressure Sensor Harness

e-Manage Support Tool

Profec E-01 Boost Controller

OK, OK, OK...this is the story so far.

The car was pulled out from *** because they couldn't do it. It was eventually tuned by Peter from Advan at Silverwater. The car is running sweet with at least a 30.5 kw gain at the wheels. Cous loves it.

It is the full suite as Mr B-Man listed in his post. I've seen the Profec E-01 and it's fantastic. It displays (in real time) such info as boost (your choice of either kPa, kg/cm2, mmHg, bar or psi reading); throttle position; A/F mixture; rpm; etc.

I guess his one mistake was to entrust the car with so called experts.

Hey Boostzor, I can understand this.. defamatory laws can be harsh.

But stating cold hard facts WITHOUT comment or opinion is not defamatory.. Is this allowed?

Ie

"Took car to such and such, they charged us $613.12 for download time over the internet and did not complete the job."

We are basically covering our asses as a public forum. If people ask for the name in PM thats not a problem. U can even say the suburb the shop is in but not the name. Basically the rule is "if u cant say something nice, dont say nothing at all" :P

I know how i would feel in the same situation and have in the past but unfortunately its still not allowed. SAU does not want to be caught in between unhappy customers and businesses, dodgy or not. This kind of stuff can really affect small business. If there is a problem i suggest u take it up with the dept of consumer affairs, if u think it worth while.

Originally posted by Boostzor

We are basically covering our asses as a public forum. If people ask for the name in PM thats not a problem. U can even say the suburb the shop is in but not the name. Basically the rule is "if u cant say something nice, dont say nothing at all" :P

I know how i would feel in the same situation and have in the past but unfortunately its still not allowed. SAU does not want to be caught in between unhappy customers and businesses, dodgy or not. This kind of stuff can really affect small business. If there is a problem i suggest u take it up with the dept of consumer affairs, if u think it worth while.

This is the problem with our world we live in now lawers have destroyed fredom of speech you see it more & more everyday.

I used a recomended workshop & if I listed the service I received then I don't think to many people who would read report would use that workshop. Had I been able to view both sides of the story I might not have got burnt (you can post good things but not bad)

0.8bar is close to stock boost. 30.5kw gain is just not believable from pure tuning. some turbo's wont even give you 30.5kw gain at the wheels.

i've ran up to 1.1bar boost with my stock r34 gtt turbo. 0.8bar is definately not the limit, maybe running 0.8bar all day around a circuit will kill it.

Sorry Franks, but this is the story.

The car has the following:

FMIC

dump pipe

3" front pipe

high flow cat

3.5" cat back

K&N filter

all these did not work because he needed the computer. He said it had something to do with the fact that it was a tiptronic model..

now that he has the computer, the 30.5 kw gain was achieved.

now it makes abit more sense that with all those mods your cousin is now making 30.5kw more at the wheels over standard. my point was, an ecu replacement ALONE wouldn't do it. however, running excessive boost *might*.

an extra 0.1bar to me was equivalent to around 10kw at the wheels. gotta lurrrrve boost!

lol...because im a man of the night :P

this is my dyno sheet, i have the same mods as your cousin (i have powerfc) but this is at ~1.0bar boost. also dont know if the gear ratios between the tiptronic and manual versions are the same, so we might not be able to compare dyno charts...

aak.jpg

you can see a dip at the top of the dyno chart? could've made the curve continue to go up but not alot of time was spent tuning the top end.