SAU Community

Ignition Key

Kurtis808

Hey,

i was just wondering, if i have to much weight on my keys, while its the ignition, can it damage it?

has anyone ever had a problem with this?

thanx, Kurt

simple solution: car and house key togrther, everything else put in glove box until needed

I've heard/seen in car manuals not to have too much weight on your key chain, and a few people have said something like that too. I have a total of 3 keys, one is my car, one for the screen door of my house and one for the garage side door and a very light penguin key chain. :P

My mum and sister are good examples of a decent weighted bunch of keys, over time they've lessened the crap after me bugging them all the time. I don't understand what the issue is but seriously, I don't think you need more than 6 keys (and that's pushing it) and 8 key chains.

I was always warned against it as in the event of an accident, that's a lot of steel dangling around your knee/hip area to hurt you. (that being said i did have a large padlock on my keys at the time, so i wouldn't lose it)

I've been told it damages the barrel but for roughly 6 years I would have carried a few hundred grams of keys at least on the one chain and it never caused any of my cars issues.

I have one key and my alarm button thingy on my chain and that is it. all other keys go into the centre console until needed. I hate having alot of keys near my knee when im driving.

Edited by kspots08