SAU Community

Car Crash...

mark01

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark,

The biggest question in regard to you getting money back for your car, that as far as i can see no one has asked, did the other guy have insurance? If he doesnt have insurance then you could be massively out of luck. I knew of someone in a simialr situation where the other guy that caused the accident didnt have insurance either and it ended up going to court with an outcome that the guy that caused the accident had to repay $10 a week because he didnt have the money, so although you may eventually get your money its of no real help because of the time span.

Fingers are crossed for you that he does have comprehensive insurance.

Not to lecture you as there has already been plenty of that, but this does highlight the need for even 3rd party insurance, because atleast that way you have some one on your side. And i know the financial issues that can effect having insurance, i pay something ridiculous like 4k each year with the cars i have, but i like to know that they are protected, and one of them i only drive 2 or 3 times a year if its lucky, but if the shed its stored in burns down its not covered as contents and i would be throwing 70k down the drain so im forced to have it insured. And as someone mentioned previously, without insurance if the car got stolen you wouldnt have a leg to stand on and all you could do is hope its recovered in reasonable condition, which is unfortunately unlikely with a GTR.

Anyway, good luck with it all, i hope it works out in your favour somehow.

Ben

Hi Mark,

The biggest question in regard to you getting money back for your car, that as far as i can see no one has asked, did the other guy have insurance? If he doesnt have insurance then you could be massively out of luck. I knew of someone in a simialr situation where the other guy that caused the accident didnt have insurance either and it ended up going to court with an outcome that the guy that caused the accident had to repay $10 a week because he didnt have the money, so although you may eventually get your money its of no real help because of the time span.

Fingers are crossed for you that he does have comprehensive insurance.

Not to lecture you as there has already been plenty of that, but this does highlight the need for even 3rd party insurance, because atleast that way you have some one on your side. And i know the financial issues that can effect having insurance, i pay something ridiculous like 4k each year with the cars i have, but i like to know that they are protected, and one of them i only drive 2 or 3 times a year if its lucky, but if the shed its stored in burns down its not covered as contents and i would be throwing 70k down the drain so im forced to have it insured. And as someone mentioned previously, without insurance if the car got stolen you wouldnt have a leg to stand on and all you could do is hope its recovered in reasonable condition, which is unfortunately unlikely with a GTR.

Anyway, good luck with it all, i hope it works out in your favour somehow.

Ben

That's right, something similar happened to my dad years ago. He went through the lights, someone ran a red, went into the side of him and wrote off the car. They didn't have insurance, had to go to court, they then had to pay $20 or so a fortnight for like 5 years (cant remember exactly) - then my parents had to mess around with them either not paying, then booking more court time to get them to pay, etc etc. I definitely suggest insurance....speaking of which i still need to organize :S.

Hi Mark,

I hope this thread has been of help.

I should have mentioned that you should keep a copy of all the paperwork you fill out and of all correspondence and reports.

You are entitled to get a copy of the police accident report too.

I would also ask for a copy of your GPs notes too (assuming you had to see a GP to get a certificate for the week off of work).

And it would be to your advantage if you could file everything so that you can find it later. I am still dealing with insurance companies for accidents that occurred in 2002, 2003, 2007 & 2008. It is a long process and insurance companies will delay paying you for as long as possible. You may be asked to produce documents that are generated at the time of the accident. For me that is nearly 7 years ago and counting!