SAU Community

Turbo's Gone

Hey my new Garrett turbo's are about to die i can hear a scraping grinding noise on idle its comming from one of the turbo's i took the piping off i cant reach the inlet pipe to the actual intake wheel but if i stick my ear on the pipe going to the top of the turbo as soon as i shut the car down i can hear the bearing's slowly spinning to a stop and like scraping grinding. Iv only had these turbo's for about 6 weeks is there any kind of warranty any turbo's come with? i change my oil like every 2,000km's this is bullshit. Do i have any right's to complain to my tuner workshop at all?. Thanks.

All depends on what is wrong first dude.

Without taking it off, sending it for a report, you simply do not know.

Could be poor oil supply causing the bearings to wear/fail, could be a faulty cartridge, could be poor balancing, poor housing assembly, something slightly ingested to the turbo to cause it to off balance... long list of things

Nothing you can tell, nor get angry about just yet.

Send it off to GCG for a pull apart, and you'll find out soon enough.

Generally though - There is no warranty on performance :)

Yeah thank's mate i was sorta thinking that "There is no warranty on performance" . Ill be taking the car back to the shop on monday ask the mechanic if he can C send them off to GCG i guess.

Im thinking maybe my last turbo's died the same way i might have an oil problem. I might even have to have the motor stripped down to find out and possibly some kind of cheap rebuilt with some piston's and new bearings's new oil pump and some oil control mods, on a sorta budget :wub:. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah thank's mate i was sorta thinking that "There is no warranty on performance" . Ill be taking the car back to the shop on monday ask the mechanic if he can C send them off to GCG i guess.

Im thinking maybe my last turbo's died the same way i might have an oil problem. I might even have to have the motor stripped down to find out and possibly some kind of cheap rebuilt with some piston's and new bearings's new oil pump and some oil control mods, on a sorta budget :D. Thanks for the reply.

theres a warranty at hypergear, a 12 month warranty. i mean if theres a 12 month warranty on a chinese turbo im sure there would be a warranty on turbos purchased from garret? :wub:

For BB turbos to have a bearing failure in that sort of time frame it means your engine oil is contaminated and it does not related to how often you you service your car. In Garrett book this type of failure is not cover by warranty. Once you change the bearing catridge in them they will be good as new. You need a in line oil filter system setup for the turbo before you put new turbos back in.

And we do not import turbos from Asian. Our turbochargers are made locally.

Edited by hypergear

Locally made... from Chinese parts? Sorry, cheap shot but could not help it.

I wonder what Billet Turbochargers could do in terms of a rebuilt to a "higher spec" with their fancy bearings and range of billet wheels.

theres a warranty at hypergear, a 12 month warranty. i mean if theres a 12 month warranty on a chinese turbo im sure there would be a warranty on turbos purchased from garret? :banana:

It wouldnt be a 12 month unconditional warranty - simple as that.

It would be conditional, and same as the Garrett "warranty", its highly highly conditional.

As for inline oil filters - no point.

Unix..

I think you worry too much. :banana:

The BB Garrett turbo's all have a spinning almost slight sound when you turn off the motor.

If the bearings were stuffed you'd know about it on boost as the comp wheel will suck forward kissing the comp cover providing you with a nice loud screech. :)

Edited by TheRogue

As for a BB turbo when it starts to faille you hear like a metal grinding noise. Some thing like Zzz.. zzzz. z you hear that when the car's switched off. Just the bearing cartridge and bearings are no longer original state as been machined off from oil contaminates. In this case we normally get customer to buy an oil filter kit or we don't service their turbos. As for a oil filter kit, Its similar a relocate kit, oil actually go through a engine oil filter before goes into the turbo. You probably see that setup often on diesel trucks and earth moving equipments.

Warranty wise its simple. All turbochargers are made to work with clean efficient oil supply which all healthy turbo engines should supply. if not then that is not considered as turbo's fault.

Locally made... from Garrett and Mellet parts.. Thank you.

Edited by hypergear

QUOTE (bigmikespec @ 3 May 2009, 10:50 AM)

Also like to add. Half of the parts in your Garrett turbos are made in China nowa days any way. Just under different treatment and quality control. So you are sort of right.

bearing in my gt3082r failed, no warranty, hate mtq and garret now because of my ordeal, my 2 chinese turbos lasted longer on the same motor and oil, was a dodgy cartridge im sure, i was sus on the bearing the day i got it, but they assured me its fine. didnt last a week

bearing in my gt3082r failed, no warranty, hate mtq and garret now because of my ordeal, my 2 chinese turbos lasted longer on the same motor and oil, was a dodgy cartridge im sure, i was sus on the bearing the day i got it, but they assured me its fine. didnt last a week

oh noes !!

not even a week

ffs Id be majorly pissed off

out of interest, how did the bearings sound prior to installation, for you to question whether it was suss or normal. Obviously it wasnt normal. Who assured you it was ok??

bush bearing are far more tolerant compared to ball bearing (garrett vs ur chinese choice)

bearing sounded ok to me, it had a fair bit of forward and back play from out of the box, 6boost assured me it was normal and any problems i would be looked after. not the case. 6boost done all he could, no complaints there its MTQ i have beef with

bush bearing are far more tolerant compared to ball bearing (garrett vs ur chinese choice)

yeah but the oil wasnt MTQs failure cause, the told me originally my exhaust temps were too high, so i lolled at them then the story changed to oh no we ment there wasnt a bleed cooling system so itmelted the polymer bearing case or something, i was like wtf why is there plastic in it? he said oh nah its a polymer. im like oh ok so a type of plastic.. any who this was almost 2 years ago. just pissed cos i have had a very bad run with cars and that made it worse

wow didnt expect to have some many replies lol, just wondering how can my oil be contaminated if its been changed 3 times in the last 7 or 8 week's? when i dump the oil it doesnt look contaminated at all. When driving the caar it doesnt seem to make a noise from the turbo's YET but on idle it defintely sounds like the comp wheel is hitting against the side of the housing hence making a screech aound but yeh cant really hear it yet when driving. I took the car back to the workshop the other day and told them they said when i strip my engine for a rebuild they can send them back to garrett and see if they will refund them or replace.

Service the car often does not get rid of oil contamination problem. You won't be seeing them doing free warranty service or refund for sure. Thats the shit thing with Garrett BB turbos, They have very restrict border line for warranty and 99.99% time its not their fault. So you will be pissed and swearing with a dead turbo and it is bloody expansive to rebuild.

Edited by hypergear

It wouldnt be a 12 month unconditional warranty - simple as that.

It would be conditional, and same as the Garrett "warranty" its highly highly conditional.

As for inline oil filters - no point.

the biggest thing with garrett's warranty is that you must run an inline filter on the oil feed line otherwise they will not cover the warranty.

Oh really that suck's bigtime then. I thought i had a problem with my oil pressure in the motor which caused the turbo problem but i just cleaned out my Oil pressure sender and my pressure has gone up back to where it used to so that musnt be the problem, Its crap caus my last trust turbo's siezed on me finally saved up for these new garrett's and the back one sounds like its gonna shit it'sself soon, If i put my ear on the pod filter at idle i can hear a high pitched weird noise like a whine. I guess ill just have to drive it untill they die and save again for new turbo's and get one of them filter's put on to the turbo's and see how that goes :D.

Edited by unix