SAU Community

2003 350gt Coupe Starting Problem

Hi guys,

Battery went flat a few days ago, battery is about 6 years old as it is an 03 model. Battery cells were gone.

Had the battery replaced. Went to the petrol station to fill up about 3 km's down the road. Locked the car then unlocked. Went to start the car and the rpm's went up as normal then dropped which lead the car to turn off. Oil, battery and engine light came on. Second attempt same symptoms. Third attempt turned on however this time the rpm completely dropped just above 0 then all of the sudden went back to 700rpm drove off as car was running. On the third attempt it almost sounded like the car wanted to turn off. Got home locked the car and left it locked for about an hour, i again attempted to turn the car on same thing engine turned on, rpm dropped all the way and turned off.

Please help my auto electrician does not know what is wrong with the car, it is the first time he has worked on a car like this.

Kind Regards Yianni

Hi Chris not to sure.

I have been doing some research on a few infiniti websites and sourced another person that had the same problem. He referred to the procedure on how to reset the ecu, throttle pedal release and idle air volume learning and it seemed to have resolve his issue so i might give that a go. Its definitely not an immobiliser problem as for starters the car would not even turn on. Apparently the battery of the car was disconnected overnight so it reset the ecu however the auto electrician didn't teach the ecu which regulates the idle etc.

Edited by T88turbo

Do you need to do this evrytime u disconnect the battery for a long period of time? I remember disconnecting mine when I went overseas for 4 weeks came back reconnected and everything was fine.

the same issue happened to me when i DC my battery to install the plenum spacer.

however after driving the car like a few times, the ECU re learned again and the problm went away.

hey guys this might sound realy stupid, though i had the same problem, and it wasnt my ecu or battery... it was acutally my spark plugs..... when was the last time u checked your plugs? see if there is any oil getting to these plugs, if so see a mechanic.

Nope plugs were replaced 2 months ago.

It only happens on hot starts, its all normal when the engine is cold. This is because when the engine is hot it does not need to rev high, revs drop instantly to about 600rpm as normal.

Stuff it im going to take it to nissan, i bet you its the ecu that needs to be programmed. Remember the ecu regulates the idle, and a thousand other things. I tried this procedure on the infiniti website that resets and teaches the ecu but it didnt work.

Here is the link if you need it.

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=356397

T88 Turbo the EXACT thing happened to me as i said in my previous post.

Just when it is hot start give it a rev, so the car doesnt stall.

then after 1 week of driving this problem went away. i think the ecu relearned it.

Now that you mention it, my 300gt has been doing this as well..

On hot starts, revs drop really low and on a few occassions stalled. Most times, after starting, I just rev it a little and its all good.

has never stalled on me when actually driving only when starting the car. Might have to look into it a bit more.

thought about the fuel type you have been using?? i have another car that has trouble starting when i use shell fuel. BP and mobil have been fine. friggen italian cars! lol

it might be as simple as that for you

hi bilistic,

Did you have your battery disconnected more than 24 hours? I can understand the ecu learning your driving habbits however how does it learn not to stall on hot start ups by reving it are you sure this worked? and did it stall at the beginning when you had your battery changed? I can't understand why it doesnt stall on cold start ups???

hi bilistic,

Did you have your battery disconnected more than 24 hours? I can understand the ecu learning your driving habbits however how does it learn not to stall on hot start ups by reving it are you sure this worked? and did it stall at the beginning when you had your battery changed? I can't understand why it doesnt stall on cold start ups???

hey mate

yeh i had my battery disconnected for over 1 week when i installed the plenum spacer (long story lol)

when i finished the install i reconnected the battery and i did an ecu reset straight away before i even started the car again

the car started fine and i took it for a 20min test drive for the ecu to start learning again. i got home and parked the car. i had to move the car again after 5 min and when i started the car - stall.

It kept doing this for about 1 week. Cold starts were always fine. Any start where the engine went into cold start mode (higher revs than normal) it didnt stall. When it was hot (example, went to petrol station to fill up, turn on car - stalled) the car stalled. To get around it stalling, every time i started the car i just blipped the throttle to make sure it didnt stall. I was doing this so, that like you i was going to go and get it checked out.

However, after about 1 week, the problem went away. now i can start my car and its like back to normal again.

Hope this helps.

I use BP Ultimate 98 Octane all the time since i have had the car, and the previous owner did also.

Edited by BLISTC