SAU Community

V35 Goodies Put On Today...

Ok All,

I took delivery of my V35 sedan yesterday and put the following on today:

1. Nismo type ABS plastic front grille (approx $160USD delivered, from the USA)

2. Carbon Fibre radiator air diffuser (approx $50USD plus postage, from the USA - didn't fit well, so I took it out again)

3. Bonnet struts x 2 ($100 delivered, from Taiwan)

4. Cold Air Intake with K&N filter (approx $120USD delivered, from the USA)

5. Clear side indicators (approx $40AUD, 2nd hand from Dubai)

--------------------------------------------

1. Nismo type front grille (1 x flathead screwdriver "FHS", doublesided tape, 4 new plastic push-in type plastic fasteners)

I spent 20 mins figuring out how to remove the existing chrome grille and broke all 4 of the plastic push-in type fasteners at the top of the grille. Use a FHS to loosten the top bit of the fastener, then use fingers to pull them out. My advice is to be careful with these, or be prepared to buy new ones. Luckily I found a whole bag of these plastic type fasteners from my old man's garage. Note: I did not break them getting them out, but pushing them back in!!! Very brittle...

On the original chrome grille, apart from the top 4 plastic fasteners, it is held in place by the grille's push-lock anchors and are impossible to reach by hand. There is 1 at the far end of grille, then, under the grille, there are 4 more of these buggers. Do not break them!!! This is where my 20 mins went...Whan you need to do is use a FHS and shove it into small gap on each end to unlock the fasteners. Use extreme caution and force and eventually, they will pry open. Once u've unlocked these, you can then open a gap into the grille/glass composite reinforcing to get to the bottom 4 anchors. With these 4 anchors, there is no way to use a FHS, so use your finger and squeeze the plastic locking mechanisms on the anchors and slowly pull towards you.

I know I should have took some pics to show u, so maybe I'll take some shots tomorrow and highlight what I am going on about...

Once the grille was removed, everything else was simple (since the grille was sprayed by the panelbeater)....

If anyone wants help sourcing and installing one, please let me know.

20090628V35010grille.jpg

2. Carbon Fibre radiator air diffuser

FUDGE!!! Not happy Jan!!!! This has got to be the most worthless piece of aftermarket junk I've ever put it...The lever section wasn't cut correctly and the fit was SHIET...What a waste of my money...Anyway, rather than waste the piece of junk, I an planning to get it modified to fit and use it as the template for a metalsheet maker to make some bulk lots in aluminium or stainless steel. Please let me know if you are keen, if there is enough interest, I'll go pursue it...

This air diffuser sits between the glass composite radiator support and the front grille and is supposed to divert more air into the stock airbox...I feel that it's more bling than performance though...

3. Bonnet struts x 2 (12mm socket wrench for the bonnet nuts, 10mm socket wrench for the panel bolts)

Time after time, this Taiwanese seller has not let me down. 1st I bought a Mazda 3 kit off him, then an MX5 kit from him. The kits are really good quality. Anyway, it was a simple install as all the brackets were bolted down by original holes and took about 10 mins, so no drilling and can be removed later as easily as they were put on. Not much tips/advice here, but his installation instructions were are bit crap. Overall, very satisfied with the 2 struts, they hold the hood up high with no troubles, just like those euro cars. I am gonna have the bonnet stand/stalk thing removed tomorrow as I don't need it after this kit...

20090628V35012gas3.jpg

20090628V35011gas2.jpg

20090628V35008gas.jpg

4. Cold Air Intake with K&N filter (FHS, nose plier, 10mm socket wrench)

This proved to be a very easy task. Remove the 2 nuts and 2 screws off the V35 engine cover, then there are 2 bolts holding the whole system in place. Once removed, go the the stock air intake's 1st cowl section that sits on top of the glass-composite reinforced radiator support; there are 2 push-in type plastic fasteners. Use a FHS and pry them open. Remove cowl.

U don't need to undo the stock airbox to get to the filter as the whole stock air intake can be lifted up. But, before you do this, loosen the clamp from the plenum with a FHS and slide the rubber coupling from the plenum. The air return feed about 10cm away with a nose plier. Do not use brute force, treat like a lady but be firm and persistent...

You now need to tug on the stock system in an upwards pull and it should all come out. There is 1 more section of the stock air intake that is far down passenger side headlight. You can choose to remove this or leave it like what I did. If you want to remove it, then you will need to remove the plastic wheel arch on the passenger side front tyre.

For my CAI kit, I needed to use the stock MAF sensor, so you will need to unbolt MAF sensor from the stock airbox housing (where the air filter sits).

The kit was fairly basic, so I just pushed the rubber couplings in, and fastenede the clamps. I then bolted everything together and fond a good mounting spot for the bracket that came with it. It was a flat piece of aluminimum, so I had to bend it and it was just long enough to mount on one of the existing bolt holes. I also put the 1st section of the stock air intake cowl back on.

The whole process took about 40 mins...The kit was quite good and came complete. The K&N filter came pre-oiled too...If anyone wants help sourcing and installing one, please let me know.

20090628V35009kn.jpg

5. Clear side indicators

Due to the nature of how easy these are to remove once you know how they are secured, I am not going to share the installation process with you guys as I fear my clear indicators may go walkabouts in a carpark somewhere in the future. However, if you want help, please contact me with a pic of you having a set in your hands and I'll spill my guts if you need my help.

------------------------------------

Here are some pics of the car...It's a bit dirty as it came from the panelbeaters who gave all the side panels a quick spray to get rid of the many scratches and 2 pin dents...

Reverse Cam...

20090628V35005cam.jpg

Front of car after everything was installed...

20090628V35006front.jpg

Side shot...

20090628V35007front2.jpg

Passenger side....

20090628V35001door.jpg

The Panasonic LCD TV/Satnav...has anyone got a simliar system? It's quite useless and is only used for the reverse cam function (Satnav is for Japan, TV frequency is for Japan)...I am seriously going to remove the whole system shortly as it attracts attention (and I don't want my windows broken)...

20090628V35003tv.jpg

The Panasonic Satnav 'brain'..has a SD Card slot...

20090628V35002satnav.jpg

A 6 disc MD stacker in the glove box...another piece of useless junk....there's also a dangling microphone next to the instrument cluster (must be part of a redundant phone kit - will go dismantling the dash, etc later to find out what it is attached to)...

20090628V35004md.jpg

The key...can anyone recommend me on how to get another cut in Melbourne? These are a hassle (read the long thread on this)...

20090628V35016key-1.jpg

And, FYI - Insurance was with Just Cars, approx $1200 with Rating 1 Protection, Western Suburbs of Melb.

Nice write up and congrats with the new sedan. Is your oem grill the chrome one? If so how much do you want for it? Also can you point me to where you got your grill from in the us?

Thanks!

Nice write up and congrats with the new sedan. Is your oem grill the chrome one? If so how much do you want for it? Also can you point me to where you got your grill from in the us?

Thanks!

I'll only be selling the chrome front grille in a month's time once the dust has settled on my new aftermarket front grille and that I am 100% going to keep it.

I'll only be selling the chrome front grille in a month's time once the dust has settled on my new aftermarket front grille and that I am 100% going to keep it.

Ok thanks. Keep me in mind if you want to sell either one of them. IMO the aftermarket one looks much more aggresive and better looking than the OEM one. Do you have the link to where you got the aftermarket one?

Thanks.

Good work. I need to get me some of those bonnet struts!

By the way, I reckon I saw your car about 3 weeks ago at a strip of shops on duke st in sunshine (tint-a-car, #1 tyres, few other mechanics). Unless there is another navy v35 sedan in the area...

I only got my V35 from Richmond on Sat, prior to that, it would have done laps around the Dandy area and Eastern Suburbs getting complied, resprayed, etc...

I peeled off the 350GT badge today and put a K&N sticker on it, so it shouldn't be hard to spot in the West...

Ok All,

I took delivery of my V35 sedan yesterday and put the following on today:

1. Nismo type ABS plastic front grille (approx $160USD delivered, from the USA)

2. Carbon Fibre radiator air diffuser (approx $50USD plus postage, from the USA - didn't fit well, so I took it out again)

3. Bonnet struts x 2 ($100 delivered, from Taiwan)

4. Cold Air Intake with K&N filter (approx $120USD delivered, from the USA)

5. Clear side indicators (approx $40AUD, 2nd hand from Dubai)

--------------------------------------------

1. Nismo type front grille (1 x flathead screwdriver "FHS", doublesided tape, 4 new plastic push-in type plastic fasteners)

I spent 20 mins figuring out how to remove the existing chrome grille and broke all 4 of the plastic push-in type fasteners at the top of the grille. Use a FHS to loosten the top bit of the fastener, then use fingers to pull them out. My advice is to be careful with these, or be prepared to buy new ones. Luckily I found a whole bag of these plastic type fasteners from my old man's garage. Note: I did not break them getting them out, but pushing them back in!!! Very brittle...

On the original chrome grille, apart from the top 4 plastic fasteners, it is held in place by the grille's push-lock anchors and are impossible to reach by hand. There is 1 at the far end of grille, then, under the grille, there are 4 more of these buggers. Do not break them!!! This is where my 20 mins went...Whan you need to do is use a FHS and shove it into small gap on each end to unlock the fasteners. Use extreme caution and force and eventually, they will pry open. Once u've unlocked these, you can then open a gap into the grille/glass composite reinforcing to get to the bottom 4 anchors. With these 4 anchors, there is no way to use a FHS, so use your finger and squeeze the plastic locking mechanisms on the anchors and slowly pull towards you.

I know I should have took some pics to show u, so maybe I'll take some shots tomorrow and highlight what I am going on about...

Once the grille was removed, everything else was simple (since the grille was sprayed by the panelbeater)....

20090628V35010grille.jpg

2. Carbon Fibre radiator air diffuser

FUDGE!!! Not happy Jan!!!! This has got to be the most worthless piece of aftermarket junk I've ever put it...The lever section wasn't cut correctly and the fit was SHIET...What a waste of my money...Anyway, rather than waste the piece of junk, I an planning to get it modified to fit and use it as the template for a metalsheet maker to make some bulk lots in aluminium or stainless steel. Please let me know if you are keen, if there is enough interest, I'll go pursue it...

This air diffuser sits between the glass composite radiator support and the front grille and is supposed to divert more air into the stock airbox...I feel that it's more bling than performance though...

3. Bonnet struts x 2 (12mm socket wrench for the bonnet nuts, 10mm socket wrench for the panel bolts)

Time after time, this Taiwanese seller has not let me down. 1st I bought a Mazda 3 kit off him, then an MX5 kit from him. The kits are really good quality. Anyway, it was a simple install as all the brackets were bolted down by original holes and took about 10 mins, so no drilling and can be removed later as easily as they were put on. Not much tips/advice here, but his installation instructions were are bit crap. Overall, very satisfied with the 2 struts, they hold the hood up high with no troubles, just like those euro cars. I am gonna have the bonnet stand/stalk thing removed tomorrow as I don't need it after this kit...

20090628V35012gas3.jpg

20090628V35011gas2.jpg

20090628V35008gas.jpg

4. Cold Air Intake with K&N filter (FHS, nose plier, 10mm socket wrench)

This proved to be a very easy task. Remove the 2 nuts and 2 screws off the V35 engine cover, then there are 2 bolts holding the whole system in place. Once removed, go the the stock air intake's 1st cowl section that sits on top of the glass-composite reinforced radiator support; there are 2 push-in type plastic fasteners. Use a FHS and pry them open. Remove cowl.

U don't need to undo the stock airbox to get to the filter as the whole stock air intake can be lifted up. But, before you do this, loosen the clamp from the plenum with a FHS and slide the rubber coupling from the plenum. The air return feed about 10cm away with a nose plier. Do not use brute force, treat like a lady but be firm and persistent...

You now need to tug on the stock system in an upwards pull and it should all come out. There is 1 more section of the stock air intake that is far down passenger side headlight. You can choose to remove this or leave it like what I did. If you want to remove it, then you will need to remove the plastic wheel arch on the passenger side front tyre.

For my CAI kit, I needed to use the stock MAF sensor, so you will need to unbolt MAF sensor from the stock airbox housing (where the air filter sits).

The kit was fairly basic, so I just pushed the rubber couplings in, and fastenede the clamps. I then bolted everything together and fond a good mounting spot for the bracket that came with it. It was a flat piece of aluminimum, so I had to bend it and it was just long enough to mount on one of the existing bolt holes. I also put the 1st section of the stock air intake cowl back on.

The whole process took about 40 mins...The kit was quite good and came complete. The K&N filter came pre-oiled too...If anyone wants help sourcing and installing one, please let me know.

20090628V35009kn.jpg

5. Clear side indicators

Due to the nature of how easy these are to remove once you know how they are secured, I am not going to share the installation process with you guys as I fear my clear indicators may go walkabouts in a carpark somewhere in the future. However, if you want help, please contact me with a pic of you having a set in your hands and I'll spill my guts if you need my help.

------------------------------------

Here are some pics of the car...It's a bit dirty as it came from the panelbeaters who gave all the side panels a quick spray to get rid of the many scratches and 2 pin dents...

Reverse Cam...

20090628V35005cam.jpg

Front of car after everything was installed...

20090628V35006front.jpg

Side shot...

20090628V35007front2.jpg

Passenger side....

20090628V35001door.jpg

The Panasonic LCD TV/Satnav...has anyone got a simliar system? It's quite useless and is only used for the reverse cam function (Satnav is for Japan, TV frequency is for Japan)...I am seriously going to remove the whole system shortly as it attracts attention (and I don't want my windows broken)...

20090628V35003tv.jpg

The Panasonic Satnav 'brain'..has a SD Card slot...

20090628V35002satnav.jpg

A 6 disc MD stacker in the glove box...another piece of useless junk....there's also a dangling microphone next to the instrument cluster (must be part of a redundant phone kit - will go dismantling the dash, etc later to find out what it is attached to)...

20090628V35004md.jpg

The key...can anyone recommend me on how to get another cut in Melbourne? These are a hassle (read the long thread on this)...

20090628V35016key-1.jpg

And, FYI - Insurance was with Just Cars, approx $1200 with Rating 1 Protection, Western Suburbs of Melb.

Can you please give me the supplier where you sourced the "Nismo type ABS front grille" as I would be keen on getting one myself. I also have a 2003 V35 in the same color..thanks, Anthony

I have one of those panasonic systems. I think it great it plays home movies no probs and has the reversing camera works well. Dont know about the sd slot i havent treid to use it. But my "brain" as you put it is under the seat.

Manda23....

Thanks for the update on the Panasonic thingy...I did some research today online about my unit, it's a CN-HD9000 Unit with a 16GB 2.5inch hard drive. The only problem is:

1. I have no instruction booklet

2. The remote for the unit is missing

3. I still don't know how the unit works as the whole entertainment system is in Jap...

Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated! I mean, do you need to physically remove the hard disk and copy stuff to it? And, do you need the remote?

-----------------------

Others....

I am not supposed to be promoting services/products of others, hence, the hesitation of giving you a contact. Just try ebay USA. If that really fails, then PM me directly please...I can help, but I cannot promote....

Edited by siu_loong_bao

Manda23....

Thanks for the update on the Panasonic thingy...I did some research today online about my unit, it's a CN-HD9000 Unit with a 16GB 2.5inch hard drive. The only problem is:

3. I still don't know how the unit works as the whole entertainment system is in Jap...

Any light you can shed would be greatly appreciated! I mean, do you need to physically remove the hard disk and copy stuff to it? And, do you need the remote?

-----------------------

Others....

I am not supposed to be promoting services/products of others, hence, the hesitation of giving you a contact. Just try ebay USA. If that really fails, then PM me directly please...I can help, but I cannot promote....

I don't think any mod would have a problem with you posting a link to the items, its more refering than promoting.

Anyways, PM me with the grill info please.

Thanks.

I searched eBay US to buy mine. Just make sure that it's ABS and not fibreglass. From memory, it was $160USD delivered and in offwhite colour.

I could arrange a group buy, but for sedans only via the seller....If anyone is keen, PM me and I'll start a GB in a new thread, and I'll see if I can get the price down via this seller. I also doubt there will be huge savings on GB postage due to the item taking up a lot of box volume and can't be stacked, so it's best they send it directly to you.

If you are desperate, please just search eBay US.

Is that mounting bracket around the monitor seperate, does it just retro fit into the cubby/navi screen spot?

Ill buy the mounting brack off you if you aren't going to use it post removal.

• 1 month later...

Ok, update...

Since the 1st post, this is what I have been up to...

Items installed:

1. All internal bulbs changed to SMDs.

2. 350z suspension

3. Car alarm

4. Earthing kit

Items not yet on:

1. HID D2R low beams (to replace to factory HID)

2. HID H4 hi/low beams

3. Angel eyes x 4 (not fluoro tubes, but SMDs)

4. Porsche 911 LED style fog lights (SMDs)

5. Double DIN SatNav/DVD/CD/MP3/Touchscreen/TV/Bluetooth/ipod stereo

6. rear LCD monitors

7. Reverse cam (to replace the factory one)

8. reverse sensors

9. low profile WRX spoiler (it looks wicked on the sedan)

10. NGK iridium Level 6 spark plugs

Items in transit:

1. Stillen Front Strut Tower brace

2. Stillen dual pipe cat-back exhaust

3. Stillen sway bars

4. RDA slotted rotors and EBC Greenstuff brake pads (from rs73's GB)

5. 15 row oil cooler kit

6. D1 spec wheel nuts

Other things to come/consider:

1. either 19" or 20" rims...not sure if I still wanna go 20" deep dish or monoblock, so spent the money on other stuff

2. debadging the boot lid opener (found only on Series 1) and relocating the reverse cam to the bumper

3. stainless steel braided brake lines

4. Plenum spacer

Wish list:

1. Stillen headers

2. Stillen lightweight pulleys

3. Stillen camber arms

4. Stillen engine damper

5. Stillen master brake cylinder stopper

This is what happens when you buy a JDM Import - you just can't stop the modding bug....

The worst bit is that I have only weekends to do stuff to the car...

Have a Panasonic Sat Nav with DVD in my M35..

Link to Panasonic manuals

Fire up translation software and off you go..

Have finally got mine set up. Have installed a PA-11 NIS iPod kit to allow iPod to plug into Nissan stereo. Also have Satnav L&R outputs plugged into spare inputs on PA-11. This means that movies played on sat nav (NTSC region free or region 4 I think) now play with sound through stereo. Have also fitted Griffin Tune Center so that I have more control over iPod and can see what track is playing etc. with the composite and L&R from that plugged into sat nav... Also means I can play movies off iPod on screen, sound through stereo...

I do have the remote for my sat nav, but do not need it for any of the adjustments that I do for the picutre. I think it was more for the sat nav functions.

Next time I am in Japan, I will get a collegue to try to get me a panasonic camera.. Spare input is there just waiting to be used...

Manda23....

-----------------------

Others....

I would be thinking twice about the Stillen cat back exhaust. I imported one for A$1100 and it was dented (obviously done at the factory as the box was undamaged) the twin pipes were 10 mm out of centre and the sound was deafening. Plus the joins were slip jointed with clamps - really agricultural. I had to subsequently have a local exhaust place modify it for $500 by adding a new centre muffler and flange joint and now it is excellent apart from tailpipes being out of centre. Stillen didn't bother replying to my emails after the first one!

johnr,

is yours the gen 1 or gen 2? i know the gen 1's are very very noisy....mine is the gen 2 and is $955USD plus $300USD shipping...it's made for the sedan with the twin X cross pipe design.

so far, i've heard Stillen makes good stuff, so that's why i've opted to buy one...wish me luck...

johnr,

is yours the gen 1 or gen 2? i know the gen 1's are very very noisy....mine is the gen 2 and is $955USD plus $300USD shipping...it's made for the sedan with the twin X cross pipe design.

so far, i've heard Stillen makes good stuff, so that's why i've opted to buy one...wish me luck...

Mine is the single pipe cat back system and was $1100 including shipping. It got louder the longer I had it. Good luck

• 1 month later...

Update...

Bought a set of 2nd hand WALD Streifen 19" for the V35....19x8.5 +38 Offset. They fit quite well. Too bad that they have some gutter rash and the clear coats are cracking...Apart from that, I quite like them....

DSC02469edit.jpg

DSC02473edit.jpg