SAU Community

Handbrake Grip, How Do Get It Off? Lol

Are you replacing it with a aftermarket grip, like a momo one or something?

I just cut mine in half. All it is a rubber like tube covered in leather. In the middle of the tube is the actual handbrke lever itself.

Its not really attached by anything. Like I said it's just a rubber-like tube around the metal handbrake itself. I suppose when they first put it on it was greased or something to make it slide on, but I found it very difficult to get it off without cutting it. Someone else might have a better idea.

I replaced mine with an aftermarket one anyway, so I wasn't bothered.

i had the same problem, mine was tattered and looked like shit. i had a spare handbrake and just took the handbrake assembly apart and mounted the spare (better) one on the only mechanism.

how the hell did you do that? ive butchered both my handbrakes (spare and one on car) trying to do this

please reveal the secret... :P

i had the same problem, mine was tattered and looked like shit. i had a spare handbrake and just took the handbrake assembly apart and mounted the spare (better) one on the only mechanism.

ok what you have to do, is take the leather boot off

then get a thin flat head screw driver under neither the handle from behind and pry it open a bit

then get a can of WD-40 with one of those long thin nossle things and get as much under the handle as you can

then twist and it will eventually work the lubricant under and it will slide off

also what i found helpful is getting a rag and some multigrips to get a good grip on it to twist

good luck :D

Ive done it & f*** it wasnt easy lol.

I used a flat head screw driver and stabbed it in all round as deep as i could from both ends of the handle. After an hour of doing so i was able to start twisting it off.

have FUN!

haha yeah i gotta momo one sitting around, glad to find this post, ive been struggling with it for the past couple of weeks.

the button sizes are different on the momo handle i got though thats why i didnt cut it off, i was kinda scared the momo wouldnt fit on and i would need to replace the old one ..

gonna try lubing it up soon then cheers

these momo grips etc you guys have...

do they replace the button aswell? basically got this shithouse drift button thing that always falls out and wont always engage without f**king around with it. really annoying.

but i have no spare original button and i think the rod which the button screws onto looks rooted (ie thread is wrecked)

any links to what they are? where i can get one from?