SAU Community

Ht18 Rx7 Turbo On Rb25det

hey got my hands on a ht18 turbo to replace my stock one. told i can get my factory exausht housing bored out to fit on so it bolts up. has anyone tried this and how has it gone? cheers

one of my friend did this conversion on a RB20det....

and he said it was slightly laggy compared to a rb25 turbo....

maybe the RX7 turbo is a good upgrade on the 25.

don't take my word for it....

for the machining part, i am not sure...

maybe you could consult a machine shop on that matter...

I thought the Ser 4/5 RX7T's got the HT18S version .

It's been a long long time but from memory those turbo have a reasonably large turbine with a smallish compressor wheel , probably something to do with Rotors not liking turbine inlet pressure (backpressure) .

Again from memory these turbos internally were a bit like a Japanese T3 shaft wise .

As they are probably not so good on a piston motor because they have different gas flow characteristics .

Also it would be a shame to make all the changes to get it on an RB and discover it was cactus .

Your calls but I think turbos are too much stuffing about to bother fitting one that was an unknown quantity - bush bearing ones I mean . By the time you remove and reco it you've spent the price of a more modern one so why not go that way first up .

A .

swapped a couple of parts for it so not to bothed plus can get it bored out for round 150 so might aswell try.

once i get it going ill let ya know if its any good

cheers

• 2 months later...

I just bought one from a s5 rx7, that had a high flowed exhaust wheel done by Bill at ATS. It was built to suit an rb20 and made 210kw on 18psi, was apparently a little laggy but came on hard.

So who knows how you'll go with a stock exhaust side, aside from the machining. Interesting to see though!

I did this on an rb20 nics 9 years ago , i modified the stock ecu myself to alter fuel and timing . ended up with 160rwkw on 11 psi odd. It was a fun car, i know it sounds pitifully low power these days , but it was on very low boost and just street tuned by me. We only found out the power at a dyno day after i sold it ...... to give an idea a twin turbo boosted supra made 210 rwkw on the day on that dyno.

I just had a flange plate made to suit the s4 , got it professionally welded onto the rb20 manifold, then went nuts with the die grinder smoothing it all out.

Gary

Yep. Cool. Well i'm still waiting to tune mine and see what its capable of, But drove it for the first time today. I'd say its boosting a touch later, but its hard to really notice. It seems a lot more willing to rev and performs much better.

No idea on current boost pressure though. Its gotta hit a dyno with some bigger injectors