SAU Community

New Licensing Centre At Osborne Park

DRIFTT

Cut and paste from an email I was sent with a couple of interesting points.

The Department of Transport’s Licensing Services (DPI's new name) is pleased to announce a new Osborne Park Vehicle Examination Centre (VEC) and will commence operation at 34 Howe Street on Monday 7 September 2009.

Initially the Osborne Park VEC will be open on a low profile basis with a period of testing the new work processes to ensure that they are as effective and efficient as we anticipate.  The ceremonial opening will occur sometime in mid October, by which stage, we should be operating at full capacity.

The new Osborne Park VEC has some distinctively different features which include:

A new customer handling procedure.

Inspection hoists (rather than inspection pits) using state-of-the-art suspension and steering testing equipment.

Customer reception area and lounge – customers are not involved in inspection.

Bookings are required for all inspections.

The VEC is dedicated to light vehicle inspections i.e.

Cars, taxis, people movers, limousines (up to 6 m wheelbase)

Utilities, vans and light commercial vehicles up to 4.5 tonne GVM

Small buses and campervans with MRC (GVM) up to 4.5 tonne

Motorcycles

Small trailers (un-braked trailers only) – no caravans

Hmmm, This is good for me because its close and I can just roll my car down the hill to get there.

What worries me is the fact that customers aren't involved in the inspection.

And why can't this be a general licensing center where you could pay rego/other general stuff.

Hmmm, This is good for me because its close and I can just roll my car down the hill to get there.

What worries me is the fact that customers aren't involved in the inspection.

And why can't this be a general licensing center where you could pay rego/other general stuff.

Its at the old WA suspension shop. If you have seen it as i do everyday you will notice it doesn't have enough parking to accommodate as a general licensing center. Also the general post office is usually where you would go to pay for your rego and fines which helps to reduce amount of people at licensing centers.

Cheers.

Edited by Woodys

suspension testing equipment? for stock suspension? because they wouldn't bother testing adjustable coilovers etc they'd just fail u..

There is no reason they cannot test adjustable coilovers they are still shocks and springs like normal cars... people pass the pits with them so i would assume they will and can test them

There is no reason they cannot test adjustable coilovers they are still shocks and springs like normal cars... people pass the pits with them so i would assume they will and can test them

im sure they could test them if that wanted to :P but why would they waste their time using their new fan-dangle suspension testing equpment on my (and most other car enthusiasts) car just to say what a guy standing in a pit can:

"sir, your control arms, coilovers, castor rods etc are not allowed to be adjustable, u wont get permits, take them off"

i dont think i'll bother going there unless i had all stock suspension.. my 2 cents

No rose joints are allowed due to their failure rate. Cheap shit can break pretty quick on a big enough bump.

No arms etc are allowed to have threaded adjustments (other than steering rack ends) Reason being it is meant to make a weak point. This is one reason manufacturers only give adjustment via eccentic cam bolts...which gives very little adjustment mostly.

Height adjustable suspensions (Coilovers) can be passed legally. However, they will pick them IF the body of the shock absorber is height adjustable (Such as D2, G4 and others). If only the spring seat is adjustable such as the Tein SuperStreet then it can be passed.

However a new rule that seems to have come in that if the vehicle can be lowered lower than the legal limit or 100mm ground clearance, then it can be failed. There are ways around this though to keep the coilovers in, and make them so they can not be lowered lower than legal height.