SAU Community

nkg plugs query

qikr33

I hate hearing the same question asked all the time,but no-one so far has been able to help me.I use to run ngk pfr5g-11 they are platinum plugs.I spent almost 3k on getting the top end rebuilt and when i got home i checked the plugs after a week or so to see whether they had been correctly gapped as i was getting heaps of pinging and didnt know if i was to blame the weather .Ifound the car had ngk plugs in it and the number on them is PFR8B-9 does anyone know if this is the irridium version or has the mechanic installed wrong plugs.

Yeah those platinums are probably too cold for your application. I suggest you just get some cheap coppers now to try sort things out. Try and get a hold of the NGK BCPR6ES/BCPR7ES or the BKR6E/BKR7E, with the BKRs as first preference. If you have got many mods, get the 7 heat range plugs, or stick with the 6 if you havent modified your car very much.

Also, plugs dont cause pinging unless they overheat in the combustion chamber, and 8 range plug will not even get close to doing that..

Plugs can cause pinging if they foul, the carbon holds alot of heat. My 7 heat range plugs foul quite quickly in city traffic, it takes a gentle high rpm, low/medium load blast to clean them up before I can put my foot in or else it pings.

Depends on the fuel/ign mapping for the car, probably good to start with platinum PFR6G-11 and gap to about 0.8mm or smaller till no missfire. Copper equivalent is BKR6E (and higher number for colder plugs).

PFR7B (and higher numbers) are for SR20DET, not sure if its listed for RB25.

Hope that helps or just add more confusions :) :)

thanks for the reply guys.The plugs installed i did a search on yahoo and when i type in the code all it talks about is irridium plugs???.When i look at the electrode it has the normal pin type on the bottom but the spark collector has a built in rectangular plate which my old platinum plugs didnt??? any reason why ..thanks for the help so far.

I suggest you go to www.ngkspark.com.au and have a look there.

Also, I WOULD NOT put ANY kind of copper plug in whatsoever!!!!

Best to stick with platniums as a minimum.

The PFR8B-9's the mechanic installed are incorrect!!!

Also contrary to what others have said, the cold plugs will overheat and can cause pinging!!!

Do a search on the spark plugs thread that I replied to and you will find the correct part number for a R33 for both Platniums and Iridiums!!

Hope it helps!!! ;) ;) ;)

thanks guys .The car pinged when i picked it up and i thought the boost was set a little high.Now after checking out the link i realize that CHARLIES MOTORS have installed wrong plugs.Hence i am going to see him and carefully shove them up his aaarse thanks fellows.

What is wrong with coppers? I can run bigger gaps with my V-Power coppers compared to my Platinums and I doubt the Iridiums could do any better. Thats testiment on saying how much iridiums are better than coppers....