SAU Community

Emission Testing

9krpm

I am about to take my car to Mits for emission testing soon.

I just wonder if any of you have done this before?

Will AF ratio at the Zorst affect the result? :)

What AF ratio will my car need to be to pass?

If anyone has any details or where I can get more details, please don't be shy?

Thx

9krpm,

Would you you mind explaining the circumstances leading up to you having a full emission test done at mitsubitshi?iIs this the result of u getting a defect and trying to clear it or are you simply trying to get your car engineered?I`m building a big KWRW motor at the moment and have contenplated having the car fully engineered with emission`s done as well.HOow and who do you contact at mitsubishi to arrange this?

Regards,

SKYLINE...

Skyline, I made a few modifications to my engine and need it engineered.

That's right clint32, but the amount of gas emitted is directly related to AF ratio too ( and a number of other things). If it's too rich.....more unburnt hydrocarbon = more emission. The ideal emission would be where AF= 14.7:1. Thus NA cars are cleaner than FI cars.

What I like to know is, who has done it before? If you past the test, then what AF ratio was your car at?

Danh, I spoke to Mark Tilbrook about this not too long ago.

His comments were relating to a car with a supercharger on it.

The testing was done at various rpms, and only a pass/fail result is given - that's all. They dont even tell you which rev range it failed at, or what particularly (ie how far out) failed, so if you fail you have done your 3.5K.

Wouldnt it be worth taking to NSW for testing first? Regency only require an IMO 240 (from memory) test, I am not 100% sure that the RTA test is the same, but I was told by an engineer that the NSW test was acceptable - and its free. Best part is they will tell you where and why you failed. If worse comes to worse, at least it is cheaper to get the emissions right in NSW and then take it over to mitsubishi.

There is also a guy who does a 'california bag test' or some such, I dont think regency will accept it, but it costs $350, and will also give you a good idea (within around 5% was quoted to me) of how close you are before you make your donation to the mitsubishi corporation.

Just some thoughts, oh and Mark told me they had to take the car back 3 times to get it passed. I will pm you with additional info.

Another thougth, this may be overkill, but may save you a few dollars,

some car manufacturers have use air pumps to inject air into the cat, thus reducing the percentage of specific gasses - this may help in your case. Even nissan did it with the SR20. You can buy cats (holden I think) that have a port in them already ready for the injection of air, add air pump and bingo, lower emissions.

I know this is starting to get off subject a bit, I just would really hate to see you go through this absolute Bullsh1t to satisfy the men with small minds and even smaller appendages - only to get screwed.

Thanks for the info steve.

As I mentioned before, I have to do this as I don't like the risk of jeopardising my asset if something happen. I am doing this the hard way because I affiliate with a few ppl and can pull a few strings. I might..finger cross...... be able to get most of cost of this headache sponsored as well. The emission testing does not cost me 3.5k and I hope that the guys there do tell me what goes wrong if it fails. I think I will be working at Mits next year so they better look after me.......otherwise they will get worst treatment from me :D

I hope that most of my contacts keep their ends of the bargain otherwise I will take a trip to NSW with you. I just don't like skippies on the highway.

BTW I am still looking for the info that I promised you...I must have missed place it somewhere. Will fax that to you asap.

Originally posted by TIMMMAYYY

so you're a electician 9kRPM? can you wire up the computer for when i do a rb25det conversion in the 31 :)

Sorry I am not an electrician Tim. I would not even know what to do for this conversion. Love to help you with your transplant m8 but I am clueless ;)

At work we just do a 4 gas emissions test, giving the amount of hydrocarbons parts per million, Oxygen, Carbon monoxide, and Carbon dioxide as a percentage. Once the catalytic converter has reached operating temperature, the hydrocarbon readings should come pretty close 0, if your runing too rich the hydrocarbons reading will be a lot higher so you can have it adjusted accordingly.

Originally posted by Steve

Danh, your going to be working at Mitsi!  Awesome, that means special deals on the emissions testing for SAU?????:(:D:D

Sorry I am now 90% certain that I won't work there :P

I will be moving to place nearby but not in Mits :P

It looks like I will have to take that road trip with you next year :)

cyrius, where do you work? Please PM me if you like to disclose that information to the public :)

cyrius, is the emissions test an IM240? cos that is what regency require, or at least thats what the guy I spoke to told me - you never know with that place, ask someone different and you will get a different answer every time.

Basically, I am trying to find a place in SA that regency will accept an emissions test for so I dont have to go to NSW, but with the rediculous price that Mits charge, its just so much cheaper to take a trip to NSW and get it done for free - plus they tell you where the car failed in NSW so you can rectify any shortcomings.

I just cant figure how it is helping anyone by charging so much money for a pass/fail test, and they say its in the interest of the environment - bullshit, if they were truely interested in the environment, and making cars safe on the road, they would make engineering and emissions testing something anybody could get done, ie affordable, just like they do in every other state in aust - this place is a bloody joke

Sorry, /rant.

Mits is a private company and they have nothing to do with this enivironment BS. They just happen to have a machine because the EPA enforce the restriction and they like to sell cars that can comply with the restriction. Mits spent a lot of money on the testing facility and since they are the only one in SA, they can charge what ever they want. Unless your car is made by Mituhishi or you have affiliation with Mits, the penalty for the test is high. Mits are very busy too. The reason they don't tell where ppl fail and charge high price is to deter pple from getting them to carry out the test.

The blame is on the government for enforcing the EPA restrictions without having a facility accessible and affordable for the public. Legally this is incorrect and if WE lobby hard enough, they will hopefully build one.

I am really sick of this BS too. Why do we have to prove that our car meet the restriction or we get a fine? Shouldn't it be the other way around, where the government need to prove that we are "guilty" before we get charge?