SAU Community

Bank Card Scam

Hanaldo

Hey all,

Im not sure if im posting this in the right section, i was going to post it in the wasteland but thought it may get more attention here? If any of the mods want to move it then i have no complaints, i just thought i should warn people.

Basically i have just been caught out by the ATM and EFTPOS skimming/PIN capturing that some of you may have heard about. If you are not aware, what happens is electronic devices are fitted to the ATM or EFTPOS device at retail outlets, so that when a customer uses their card, the device records their details. I was aware of these scams going on, and as such had not been using my card for anything other than internet transactions. If i needed money i went into the bank and withdrew it.

So what happened to me was about 20 minutes ago i received a phone call from a withheld number. I answered, and could hear people talking, but no one replied when i said hello multiple times. I hung up, and they called back straight away. This time when i answered, a woman on the other end said she was calling from BankWest in relation to a suspicion they have that my card has been compromised. She proceeded to ask me about some recent transactions i had made with my card (Knowing the exact price, time, location, and business the transactions were for, including one i had made about 10 minutes earlier). She then said that while none of my transactions were fraudulent, the bank believed that my card had been compromised and they would be issuing me with a new card. She asked me to provide her with my full name and address as proof of identification, which i gave her, and she then told me to destroy my card and a new one would be issued in 10 days.

So i went and straight away destroyed my card, thinking damn i tried so hard to avoid getting done and ended up getting done anyway. But after a good 5 minutes of thinking about it, i decided the call seemed pretty suspicious, especially considering it was a withheld number and they didn't answer the first time they called. So i phoned my bank to double check. The woman asked me a whole bunch of details to confirm my account, and then said the bank had no record of any calls being made to me, nor any reason to believe my card had been compromised. She proceeded to tell me that the bank would never ask for any of my details unless i had called them. When i asked why they would ask for those details she said because they would already have all my card details from their device on the ATM or EFTPOS device. So in order to gain access to my account, all they would need to do is phone the bank and provide my card number, full name, address and account number. So i got her to cancel my card, and issue a new one for real this time.

So i was very very lucky that i decided to double check with my bank, and i recommend that if anyone receives a phone call like this, provide the caller with false information. If they accept the information then you know that they are frauds. In any case, as soon as you hang up the phone, call your bank to double check that everything is ok

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

Im not sure if im posting this in the right section, i was going to post it in the wasteland but thought it may get more attention here? If any of the mods want to move it then i have no complaints, i just thought i should warn people.

Basically i have just been caught out by the ATM and EFTPOS skimming/PIN capturing that some of you may have heard about. If you are not aware, what happens is electronic devices are fitted to the ATM or EFTPOS device at retail outlets, so that when a customer uses their card, the device records their details. I was aware of these scams going on, and as such had not been using my card for anything other than internet transactions. If i needed money i went into the bank and withdrew it.

So what happened to me was about 20 minutes ago i received a phone call from a withheld number. I answered, and could hear people talking, but no one replied when i said hello multiple times. I hung up, and they called back straight away. This time when i answered, a woman on the other end said she was calling from BankWest in relation to a suspicion they have that my card has been compromised. She proceeded to ask me about some recent transactions i had made with my card (Knowing the exact price, time, location, and business the transactions were for, including one i had made about 10 minutes earlier). She then said that while none of my transactions were fraudulent, the bank believed that my card had been compromised and they would be issuing me with a new card. She asked me to provide her with my full name and address as proof of identification, which i gave her, and she then told me to destroy my card and a new one would be issued in 10 days.

So i went and straight away destroyed my card, thinking damn i tried so hard to avoid getting done and ended up getting done anyway. But after a good 5 minutes of thinking about it, i decided the call seemed pretty suspicious, especially considering it was a withheld number and they didn't answer the first time they called. So i phoned my bank to double check. The woman asked me a whole bunch of details to confirm my account, and then said the bank had no record of any calls being made to me, nor any reason to believe my card had been compromised. She proceeded to tell me that the bank would never ask for any of my details unless i had called them. When i asked why they would ask for those details she said because they would already have all my card details from their device on the ATM or EFTPOS device. So in order to gain access to my account, all they would need to do is phone the bank and provide my card number, full name, address and account number. So i got her to cancel my card, and issue a new one for real this time.

So i was very very lucky that i decided to double check with my bank, and i recommend that if anyone receives a phone call like this, provide the caller with false information. If they accept the information then you know that they are frauds. In any case, as soon as you hang up the phone, call your bank to double check that everything is ok

damn, that was a close call for you.

thz for the info...i think everybody needs to know this.

yeah my card got replaced too because i'd used it in fraudulent locations, i received no phonecalls from any phoney banks though...

my account wasn't compromised they just cancelled and replaced my card cos i'd used it at one fot eh flagged locations. i know i shouldn't disclose this information due to forum rules etc. but this is in public interest

PEAK fuel bayswater.

i received no phonecalls though but good idea to call back and enquire about the card, especially suss that they told you to destroy your card... that's obviously a safety comforter for the victim... you don't NEED the card to use it... they've GOT your details...

but yeah

sucks

cos i was like 4 days with no cash and couldn't get money out

...i had to borrow money off my mummy

oh and in part of reference to what dan said - it could have been a legit call...

the security departments in banks are going through a tough time at the moment cancelling cards and re-issuing new numbers to keep up with the amount of stuff ups they're having to deal with there was a good chance the call WAS legit, and they didn't make note of it

my cards got cancelled with zero warning or phonecall (that must be how westpac works) they sent the cards out immediately then like two days later i got the notice that my card had been comprimised adn that they planned to send out cards in the future

basically the security department would be in damage control and not taking any chances, so... "act now think about paperwork later"

perhaps the bank made no official note of contacting you... you also never mentioned that they didn't actually ask for your bank details - somethign which a bank would not do anyway.

but yes, no doubt your card may have been comprimised but that's not to say your account got "done"

my friend actually had her funding wiped out.

Yeah that's a good lesson - don't give personal details out to people who 'call you'.

My old insurance company call me a couple of weeks ago to ask me why I wasn't renewing my insurance w/ them. I said it was none of their business and then they asked me for my D.O.B, address blah blah to cancel?! my old insurance. Goodbye I said and hung up.

Lot of people got done recently w/ a compromised ETPOS machine at McDonalds. Good thread on Perth Street Bikes about it

...he didn't get "skimmed" his account was used at a risky area, the scam doesn't take money out of everyone's account, it's randomised...

as i said - my cards were comprimised also, that doesn't mean i got robbed - just means my cards were used at risky areas and the bank replaced them as a preventative precaution

ps -HEY MEL!

perhaps the bank made no official note of contacting you... you also never mentioned that they didn't actually ask for your bank details - somethign which a bank would not do anyway.

No way. Why does the bank need you to vouch for your ID when they are just telling you your card is canceled?

What do you mean they got used at risky areas? I thought you were only not safe if there is a skimming device? How'd they get all his details and liek Dan said, how'd they get his phone number?

Dude.... I think it was your mum prank calling you :ninja:

PS - Hai Rowan!! lol

What do you mean they got used at risky areas? I thought you were only not safe if there is a skimming device? How'd they get all his details and liek Dan said, how'd they get his phone number?

Could be any number of ways in this day and age of electronic information, internet etc. Highly possible scammers have someone at lower levels in a bank etc.

ahha your mum got you to cut up your cards LOL

and Tony - ID questions like what exactly???

there's no harm in a bank confirming your name and or date of birth or address, it would be suspect if the bank asked you to disclose your bank details however.

but the OP didn't say they did that. he just said they called to confirm card cancellation :ninja:

also, the scam traces back to eastern europe and stems to what is basically the russian mafia. the chances of them allowing an australian telephonist in on their gig would be dumb on their part...

the way the scam works is... they withdraw a small amount, then another small amount, then take everything they can get in one hit..

as i said, that's what happened to my bestie.. this instance i think is same that happpened to me - card was comprimised and replaced - no big deal - can sleep well tonight =)

No chance lol, the woman calling sounded at least 40. I know what all my mates sound like, not too mention they read out some of my recent transactions? My number is in the phone book, if they skimmed my card details then they would know my full name, not a very common last name, easy to find my number.

It may have been a legit call from the bank, but the fact that it was a withheld number, they didn't answer the phone first time, they asked me for details which the bank said they would never do (Also what Joe said about confirming my identity), and the woman told me my card had been cancelled and then the bank said there had been no record of any phone call, nor had there been any application to cancel my card.

I didn't lose any money, but i am very sure that had i not called the bank then i would have. There are a few known affected areas near me, namely Peak in Mundaring. Thats where i wouldve been affected as i don't eat mcdonalds

Yeh pretty much every mcdonalds in Perth has been affected. And lots of Peak stations. Few other places, but they are the most widely affected, and it started with mcdonalds

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I honestly wouldn’t bother with this. They don’t hold up under any serious strain. Get the Blackline (Chinese fake Quaife) if anything, as it’s reported to perform pretty well. 
    • For future reference, I believe all that Amayama does is act as a middleman between you and Nissan. Go to your local dealership, ask nicely for a parts account (I get 15% off with mine) and you'll get better pricing. Cheers, 
    • Hi guys, I have a 2005 V35 skyline with the vq35de.  It is a drift car and has been stripped, its now running a standalone ECU and a body harness. Dash everything has been changed to a digital dash controlled by ecu.  The vq35de has been great, very reliable but wanting more HP atm the 35de is making 228rwhp. I'd like to be making about 350rwhp. From my research it looks like a vq25det lightly modified could be a good engine to swap in. I understand the CD trans will bolt up right to the vq25det with a 35de sump used.  My only issue is a wiring harness/ecu to control the vq25det, from what i've found the ecu is a lot different to the vq35de so my plugin for the 35de will not work. Is there any potential to use the vq35de wiring harness and modify as necessary to retain the plugin ecu?  Keen to hear what you guys think, or am I best off to chuck on a cheap turbo kit on the 35de and see how long it lasts.   
    • Oh sorry Justin! I was racking my brain trying to remember names, not sure why I associated “Adam” with 7tune! I’m good, been away from Skylines for over a decade, got family and kids now. Just getting back into owning a 32 but it’s a whole different world now… tax is higher and tech is better.
    • Who's Adam? Hehe 😁All good mate, it's Justin. Been good! And you? The HCR32 is looking sweet by the way! Love the very neat Nav install.  I would love to get one but I'm at a crossroads right now and can't commit to another car.