Mod Improvements For 0-100, 1/4 Mile Times

So,

We most people are getting the following mods:

- Z tube/CF Tube

- Plenum Spacer

- CAI/Pop Charger

- Ground kit.

I've been reading gains of 15wKW or 20whp, for all these mods combined

What I want to know effect these mods will have on our 0-100km/h and 1/4mile times.

I'm looking at taking my car to the track in a few months for some 1/4 mile runs, so I guess I'm curious whether it'll improve my times.

for 03-05 Coupes

0-100

6MT about 6.0

5AT about 6.3

1/4mile mid 14's

I'm guessing that if the Grounding kit improves the 5AT's shifting, wouldn't that bring its acceleration closer to that of the 6MT?

Edited by danny_tq

and semi slick tyre..

remove back seat, remove any audio, remove some driver weight... (these cost nil)

I've always kinda viewed that as "cheating", as most of the time you won't drive with a setup lke that.

Personally, i would be more interested in what my day to day setup can do, not a stripped out setup only for testing purposes. I won't deny that it will help though. Only my 2cents..

To the OP,

Where did you find those acceleration times ? I've always read that stock 6mt is around 6.6seconds. Just curious.

wat i meant was, i don think the few mods can get him tat much ahead... rather than that, just remove all the weights~ he is only trying to get a better time on the straight line anyway.

my bad

they are 0-60mph times, mainly from US reviews.

for 0-100kmh add about 0.2 to those times

6.2 6MT

6.5 5AT

edmunds.com (our drive.com.au equivalent) did a test on the g35 got 6.2 0-60mph, cant find the link right now.

Edited by danny_tq

my bad

they are 0-60mph times, mainly from US reviews.

for 0-100kmh add about 0.2 to those times

6.2 6MT

6.5 5AT

edmunds.com (our drive.com.au equivalent) did a test on the g35 got 6.2 0-60mph, cant find the link right now.

Ahh ok American numbers. It most likely has a "roll out" 30cm margin in that time where the car is not timed. There was a comprehensive-ish post on 350z tech regarding American testing methods for 0-100 and 1/4 mile. That 30cm rollout would shave off around 0.3 or so seconds from a proper timing from standstill.

It explains why American magazines are publishing low 13s quarter and low 5s (almost dipping into 4s) for the new 370Z whilst Aussie mags are getting the best of high 5s/6 and high 13's for the 1/4. E.g American 370z 0-60mph is 5.2 and Aussie 370z 0-100 is 5.8 so 0.3s for 30cm rollout and around 0.3s for the difference between 0-60mph and 0-100km/h.

Also the G35's in the US sometime after introduction got the VQ35DE revup motor with a bit more power like our local 350Zs. Whereas the 350GT skylines never got an engine upgrade when facelifted/series 2 (Nissan should've done it though grr.. would've paid the extra and enjoy the higher redline).

Fwiw i've timed my car at 5.7s for 0-60mph with hard-ish shifting and a good launch which i'm pretty happy with as i've got the premium pack/tv/Bose and sunroof (more weight than usual). Done with one of those g-tech meters which while not completely accurate, is a good tool to compare to other cars long as you're using the same unit.

Off the top of my head, some other numbers from the same meter for comparison

Auto VY SS with breathing mods, 5.6s

My old FTO (116kw atw with light weight reduction) 6.5s

VW 4cyl Bora auto 10.7s

Ae101 Corolla with modded 4a-fe auto 10s

Stockish bugeye wrx moderate launch 6.14s

My old Mazda 3 MPS, breathing mods and 17psi (Hardish shifting, good launch, car required shift to third) 6s

Bugeye wrx with medium mods and a slipping clutch lol 5.6s

2jz-ge supra (so non turbo) i think was ~6.3s with breathing mods

Anyways, not complete accuracy but it was all in fun haha. Plus you can see the times are fairly close to what magazines get after you factor in stock vs mod and accounting for 0-100km/h and 0-60mp/h.

While it's not complete accuracy

Hrmm might make the trek to wsid in a few weeks now...curious heh.

Ahh ok American numbers. It most likely has a "roll out" 30cm margin in that time where the car is not timed. There was a comprehensive-ish post on 350z tech regarding American testing methods for 0-100 and 1/4 mile. That 30cm rollout would shave off around 0.3 or so seconds from a proper timing from standstill.

It explains why American magazines are publishing low 13s quarter and low 5s (almost dipping into 4s) for the new 370Z whilst Aussie mags are getting the best of high 5s/6 and high 13's for the 1/4. E.g American 370z 0-60mph is 5.2 and Aussie 370z 0-100 is 5.8 so 0.3s for 30cm rollout and around 0.3s for the difference between 0-60mph and 0-100km/h.

Also the G35's in the US sometime after introduction got the VQ35DE revup motor with a bit more power like our local 350Zs. Whereas the 350GT skylines never got an engine upgrade when facelifted/series 2 (Nissan should've done it though grr.. would've paid the extra and enjoy the higher redline).

Fwiw i've timed my car at 5.7s for 0-60mph with hard-ish shifting and a good launch which i'm pretty happy with as i've got the premium pack/tv/Bose and sunroof (more weight than usual). Done with one of those g-tech meters which while not completely accurate, is a good tool to compare to other cars long as you're using the same unit.

VW 4cyl Bora auto 10.7s

My old Mazda 3 MPS, breathing mods and 17psi (Hardish shifting, good launch, car required shift to third) 6s

Anyways, not complete accuracy but it was all in fun haha. Plus you can see the times are fairly close to what magazines get after you factor in stock vs mod and accounting for 0-100km/h and 0-60mp/h.

IN addition 0-60mph = 0-96km/h

so the extra 0.2 second (based on v35 times) I mentioned is extra time needed to go from 96km/h to 100lm/h

VW 4cyl Bora auto 10.7s

hrmmm ur probably right about the rolling start but here's a link to a rough guide of specs for the 350GT (site i believe is american based) and also has tuning mods that u can do to boost performance.

http://nissanskyline.6te.net/GT350_spec.htm

btw Touge K

whats mods do u have? 5.7 for 0-60 is very fast for our car!

They're listed in my sig, it's nothing drastic. The sticky tires do help though as does the manual box for launching! Maybe a bit slower now though as i've changed the sussy and it won't squat as much on launch.

Ah yes, the American rolling start! I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned in the magazines; I only went snooping when I read that the 3.5l FWD American Camry manual was posting 6 secs to 60mph on either C&D or R&T. I thought that can't be right.

Does anybody have their 0-100 and quarter mile times verified at a track by any chance?

With the revup motor on the later G35s, were they the ones that had the oil consumption problem? I'd love to have the HR engine but imagine if we have that problem here! Unsupported and without warranty ... :D

Edited by pudogg

remove back seat, remove any audio, remove some driver weight... (these cost nil)

I find it ineffective, personally.

The FM platform cars are front heavy. Due to the suspension they also axle tramp a fair bit off the line. Pulling weight out of the rear just exacerbates the problem, and might actually make your times worse.

I know that, on the circuit, my car feels more planted and stable with my spare in the boot.

If you can pull weight out of the front, then that would be worthwhile.

IN addition 0-60mph = 0-96km/h

so the extra 0.2 second (based on v35 times) I mentioned is extra time needed to go from 96km/h to 100lm/h

Bear in mind that Nissan also "cheats" a bit to make the time look better.

With a 206kW engine's stock redline, our cars don't quite reach 100km/hr. I am pretty sure the 0-60mph times only require 1 gearchange. Running a 0-100km/hr times definitely require 2.

You should see low 14s, depending on the driver. My Z ran a 14 flat with a drag racing nub (i.e. me) with a Hitech catback and dead 17" RT215s. I know I didn't have the Unichip at the time - I can't recall if I had the JUN flywheel in. The V35s weigh more, but also seem to dyno higher as well. The softer suspension tune might also give you a bit more traction off the line.

Edited by scathing

• 1 month later...
So,

We most people are getting the following mods:

- Z tube/CF Tube

- Plenum Spacer

- CAI/Pop Charger

- Ground kit.

I've been reading gains of 15wKW or 20whp, for all these mods combined

What I want to know effect these mods will have on our 0-100km/h and 1/4mile times.

I'm looking at taking my car to the track in a few months for some 1/4 mile runs, so I guess I'm curious whether it'll improve my times.

for 03-05 Coupes

0-100

6MT about 6.0

5AT about 6.3

1/4mile mid 14's

I'm guessing that if the Grounding kit improves the 5AT's shifting, wouldn't that bring its acceleration closer to that of the 6MT?

Hi , I am new to this and wondering if you can answer something for me. I have a 350GT Skyline AT and after having a TT 300ZX MT found it was missing some grunt so I had an APS Twin Turbo System added , it is the system they use in the 350Z with an extension to the exhaust ,mild tuning it is now 252kwrw. What do you think it would do the 0-100 now

Hi , I am new to this and wondering if you can answer something for me. I have a 350GT Skyline AT and after having a TT 300ZX MT found it was missing some grunt so I had an APS Twin Turbo System added , it is the system they use in the 350Z with an extension to the exhaust ,mild tuning it is now 252kwrw. What do you think it would do the 0-100 now

depends? more power doesnt necessarily mean quicker 0-100 time. those APS TT kits sure make the 350 burn some serious rubber. i think you will find it more difficult to pull "consistent" 0-100 times in your car now.

with RWD cars consistency is one of the most difficult things when going for quarter/track/0-100 times. with my tuned skyline on a gtech it was so difficult to control the power my times would spread as far as over a second from 0-100. One of the main reasons why i sold the car.

with the 09 WRX i have now the times are very very consistent and are within .2 of a second each time i give the 0-100 a run.

but the RWD does take a lot more skill to pull off a "perfect" launch. only to get there you need rediculous amounts of practice.

What DrewII said :starwars:.

Realistically, if you had good rubber and nailed a really good launch and shift to 2nd, i would dare guess your time should be flat 5, or very high 4's. Too hard to guess really.

I notice you said your car is automatic though, so i think the best way to get consistent 0-100 in your tt 350gt would be to just push the stick to manual stick, and floor it off idle and make sure you leave traction control on lol so the computer does all the work and thus you get consistent times. You could try the brake hold and dial in a bit of revs for some boost but i'm pretty sure that would be too much power and the ecu will just cut in to get traction back.

0-100 doesn't really favour heavy cars, and the 350gt is no lightweight.. Your TT kit will show it's true potential if you take it down the 1/4, versus just a short 0-100km/h test.. TT 350z's run around high 12 and low 13 sec quarters from memory which will suggest a low 5 or high 4 0-100 but don't forget they run that quarter time on the dragstrip where the road is super grippy.

depends? more power doesnt necessarily mean quicker 0-100 time. those APS TT kits sure make the 350 burn some serious rubber. i think you will find it more difficult to pull "consistent" 0-100 times in your car now.

with RWD cars consistency is one of the most difficult things when going for quarter/track/0-100 times. with my tuned skyline on a gtech it was so difficult to control the power my times would spread as far as over a second from 0-100. One of the main reasons why i sold the car.

with the 09 WRX i have now the times are very very consistent and are within .2 of a second each time i give the 0-100 a run.

but the RWD does take a lot more skill to pull off a "perfect" launch. only to get there you need rediculous amounts of practice.

I agree , the traction control does help and the excelleration is heaps better now with TT and playing with the tiptronic is not like MT but something different to play with. Bit sad that I did not get a MT but still enjoy the AT and more so with the TT giving it a bit more go. I do not think I would ever pull off a perfect launch , pefrect lunch I can do :starwars:

What DrewII said :) .

Realistically, if you had good rubber and nailed a really good launch and shift to 2nd, i would dare guess your time should be flat 5, or very high 4's. Too hard to guess really.

I notice you said your car is automatic though, so i think the best way to get consistent 0-100 in your tt 350gt would be to just push the stick to manual stick, and floor it off idle and make sure you leave traction control on lol so the computer does all the work and thus you get consistent times. You could try the brake hold and dial in a bit of revs for some boost but i'm pretty sure that would be too much power and the ecu will just cut in to get traction back.

0-100 doesn't really favour heavy cars, and the 350gt is no lightweight.. Your TT kit will show it's true potential if you take it down the 1/4, versus just a short 0-100km/h test.. TT 350z's run around high 12 and low 13 sec quarters from memory which will suggest a low 5 or high 4 0-100 but don't forget they run that quarter time on the dragstrip where the road is super grippy.

Thanks for your info , as I probably would never run it any where I could time it at least I have an idea and will not talk too much s--t if asked. It just felt so much quicker so I thought I would ask some one that knows. As a Jap import it is governed to 180 , but for a great grand dad thats enough , still got the boy inside wanting to get out and now and then he does, haha :starwars: