SAU Community

Tire Re-treads?

Hi all,

Anyone know of a good place to get cheap tire re-treads in canberra? Are they safe to use for daily driving? I am trying to avoid getting new tyres now as I am waiting on new (bigger) wheels to come from Japan so I was thinking of maybe some re-treads in the mean time??? Seems like a cheap alternative...

Cheers,

I've gotten retread for my mates trailer from Advantage maybe called Central Tyre service in Fyshwick.

Re-treads are bad news tho. I think you are better off with cheap second hand tyres. What size are you after? I might have some here you can have.

I've gotten retread for my mates trailer from Advantage maybe called Central Tyre service in Fyshwick.

Re-treads are bad news tho. I think you are better off with cheap second hand tyres. What size are you after? I might have some here you can have.

Oh I see. So what makes re-treads bad? Even as a temporary solution?

Im after 245/40/18 btw.

Cheers,

Oh I see. So what makes re-treads bad? Even as a temporary solution?

Im after 245/40/18 btw.

Cheers,

I have some old school Volk GTC originals that will be going up for sale soon with plenty of tread plus 2 extra tyres. They came on the car from Japan so have some salt water etching on them, needs a bit of TLC.. Looking at around $300 for all 6 tyres, plus the 4 wheels and the spacers to suit R33 GTST's (bolt on spacers, not slipons). Size i think is 17*7.5 Fronts and 17*8.5 Rears.

Edited by sfrizza

I have some old school Volk GTC originals that will be going up for sale soon with plenty of tread plus 2 extra tyres. They came on the car from Japan so have some salt water etching on them, needs a bit of TLC.. Looking at around $300 for all 6 tyres, plus the 4 wheels and the spacers to suit R33 GTST's (bolt on spacers, not slipons). Size i think is 17*7.5 Fronts and 17*8.5 Rears.

so the tyres arent for 18's?

Unfortunately not, they are suited to the Volks that they are currently on, which I'm pretty sure were 17s.

(Edit: I just noticed that you have a 34 GTR, so this is probably useless for you, sorry mate.)

Edited by sfrizza

I tried to find re-treads or re-moulds for my tyres awile back and found no one. Still people doing it for trucks etc but nothing for cars.

I had a great re-mould set on an old car a few years back, very sticky. Unfortunatly the cost of remoulding got so high a new tyre was nearly the same price when you take into account the labour.

Not sure about retreads, but North West Tyres in Wollongong St sell low mileage imported used tyres pretty cheap.

How cheap? Do you reckon they would have tyres to suit 245/40/18's?

They may have them in stock. North West deal with a lot of spent track car tyres in various sizes. You'll be hard pressed to get all the same tread design though.

How cheap? Do you reckon they would have tyres to suit 245/40/18's?

No idea - just give them a call - 6228 1428.

Haven't been in there for a couple of years, but back then they did seem to at least have matching pairs of most sizes.

Depends on how fussy you are with having same tyres front and back.

They also had some really weird sh1t like snow tyres :P

I tried to find re-treads or re-moulds for my tyres awile back and found no one. Still people doing it for trucks etc but nothing for cars.

I had a great re-mould set on an old car a few years back, very sticky. Unfortunatly the cost of remoulding got so high a new tyre was nearly the same price when you take into account the labour.

that's exactly why they dont bother making them anymore, they ended up costing more to make so prices went above what cheap chinese tyres cost. surprisingly enough though, we had some brand new re-treads turn up on a car at work a few weeks back..... the guy had bought them 2 days earlier down the coast somewhere and one had already fallen apart and damaged his car on the way up from the coast and the other was about to do the same..... 2 DAYS OLD!!!

i wouldn't touch retreads for anything except trucks. try any tyre shops in your area, most will hang on to decent second hand stuff (we do, ill check tomorrow if we have any 18s)

D.

your lucky Bullet32 hasn't seen this thread! he'd have given you an earful by now!!!

just get new tyres. that is all.

LOL - I HAVE seen this thread and I am laughing at the thought of 18" re-treads... :P

The reason why re-treads are so hard to find these days is that they arent cost effective anymore. Its almost always easier and cheaper to import/wholesale/retail cheap brands such as "Wanli, Accelera, Achilies" etc. than it is to re-tread or re-mould these days.

If you want cheap tyres and arent to fussed about performance then call Tempe or Ozzy tyres and ask for their cheapest nastiest tyres. :)

P.S. - With most re-treaded tyres you dont really know exactly what you are getting, for example: You could buy a re-treaded Michelin which was rated as 'V' (240kph) or 'Z' (300+kph) speed rating when new but the tread compound/pattern that has been moulded on to the old case is only 'S' (180kph) or 'T' (190kph) rated and there would be NO WAY to know for sure....

The point of the story - avoid buying re-treads.