SAU Community

Standard Turbos

r32r32

Hey guys,

Just wondering what everyone else has done! I've nearly finished rebuilding my rb26 and don't want to put the ceramic turbo's back on as I've heard many disaster stories. Everyone says that getting them rebuilt with steel wheels isn't worth it and one shop said i'd be better of buying new garrets that are slightly different and pop riveting on the old plates. Are there any new garrets made that replace the old stock ones? The car has to go through regency! Is this a viable option? Or does everyone just get there standards rebuilt? If so where in Adelaide as the place I asked didn't want know about it.

Cheers

MAtt

Go throught Regency with stock turbos, then put on a set of Garrett GT2860-5's (bolt straight up). Im making 324rwkw on 18psi but with a built motor you'll be able to wind up the boost and make 350-400kw's :) Unless you've only done a standard rebuild?

ring up Bill Keen as the RB26 factory turbo is a garret job he can supply you with paper work that states they cannot be purchased brand new anymore and will supply regency happy paper work that says the replacement is 2860's

ring Bill he can explain it better

Adelaide Turbo Services

Bill Keen

953 Marion Rd

Mitchell Park SA 5043

(08) 8377 2511‎

That's what I will probably end up doing but I'm just paranoid about killing the new engine! I guess if i just drive in and drive out. Have you been hassled about your turbos!

I've only been pulled over twice since installing the RB26 and both times the cops didn't even ask to see the engine, and one of those times was at a mobile defect station at the bay. I've been pretty lucky so far. Looking in my engine bay you wouldn't even know that my turbo's aren't standard. Just keep the standard heat shields on and no one will ever know unless you go to regency.

My mate has been through regency with the Garret version of the 2530's on his gtr and passed. My other mate went through last week with a gtrs on his s15, no questions asked. Keep stock heat shields on and the engine bay stock looking.

ring up Bill Keen as the RB26 factory turbo is a garret job he can supply you with paper work that states they cannot be purchased brand new anymore and will supply regency happy paper work that says the replacement is 2860's

ring Bill he can explain it better

Adelaide Turbo Services

Bill Keen

953 Marion Rd

Mitchell Park SA 5043

(08) 8377 2511‎

Madaz,

Is that all variants of the 2860's

not claims been told if straight from the horses mouth martin donon to my knowledge claims a similar thing

f**k

i wish i knew about this before i shelled for a pair of blown turbos and paid a $200 deposit on a rebuild

fkn spewing

-D

yeah I suppose at the end of the day, it's all about emissions.......if you fail that due to a turbo change then you're gonna be stuffed no matter what you're running

the turbo change itself isnt going to cause emissions

its the ability of the auxilliary gear

with a top end turbo, if they got the right resolution for their afms, o2 sensors, the ecu control over their injectors and sparks, then i dont see a reason why the emissions cant be equalled or bettered

-D

yeah I know how things work Ben but generally peeps that run 2860's also usually add a set of 700's (or similar) followed by an ECU upgrade to pull the fuel back out and all of a sudden you've gotta a ride that won't get thru Regency......but I take on board what you're saying.

yeah I know how things work Ben but generally peeps that run 2860's also usually add a set of 700's (or similar) followed by an ECU upgrade to pull the fuel back out and all of a sudden you've gotta a ride that won't get thru Regency......but I take on board what you're saying.

thing is tho, regardless of the fuel air and boost ur pushing in the mofo, if ur afms and fpr are working fine, u should be able to get a 100% epa approved tune all the time. as long as ur ecu and sensors can deal with the settings, or they have more samples per second to correlate the lambda against, u shouldnt have an issue. ur right tho pete, most people who do the cheap mods dont care about such things but im going to make my car a case in point if necessary. a 100% street gtr with legal mods and none to shabby performance.

its laik that shampoo add.

it wont happen overnight, but it will happen

-D

not claims been told if straight from the horses mouth martin donon to my knowledge claims a similar thing

Spoken to Martin myself about this issue and he seems to think it should be no issue at all :P

Spoken to Martin myself about this issue and he seems to think it should be no issue at all :banana:

I like the should part :D

Does anyone know someone who has actually been through with such a letter?