SAU Community

What Is This Noise !?

ive had this noise coming from the front drivers side for the past few weeks....dunno if its from the wheel or not but it happens after ive been driving for say about 15mins it starts, it sounds like a grinding noise, sorta sounds like the wheel is scrubbing on the liner....which its not, im thinkin it could be the wheel bearings?

its not the brakes cos when it was doin it i was driving with one foot on the brakes and it was still making that sound

i seriously dont know what it is, but it comes and goes, it might do it for 5 - 10mins then stop, then come bak after 10 or so mins, its clearly herd from inside, so its pretty loud, and sometimes i can feel the noise through the accelerator pedal. also happens wen the car just gets rolling doin like 5km/h lol

doesnt seem to be getting louder when the car gets faster, so its pretty consistent

any help fellas would be great

:)

how can u check it?

like isaid its on and off, sounds like the tyre is rubbing on the plastic liner.

does it sound like a wheel bearing? or has that got a completly different sound?

Hey, welcome to the club.

I had the same kind of thing going on and I could feel it through the accelerator too. I have NFI what the hell it was, and it was intermitant. One thing I did notice also was a growling noise when turning down a driveway or uneaven surface. It was dry sway bar 'D' bushes. Some grease, all good now. Worth trying perhaps. The noise didn't vary with speed either but at least its gone now.

ive had this noise coming from the front drivers side for the past few weeks....dunno if its from the wheel or not but it happens after ive been driving for say about 15mins it starts, it sounds like a grinding noise, sorta sounds like the wheel is scrubbing on the liner....which its not, im thinkin it could be the wheel bearings?

its not the brakes cos when it was doin it i was driving with one foot on the brakes and it was still making that sound

i seriously dont know what it is, but it comes and goes, it might do it for 5 - 10mins then stop, then come bak after 10 or so mins, its clearly herd from inside, so its pretty loud, and sometimes i can feel the noise through the accelerator pedal. also happens wen the car just gets rolling doin like 5km/h lol

doesnt seem to be getting louder when the car gets faster, so its pretty consistent

any help fellas would be great

;)

• 4 weeks later...

after falling into a massive pothole on the weekend in the city (corner george and market street, sydney !! :P ) the noise is bak more frequently, i noticed my brake discs hav abit of a lip on the edges, could this be making the noise?

only thing is, it doesnt do it all the time, its weird, and pretty loud

does wornout suspension make this kind of sound? doesnt seem to do it wen i go over bumps/potholes or up driveways though.....

any help fellas ! ?

Hey there jst joined the Skyline club and new to it aswell since i jst bought the car 2 days ago lolz, and got the same problem when i start hittin the bumps on PARAMATTA RD (FullY ShockinG) thought the seller done me over, but had closer look, it was jst like yours getting a lip in the rotor groove, it was the rotor fenders (that shield thingy behind the rotor) it was touchin, jst had to apply good amount of pressure on top and bottom n push em back (sorta bendin it backwards) did the trick.

just had to time to pull the brake calipers off, definetly not the disc touching anything, i bent the shield like u said bak abit just incase....although it doesnt happen from the moment u start driving, usualy after 10 or so mins.

the disc is fine, no movement, spins perfectly

im thinkin its a suspension component....its dam annoying and bloody loud

:)

good evening. i had a grinding sound that would come and go, more noticable when the wheels were turned.(how ever slightly). it got worse.

it turned out to be a front wheel bearing. (me no expert) jack up the front of the car and spin the front wheel with your hand and you may hear it faintly. ( depending how worn)

that fixed that grinding sound for me.

over bumps when the shocks are working abit i get a different noise more of a squeak (pppfffftttt I'm guessing i got a confused shock absorber in the front somewhere)