SAU Community

Are Qld Roads Better Than Nsw Roads

The Bogan

Depends what sort of roads, and where. Country roads are, as usual, quite shit due to lol population density etc. In the city its a mixed bag. Older roads are usually shit, some inner city arterials are just old 2lane roads with 4 lanes or more stuck in it etc. However, new roads are built, how would you say "properly" these days (with islands, shoulders and the like). Suburban roads are a mixed bag, though the surface is usally kept in good order.

Oh and traffic congestion is a bitch, but nowhere near as bad as sydney from what i've been told.

I live about an hour out of Brissie and some of the roads out here are atrocious. Unsealed shoulders, potholes, large bumps where the council's quick-fix's have been run over by trucks all day long. I used to ride about 50km each way to work and back (on some pretty busy roads I might add) and they are unsafe on a bike at night.

It doesn't really seem fair, especially after the last rego increase, and all the dollars that are made through fuel tax's etc.

i lived in nsw and now in qld and nsw roads are sooooo bad.as soon as you pass the border you notice the difference. i have had better dirt roads than nsw sealed roads.

theres my 2 cents

I would go as far as to say that NSW roads are some of the worst in the developed world.I have driven on roads in 3rd world countries that are better than here.They get resurfaced nowhere near as often as they should and when they do they just dont seem to last long before Potholes take over.Lousy to think that you can spend big dollars on lightweight rims and have good ole Sydney Potholes totally stuff your rims in no time.

We're on a road to nowhere

Come on inside

Taking that ride to nowhere

We'll take that ride

We're on a road to nowhere (hey!)

We're on a road to nowhere (heugh!)

We're on a road to nowhere (ha! ha!)

After living in sydney for a while most queensland roads are better than nsw ones but they have really gotten a lot worse than they use to be.

I agree that after the price hike in rego etc they should be better than they are

yeh same i lived in sydney/wollongong for most my life then moved to goldy few years back... i hate the nsw roads...especially PARRAMATTA rd in the city lol ( well just about any where in the city)

ben...

Parramatta road is pretty special, I got stuck there one night in my 32 it was pissing down and it was the first time driving in sydney so i had no idea where i was going, good times

yeh same i lived in sydney/wollongong for most my life then moved to goldy few years back... i hate the nsw roads...especially PARRAMATTA rd in the city lol ( well just about any where in the city)

ben...

Wollongong Roads are a bit of a mix, but for the most part pretty bad, particularly around the CBD. The dodgey road repairs never cease to amaze.

Don't really drive around Sydney but as far as being a passenger goes, I've seen some pretty bad roads... must say I'd prefer driving on Brisbane roads

The roads up in North Queensland, Bowen / Mackay area are atrocious, potholes everywhere.

even worse passed that ...ie heading towards townsville.

my old laser used to always get swallowed up.

but yeh agree that bowen roads are no good.... he he it was supposed to have been/ intended to be the capital of QLd years back too

been a while since i went NSW way, but yeah they were bad once you head over the border.

as for here, brisbane city roads are a dream in comparison to the warrego highway. im jsut glad my car is still standard, and will stay that way till i no longer have to drive what truckies refer to as the goat track.

they do fix the potholes pretty quick, but the undulations are crazy, getting light in your seat at 110km/h on a so called highway is a wierd feeling. i feel bad for my shocks every time i drive up it.

I find the majority of roads are pretty decent. I don't know why people consider them crap half the time.

One of the roads near my place is 100kph. Sure, the road is crap if you drive on it @ 100kph... But then it's not really safe to drive that speed anyway (I have no idea why the limit is 100kph).

Country roads don't tend to have the same speed limit scrutiny on them so if a rural/country road feels dodgy then slow down. It's common sense really. Speed limits are limits, not targets. You don't HAVE to hit the limit.

i wouldnt say they are that bad, but they certainly aren't that good either.

what shits me is the quality of the prep work, we've all seen how a new road is being laid down, then a few weeks later one pot hole, then another then another etc etc etc then you get crews going along with those tar guns fillings in the cracks along the road, causing ruts in the road for water to pull in.. all because the ground underneath wasn't compacted as it should be, or the right topcoat wasn't put down.

all so the higher powers that be can save a buck or 2

Yeah, nothing worse than when a dodgy contracter does the roadworks and it starts falling apart straight away.

There was a spot near stanthorpe that had been fixed up with a major roadwork at least twice over a 10 year period, as well as lots of minor fixes (by that i mean, fixing of patches, not filling up potholes). why? they built the dam thing over a underground stream without making any alterations for that fact.

A few months ago I drove from Brisbane QLD all the way down to Mildura VIC and I would have to say NSW roads are 100 times better than QLD roads as the further we drove out of QLD the smoother the roads seem to get. Granted that it was the inland/country road and that the roads were as wide in some area's as I would have liked it was still very clear that NSW roads were a lot smoother. I also used to ride a motorbike alot and would frequently enter the top end of NSW and they have some brilliantly smooth curvy roads with speed camera signs all over the shop. I highly recommend going for a cruise down there one day as you will enjoy.

And as for rural QLD roads I think they are better than our city roads by far. As I recently went for a cruise with a couple of other SAU members up to Maleny and across and down through Nambour and those roads were far smoother than any of our city roads. A can comfortably say that as I drive right across the city every day to and from work.

In my opinion its NSW roads ftw.

brisbane roads are f**ked.. potholes, uneven roads, road works that are left for weeks unfinished with no signage, signs saying there is roadworks ahead when there isn't (then you think to yourself, i just drove 40km/h for 5 k's for no f-ing reason),

f**king western freeway a few weeks ago, the dumb kents put up signs saying merge left, roadworks ahead in right lane - so everyone gets in the left lane only to get around the corner to see the roadworks are in the left lane so huge panic as everyone slams their brakes on to avoid hitting the orange markers / council workers, then at the end of the road works it had a sign up saying 100km/h drive safely yet it was in a 70 zone..

/end rant.

p.s brisbane roads are shit.

Edited by defari