SAU Community

Cold Air Intake

Hey,

I know there are a lot of threads on this already, but none of them really give many suggestion of what you can use as intake piping. I had a look at bunnings, but wasnt sure how good plumbing pipe would be. Had a look at the proper intake piping in SuperCheap as well, but its like $80 a piece and none of the pieces are long enough. So does this piping really need to be made out of high quality material, seeing as its just an air intake, or can i use some cheap pipe?

I dont really wanna spend too much money on this, but i also dont want a really sketchy set up...

Cheers for any help

mate the intake piping is not pressurised so there should be no dramas in using any kind of piping, deffinatly not worth paying $80 for the whole job let alone a peice of pipe

my 2 cents

cheers

mate the intake piping is not pressurised so there should be no dramas in using any kind of piping, deffinatly not worth paying $80 for the whole job let alone a peice of pipe

my 2 cents

cheers

Yeh thats what i thought, my mates arent keen on helping me do it unless im using top quality stuff lol, they reckon it will look hell dodgy and they dont wanna be cutting holes in the engine bay... Told em they dont understand cos they dont have cars they can mod, there is something hell satisfying about doing your own work and NOT paying some mechanic to do it for you... Not really concerned about looks either, considering its not visible... lol.

So ill go have a look for some cheap pipe. But i also had a look for hole saws at bunnings, those bits are ridiculously expensive!! It was like 54 for just the hole saw, and then you need to buy the thing to attach it to the drill, which was 78. Anyone know where i can get some cheap ones???

the foil type pipe stuff you can get from building sites... or bunnings hahaha

They use it for heating/ducting.

does it have to be a hole saw?? what about a pencil and a jigsaw?? then file it smooth??

then you can have all the more hands on with the car....

(dont worry the more blood i spill and skin i scrape off on my car the more i like it.)

Edited by Dr Geckalo

the foil type pipe stuff you can get from building sites... or bunnings hahaha

They use it for heating/ducting.

does it have to be a hole saw?? what about a pencil and a jigsaw?? then file it smooth??

then you can have all the more hands on with the car....

(dont worry the more blood i spill and skin i scrape off on my car the more i like it.)

Ummm yuck... Lol hole saw just seems the easiest way, i dont have a jigsaw either, hole saw is definitely cheaper lol. Foil type pipe stuff eh??? Is that its real name, or? :D

hey mate

go down to a pick'pay n go or pick a part or a wreckers and get the intake pipe of a old VN ends up being around $12-14

they're the perfect size just need to cut it down a bit to make it shorter

hey mate

go down to a pick'pay n go or pick a part or a wreckers and get the intake pipe of a old VN ends up being around $12-14

they're the perfect size just need to cut it down a bit to make it shorter

Where the hell is Pick 'N Pay lol? Someone mentioned it before, so i googled it, but it only comes up with stuff in South Africa lol

oh bro your from perth...they should still have some sort of wreckers there. Just go to a wreckers and have a look, its a L shaped pipe so just needs a trim to fit right,

There is a wreckers quite close to me, reckon i should just pop in and see if they have the VN piping? If they dont, would intake piping from any car do the job, or is there something about VN's?

I might just drop in anyway, see what they have, im looking for a passenger side window switch anyway, they might have one =D

have you got a pipe bender or do you know someone who can bend it? if so, i'd just buy the cheapest 60xx aluminum you can find and bend it up. then just tig it together (or tig on vbands or however you want to make the connections) and i think you'll be good to go.

Ummm yuck... Lol hole saw just seems the easiest way, i dont have a jigsaw either, hole saw is definitely cheaper lol. Foil type pipe stuff eh??? Is that its real name, or? :P

hehehe i was meaning the air powered type as like the one i use for car audio installs, only a little fine hacksaw type blade on it.

leaves a good cut and is neat but i see how you can think that a hole saw is easier.

I think the piping is just called ducting pipe or something like that.

It is a wire coil covered in a foil looking stuff.

Go to bunnings and buy some straight plummbing pipe, along with a 90' beng pipe and a cap.

When you install a FMIC you will have a hole where the old cooler piping used to go.

Fit the piping up, adjust it to where there is a vent on the front bar, shape the pipe if you want, and then sticky tape it to the back of the front bar.

You can then fibre glass the vent onto the front bar from the inside of the vent, and spray it.

Thats what i did, it looks awesome and really helps.

SOrry its a short explanation, but if you want me to post up some pics of mine I can.

Cheers

how ya goin, old mate is right about the VN in take pipe, i just did mine yesterday, used the vn pipe, up through the quarter panel, and stuck a pod filter on the end of the skylines intake pipe. only problem with this is u have to have a cover and a ' drive by sound test' as the cops told me today wen they pulled me over for speedin and defectin. they got my exhuast too which is under limit but i need documentation.

as for sizing, 50mm isnt all that much, the VN is 90mm approx and is ideal size, in the DIY forums, the guy how posts how to do this task (cant remeber his user name) uses a funnel on the end of his that sits just inside the front bar, u need a rubbery sort of one but because the hard plastic ones crack.

ill post a pic of mine as soon as i get batteries for the camera.

let us know how u go

how ya goin, old mate is right about the VN in take pipe, i just did mine yesterday, used the vn pipe, up through the quarter panel, and stuck a pod filter on the end of the skylines intake pipe. only problem with this is u have to have a cover and a ' drive by sound test' as the cops told me today wen they pulled me over for speedin and defectin. they got my exhuast too which is under limit but i need documentation.

as for sizing, 50mm isnt all that much, the VN is 90mm approx and is ideal size, in the DIY forums, the guy how posts how to do this task (cant remeber his user name) uses a funnel on the end of his that sits just inside the front bar, u need a rubbery sort of one but because the hard plastic ones crack.

ill post a pic of mine as soon as i get batteries for the camera.

let us know how u go

A drive by sound test for what, they reckon its excessive noise or what??

I think ill just go buy some metal intake pipe from SuperCheap or Malz, metal will look neater and i imagine the sound would resonate. Will be more expensive, but i would rather spend $50 than have an ugly set up

• 1 month later...

are there any proper cold air intake kits out there? something like k&n apollo for example (pic below) except for turbo engines (that thing is apparently only good for n/a engines).

RC-5052AR.jpg

Edited by Rocky88

Excuse my ignorancee, but what is a CAI?

Just a pipe that leads from the air intake outside the car somewhere? Does it mean you remove the air pod? Are they legal?

Cold Air Intake.

Basically the factory air box with panel filter is removed and replaced with a pod filter. An enclosure is made for the pod filter to shield it from heat and reduce heatsoak. To get the most out of it a cold air feed usually from the front bar runs up into the air box.

The result is a high flowing air filter that gets fresh cold air which assists in making more power.

There are short ram air filters where the pod filter itself is positioned low behind the front bar and cold air is rammed into the pod, but the issue with this is the potential to suck up water during wet weather.