SAU Community

Rb20det Welsh Plugs?

funki_munki

Hey all,

Have a R32 with a coolant issue. Sometimes it wont leak coolant other times it will,cant really see where its coming from as its the back of the engine (suspect welsh plugs). I flushed the whole system and filled with water and stop n seal stuff from super cheap. flushed the whole system again and it didnt leak for about 2weeks, the other day there was a puddle of coolant under my car. So i topped up the radiator and resevoir and it didnt need that much in there. Left some cardboard underneath it last night and nothing leaked which has got me confused.

Has anyone else had this issue? New welsh plugs? Are they hard to replace? (engine out kinda thing or drop out gearbox and tilt engine down to access?) Anywhere i should be taking it in Adelaide to get these done? i dont want to take my car to somewhere they wont look after it.

Thanks

Daniel

i wouldnt of used the stop n seal stuff its more a Temporarily fix but i would check the small coolant lines that run around the back of the motor which are part rubber they run to turbo/heater/inlet manifold (do a few circles). The leaks are hard to chase but its worth concentrating there. Theres also a rubber section under the inlet runners and ive seen a few rb20s with busted ones and the leak tends to flow towards the bellhousing. hope that helps finding the leak. also get ur hands on one of those small dentist mirrors n a torch to get a better angel on things.

well i have removed all the air bubbles from the system and had a decent look under the car and where the leak was coming from. i couldnt get a precise spot from where its leaking but i can see its coming from where the inlet manifold side is. Im going to pull the manifold off to have a look at the line that runs between the runners of the manifold? and check for cracks. Is there anything else i should be looking for if its leaking on that side?

well i dont use my a/c as my blower fan doesnt work for the air con (any1 know how to fix? next on my list of jobs to do) the leak looks like its coming from the inlet side of the engine. I put my hand down underneath the inlet tonite and found one of the hoses that runs towards the back i squished it a bit and it had that brittle feel to it. Going to try to get access to a pit to have a better look from underneath.

Has any1 had these hoses replaced by a shop? How much was it?

Cheers

daniel