SAU Community

Im240 Emissions Test

Blinky101

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate went through test today, cost him $750 with a fail, he talked to some guy today or yesterday in DPI about getting a permit to move his car and said he was very helpful. could have been stormtrooper?

When your mate failed, did the guys tell him what he needed to do, or give any advice on what he could do to help him next time to pass the test?

Also, did they give him an extension on his work order to complete work, or just deem the car unroadworthy till he was ready to test again?

Blinky

he actually asked the guy who done the testing and he said that the cats were no good ( brand new bullet type cats) and to put the stock ones back on and get them as close to the headers as possible to get them to heat up (so cold cats dont work properly). also get a retune on his computer as he had the same tune setup for a bigger cam. he had run outta time on his extension so he needs a permit to drive it down there every time now.

just found out that the test is done on a dyno that is sitting in a workshop (literally) with cars highly modded car getting moved around and stuff being painted near the the dyno. high chance of contamination whilst test is being done :thanks: . the dyno should be in its own room with positive air pressure from outside to stop this and give a proper reading.

This is not surprising.

There are only 2 types of cats that pass this test. OEM and Kosteckis Cats lol

& I rather buy another OEM cat than use theirs.

Also does anyone know of any modded imports passing the test there 1st time? All I have heard was some modded commodores passing & considering they are a commodore work shop I wouldn't be surprised.

I remain pessimistic on the chances of a import passing (unless its 100% stock), until I see some examples of modded imports passing, not some modded commodore.

Guys,

i think we all need to stress less about this honestly, i was on the power cruise the other week and sending out 1.5 meter flames from my 34 (i know needs a tune) and i have huge black spots on my car seriously it is that bad on a white car that you can see it from miles away and yet not been pulled over yet even with cops being behind me (too slow to get in front :yes:) it is how you drive and you wont get pinged and wont need a test seriously stressing over something that you have not had happen is silly.... honestly o no my dad broke his leg and the cast was done wrong now i dont want to break my leg and need a cast just in case... i know that is dumb and by all means flame me but so is all this talk about emmisions when there is nothing we can do..

i just read on anilag that the im240 test is now on hold for 6 months and there is aclass action suit against KEC .if you have had to do the test contact rob @ volatile customs and he can fill you in on the technicalities

As per below but they will just ask for a 4/5 gas and even then no cammed, De Cat Pipe fitted car with a rich tune will pass.

- MEMBER ALERT -

ARD, AADA, IVD, AAR, ATD, FID, ERD MEMBERS

11 September 2009

IM240 EMISSIONS TESTING

I am pleased to advise that the Government has announced today that there is to be a moratorium of up to 6 months on IM240 vehicle emissions testing so that greater engagement with industry can be undertaken and to improve accessibility to emissions testing.  A broad industry based committee is to be established to deal with the issues that have been raised with the MTA in relation to the existing testing regime.  It is anticipated the first meeting of the committee will be held within a fortnight.

It can be taken as read that the previous emissions testing arrangements will continue for the next 6 months until new procedures have been approved.

I thank all industry members for their valuable input into this process and recognise the fact that the Government has responded to industry concerns in this way.

Yours sincerely

PETER FITZPATRICK AM, JP, FSAE, GAICD

Chief Executive Officer

^^^

YAY!!! :whistling:

So whats gonna happen to the people currently with a yellow telling them to do a IM240 test, can they get that crossed out? I hope the people who had already done that test get some kind of compensation for the wasted $$$ (especially if you failed) & time...

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Guys,

i think we all need to stress less about this honestly, i was on the power cruise the other week and sending out 1.5 meter flames from my 34 (i know needs a tune) and i have huge black spots on my car seriously it is that bad on a white car that you can see it from miles away and yet not been pulled over yet even with cops being behind me (too slow to get in front :) ) it is how you drive and you wont get pinged and wont need a test seriously stressing over something that you have not had happen is silly.... honestly o no my dad broke his leg and the cast was done wrong now i dont want to break my leg and need a cast just in case... i know that is dumb and by all means flame me but so is all this talk about emmisions when there is nothing we can do..

+1 dont drive like a dick, you'll be fine. of course when driving normally, dont act too sus.

now that the emisions test is on hold, we can at least relax for now. hopefully the improved emissions test will be better than when they 1st started.

As per below but they will just ask for a 4/5 gas and even then no cammed, De Cat Pipe fitted car with a rich tune will pass.

- MEMBER ALERT -

ARD, AADA, IVD, AAR, ATD, FID, ERD MEMBERS

11 September 2009

IM240 EMISSIONS TESTING

I am pleased to advise that the Government has announced today that there is to be a moratorium of up to 6 months on IM240 vehicle emissions testing so that greater engagement with industry can be undertaken and to improve accessibility to emissions testing. A broad industry based committee is to be established to deal with the issues that have been raised with the MTA in relation to the existing testing regime. It is anticipated the first meeting of the committee will be held within a fortnight.

It can be taken as read that the previous emissions testing arrangements will continue for the next 6 months until new procedures have been approved.

I thank all industry members for their valuable input into this process and recognise the fact that the Government has responded to industry concerns in this way.

Yours sincerely

PETER FITZPATRICK AM, JP, FSAE, GAICD

Chief Executive Officer

Yeh yu still need to meet the ADR so that might mean as little as 50- 100 ppm HC cams and injectors aint goin to pass.

Guys,

i think we all need to stress less about this honestly, i was on the power cruise the other week and sending out 1.5 meter flames from my 34 (i know needs a tune) and i have huge black spots on my car seriously it is that bad on a white car that you can see it from miles away and yet not been pulled over yet even with cops being behind me (too slow to get in front :) ) it is how you drive and you wont get pinged and wont need a test seriously stressing over something that you have not had happen is silly.... honestly o no my dad broke his leg and the cast was done wrong now i dont want to break my leg and need a cast just in case... i know that is dumb and by all means flame me but so is all this talk about emmisions when there is nothing we can do..

Well actually when i got yellow stickered i wasn't doing anything wrong, the cop followed me all the way from Midland to Glen Forrest, i was watching him the whole way. He would change lanes whenever i did just to stay behind me. Then he pulled me over, bam, yellow sticker.

Awesome news about the test, hopefully they can work something out that is fair this time

Cars will have to do a 4/5 Gas test as there is a hold on IM240 only not emissions testing so don't think it is over, IM240 will come in and when it does look out as the department will push it.

Passing 4/5 gas is "easier" not "easy"........

At least the next roll out of the IM240 testing will be fairer, hopefully KEC doesn't still hold the monopoly on it and I hope the class action goes through.

Also, if anyone has any legit tips and info on what mods to do to make a modified exhaust legal, I would be happy to hear them. I want to start doing upgrades before the next roll out so when it comes, I am ready.

That is if I am off the hook for this one!!

Blinky