SAU Community

"p" Plate Rules??

NA_R33

Just wondering how the points work on ur p's, im sure i read that u get 4 points per year, but today i was told by a police officer its 4 for the 3 years?? Can neone back this up?

Ne help much appreciated.

Cheers.

u have red P's for a year with 4 points the green P's with 7points for i think 2-3 years, but now they changed it to really strickt rules ive heard: u need to drive with a full licence holder on your P's at all times and they extended the period by a few years as well... i think

not in qld, u dont need to have the actual plates on ur car, and dont need to have a full licence holder.

this is taken from the QLD RTA site, how does everybody interpret this?

"Learner and provisional licences

If you accumulate four or more demerit points in one year while the holder of a learner or provisional licence, you will be sent a Notice of Accumulation of Demerit Points. You will have a choice of either a:

three month suspension period, or

continue driving on a good driving behaviour period for 1 year."

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/driver....learnersdemerit

Does everybody interpret that as 4 points per year?

Err.. In QLD you get 4 points on your p's and have your provisionals for 3 years. Yes. The police officer was correct. I've just come off my p's onto my opens.

Also remember, while on your p's you have a 0.00 alcohol reading as well. Not that you should be drinking and driving at all. I detest any type of drink/drug driving.

But yeah. 3 years for your provisionals then you go onto your opens. Unless I think, if your over 24 you go onto your provisionals for 1 year, then go onto your opens.

You are given 4 points for THREE years.

If you loose 3 points within those three years, you have 1 point until the end of those three years when you are accredited with 12 points on your opens.

If you loose that last one point within those last few years, you loose your licence.

So, basically. 4 points for 3 years. So if you got your P's on the 31 July 2003, you won't get your opens until 1 August 2006. As of the 1 August 2006 you will have 12 points (if you are not fined within those three years)

If you do get a fine, the points are given back to you after 3 years from the date of the offence.

Comprende?

Wrong Nismoman18. Nismogirl is right... Battle of the Nismo Sexes...

Definately 4 points for 3 years whilst on your P's in QLD.

If you lose a point, you get that point back in three years... This is regardless of the license you hold. Opens or P's.

With P's, you have 4 points to play with and 3 years on your P's.

With Open's, you have 12 points to play with and forever on your opens (if your careful, sensible, lucky...)

HTH

I dont wanna start an arguement, but i lost my licence and went on good behaviour. the copper that booked me said ohh if only i didnt get u that last point u could have all yours back in 12 months. damn smart arse. The rules have only been changed very very recently i think, giving your point back after 12 months. NA_R33, why do u ask, lost a few latly??? I dunno i could be very wrong.

i just wanted to know, cause i only have 2 left, and i was always under the impression it was 4 per year. which would be cool means i get my other 2 back in a few months but if not i gotta be very careful.

ooops though u ment the NSW licence system, it still puzzles me to see NSW drivers in QLD and they have their stupid plates on as if ure in QLD u dont need them, i got done a few times in NSW for not having them....

as far as i know u get the point/points back after like 3years, and the 12month on 1 point demerited driving is not worth it, cause then if u get done u loose your licence for even longer, so i reckon its better to take the suspension for the time.

public transport aint that bad, lol

If the rules have changed recently then I could very well be wrong. Hopefully NismoGirl will find out for sure today.

You used to be able to get a driving history from QLD Transport for like $15 showing all your driving related infringements... Can't remember if it showed total points remaining though....

Just checked www.transport.qld.gov.au and this is what it said...

If you accumulate four or more demerit points in one year while the holder of a learner or provisional licence, you will be sent a Notice of Accumulation of Demerit Points. You will have a choice of either a:

three month suspension period, or

continue driving on a good driving behaviour period for 1 year.

So there you go...

you get the 4 points back per year. i know this becaust i lost 1 point for bald tyres then another 2 points a few months later. then after 1 years time i got another fine for bald tyres and it was 1 point. which i didnt loose my licence. then i got done a few months later and lost my licence.

on your p's you get the points back 1 year after the offence was commited.

because if you got done for a stop sign (3pts) then it was 1 year from when your licence was issued the next day, then you awould be back on your four pts, which is incorrect.

you get the points back 1 year after you lost em