SAU Community

Used coilover help

DVS-8OR

Make sure they are dead straight with no bumps or kinks in the body. The cost of repairing a slightly bent or bumped one is more than the value of the set and the quality of drive is unacceptable if they were accident damaged

Go the widest (ie 50mm is better than 40mm) you can afford.

decide if you want height or rebound adjustable or both. I see no value in height once you set your height to your setting thats it. plus everytime you adjust your height you must get a four wheel alignment.

Look at good brands

Worlds best are Ohlins and DMS.

Then they go down all the way to brands that are worse than the OEM.

make sure that the new price is not less than second hand price, Ive seen Teins advertised for higher second hand than new.

I run top of the line Ohlins and think they are the ducks guts.

• 1 month later...

hi guys, read my bilstein/kings springs review!! http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=33660

obviously if you can afford ohlins, then go for it, i also hear these are the best.

As stated already above, ride height adjustability isnt all that great, i never adjusted mine... Also the damping control/adjustability isnt what a lot of people think. Just because a shock has 16way damping from hard to soft, doesnt mean you can set it soft one day for cruising and hard for though the hills. From talking with lots of suspension places i was told this more than once (the general gist):-

"unless you have adjustable spring rates like on a race car, you dont need adjustable shock rates. You set the damper rate according to the spring rate you are running. If you decide to change the damper rate then you will either be over damping or underdamping. If you do put the settings to harder for firmer suspension, it will feel firmer, but this is not the way to do it"

ive been the 2nd hand coilover route, and i personally wouldnt recommend it when you can get NEW suspension for similar money. Also said above, jap coilovers arent suited to aussie roads! I had heard this before i bought mine, but figured that so many people use them that it'd be ok. I found out the hard way!