SAU Community

R34 Gtr - Xenon Hid Install

TOPG34R

Heya Guys,

Thought I'd post a DIY walk-through for a D2R HID installation I just performed on my BNR34.

In the process of purchasing a HID Kit for my 34 it was fairly frustrating as there was nothing conclusive to

say what is the correct bulb to fit the factory Xenon assembly, nor could I find a DIY specific to a 34; so here

it is! :D

After taking the plunge I can now confidently say the D2R bulbs fits PERFECTLY in the bulb cradle. This kit is

ALMOST plug n play with little to no technical experience but decided to provide the guide for those who aren't

confident and want to give it a go.

KIT: Bosch D2R HID KIT with globe adapters (6000k diamond white)

INSTALL TIME: Approx 1 hour (30min per side)

Page 1

post-60953-1242033532_thumb.jpg

Page 2

post-60953-1242033548_thumb.jpg

Page 3

post-60953-1242033566_thumb.jpg

Page 4

post-60953-1242033581_thumb.jpg

Page 5

post-60953-1242034634_thumb.jpg

Page 6

post-60953-1242033629_thumb.jpg

Page 7

post-60953-1242033647_thumb.jpg

Page 8

post-60953-1242033660_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Ben

post-60953-1242033597_thumb.jpg

No problem!

I've now tested and height adjusted and very happy with outcome. Was fearful 6000k may not provide enought 'bright' light but the ballast n globe do a superior job.

Will post an on-road pic when I get a chance.

Ben

nice write up.I saw H1 HID kits on the internet using the H1 bulbs connected to the ballast. Not sure how good it is.Been contemplating to do this but most kits i found out there has the xenon chamber bulbs which is bigger and that means i have to cut the caps like you did. still weighing out options if i wanna cut it! arghhhhhh!

Cheers Rych.

To answer your dilemma, just do it! :huh:

I read multiple times the reflector assembly is suited to D2R so knowing I couldn't sleep at night if I took the easier/shorter path I took the D2R path.

Worse case u can easily source new caps if u need too.

Good luck

Ben

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

My only gripe is that you've compromised the water-tight housing by cutting big holes in them. The factory xenons can fit in there without cutting a big hole in the back - I'm sure you could have found a neater way of running the wiring in from the balast than that :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

so i have figured, after chaging my headlight bulb. does it mean i can just plug in the HID bulbs and it'll work. looks like the factory adapter left by compliance.

post-77241-0-88596600-1371198983_thumb.jpg

post-77241-0-46651600-1371199016_thumb.jpg