SAU Community

Bank Card Scam

Hanaldo

please tell me you're joking saying cash is safer than banks...

...you do know they have security measures and insurance in place for these things, right?

...you do know you're safe... i was affected first hand by this swindle yet i'm the most nonchalant one here... why is that?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing, I have 2 accounts & I only ever use my daily one when I shop at these dodgy places. & that account only ever have a max of $100, so if they somehow take it in one hit, wouldn't be too much of a problem.

EDIT: Still would piss the hell out of me though, as I'm a cheapa*se & $100 AUD = over $600 Chinese Yuan which is way more than what some of the lower class earns in a month.

:| Peak in mundaring? What were you doing there? Theres a BP in midland.......

Seriously though, I'm never using my card again... Cash ftw. Many thanks for the warning.

Oh yeh, hell no i wasn't putting petrol in my car, just that peak in mundaring is an IGA as well, i always go there to buy things. Never petrol though lol.

There is insurance for people that have money skimmed, as long as they didn't contribute in any way to the money being taken. I think it is just easier to use cash, rather than get my card cancelled, wait for my new card (and have to use cash in the mean time), go back to using card, card gets compromised again, cancel card, wait for new card, etc.

This is the list I got emailed.

List of venues to avoid:

McDonalds Canning Vale

McDonalds Maddington

McDonalds City

McDonalds Success

McDonalds Cannington

McDonalds South Perth

Coles Southern River

Coles Gosnells

Coles Thornlie

Coles Maddington

Coles Forest Lakes

Peak Service Station Bayswater

Peak Service Station Kwinana

Peak Service Station Maddington

Peak Service Station Mundaring

Peak Service Station Roleystone

BP Service Station Wembley

BP Service Station Carlisle

BP Service Station Manning

BP Service Station Osborne Park

No chance lol, the woman calling sounded at least 40. I know what all my mates sound like, not too mention they read out some of my recent transactions? My number is in the phone book, if they skimmed my card details then they would know my full name, not a very common last name, easy to find my number.

It may have been a legit call from the bank, but the fact that it was a withheld number, they didn't answer the phone first time, they asked me for details which the bank said they would never do (Also what Joe said about confirming my identity), and the woman told me my card had been cancelled and then the bank said there had been no record of any phone call, nor had there been any application to cancel my card.

I didn't lose any money, but i am very sure that had i not called the bank then i would have. There are a few known affected areas near me, namely Peak in Mundaring. Thats where i wouldve been affected as i don't eat mcdonalds

If they were able to access your account at an atm to check on your transactions, then why would they call you to tell you to cancel the card? They'd just take money out and then rob someone else.

Very odd

Yeh i got that same list.

They told me that they were cancelling my card and said i should destroy it, but then the bank had no application for cancellation of the card. It is odd i agree

I had my card cancelled 2x Fridays ago.. luckily Mary was home to receive the call from the NAB warning us to get cash out before 7pm.

PEAK Bayswater is where my card was compromised, no money was extracted though.

Edited by bubba

I believ it's McDonalds that has caused this...it's a mass plan of global domination.... first they supersize us... then steal our money

God damn Ronald McDonald.... :)

Cash is win, can only be stolen if someone sticks their hand down the side of your jeans pocket.....

Faark, BP wembley and osborne park!? Good thing I've only ever paid cash for petrol...

So you get bashed & robbed because you carry cash = Hospital expenses + you don't get your money back.

I'll take the bank card & eftpos thanks!!!

BTW I was skimmed last week. They withdrew $500 (all i had left in that account) from an ATM in Melbourne.

Lol well unless you walk around with the money in your hand, nobody knows you have cash, so if you get bashed then you were going to get bashed whether you had cash or no cash.

Unlucky about getting skimmed though mate, any idea when you get your money back?

I agree, that does have validity but there is a large % of which happen after an ATM withdrawal, they see you take it out.

Bank said about 2 weeks to process. :)

your lucky you got a reply man.... i had 5g'z pinched from my account and the people doing it were withdrawing from a ATM in Romania..... always cover your pin with a wallet or a sheet of paper when entering in

Bank took a month to re-inburse my money so i was moneyless up until then !