SAU Community

Questions About Skylines In Victoria (p Plate Question)

moj0

i think the bottom line here is that a P plate driver legally should not be driving a turbo skyline, let alone a twin turbo. however its up to the driver if he wants to risk it and risk getting caught. keep in mind however, especially for melbourne drviers, that a lot of cops out there are out to do over every skyline they see simply because of the hoon activity and the popularity of the car. dont bother asking the car dealers about the laws cos its not their problem if u get pulled over and fined. up to you in the end whether or not u wanna risk it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now I'm confused with the P plate law.

I thought if you got your P's after July 1st 2007, you can't drive a turbo AT ALL. And the people who got it before that, can drive V8/turbo as long as it's under the power to weight law?

Just because you are on your green P's, it doesn't mean you got your license before July 1st 07? So the no turbo law still applies? Or have they wiped out the turbo law and just made it power to weight only?

you are correct, when in doubt, the arrivealive website has it pretty short and clear. there is a link for pre and post july 2007 from here http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/initiati...strictions.html

Just Cars have a nice little system where you can adjust your excess to be higher, which reduce your annual premium. My full comprehensive premium is less than my 50 year old mother pays for her Soarer and I'm 23 years old (or under 25, which is what matters to an insurance company) with one record of licence suspension, driving a turbocharged coupe. Don't even ask me what my excess costs though...

Highly recommend this as a way to save money if you're confident you won't have a crash...but then, everyone always is ;)

Just Cars have a nice little system where you can adjust your excess to be higher, which reduce your annual premium. My full comprehensive premium is less than my 50 year old mother pays for her Soarer and I'm 23 years old (or under 25, which is what matters to an insurance company) with one record of licence suspension, driving a turbocharged coupe. Don't even ask me what my excess costs though...

Highly recommend this as a way to save money if you're confident you won't have a crash...but then, everyone always is ;)

there is a catch to this tho, i adjusted my premium the other week and found out its not a dollar for dollar exchange when upping ur excess n lowering ur premium. i added $500 to my excess and my premium went down by $200. if i put my excess up by $1000 then i would save probably $500 or so. in the end it aint really all that worth it unless u can pay outta ur ass if u crash

Well of course it's not going to be a dollar for dollar exchange...otherwise you could reduce your premium to $0 which is a bit silly. It's not a catch so to speak, you're just gambling on your ability not to crash. Pays off for some, not for others. The way I had mine worked out...if I didn't crash for 2 years worth of premiums, the money saved on my premiums was the equivalent of the extra money in my excess...so if you can last the 2 years or so without crashing then it is indeed worthwhile.

LOL, I was looking at that as well. Before that system came in, Just Car wanted $3000 for full comp, and now I think if I adjust my excess to max, my premium would be $1400 or so. It's pretty cool if you can stay away from accidents lol.

That's good to hear :)

So when will you be getting your car? By the way, you are aware of P plate + insurance yea? If you've read the link I gave you? :P

I live in Mordialloc, where abouts are you moving to?

Hopefully start looking on friday, i got a small operation just to take out my tonsils since iv had some trouble with them in summer. Got 2 weeks off work so going to do some real searching. Depending on how my saving is going for japan (going in march) hopfully within the next 4 months, if it doesn't go so well, not till after them 4 months.

I'm sure iv read the post your talking about but at this time in the morning i honestly can't remember. Think it was about only about 3 insurance places would actually give me insurance with a car like that plus being on my P plates costing me a chunk more yeah?

Moving to Watsonia, Very close to greensborough

my first car was a s2 r33 in silver i was so lucky to have it, and it was THE BEST CAR/TIME i ever had, im only 22 so havent had many cars, but money for value nothing come close, i had some tein coilovers no strut bars, some fat 16 inch tyres, it handled as good as my r34. If your not a wreckless hoon then go for it go get a non turbo line, no one says power=fun, good handling and aesthitic appeal is great. Learn how to drive then get a fast car. plus when, not if but when, you stuff up, it wont be as expensive!

damn man r u a rating 1? thats a fair amount for both

Oh, they quoted me for rating 4. I've been with Just Car for 2 years now, never made a claim, hopefully I can get a cheaper quote later on when I call up and tell them I've been with them for so long lol.

Oh, they quoted me for rating 4. I've been with Just Car for 2 years now, never made a claim, hopefully I can get a cheaper quote later on when I call up and tell them I've been with them for so long lol.

that sucks man ive made at least 2 claims with them (both not my fault) and im still a rating one. ive only been with them for 2 years as well. i think they have screwed u, have u got a quote from another place like shannons?

Well I bought my r34 GTT while i was on my p's. Been driving it for 6 months. I had Exhaust system, pod. Got my fulls now. (phewww)

I live in the west. drove pass cops everyday. They look at me all the time but i never get followed or pulled over. Just dont be a D@#k i guess.

But if i was u, Il buy myself a ok daily for 2 years and save up for a r34 GTR when u get off your p's. :P

Cheers. Tav

Well just got out of hospital. Tonsils out and im pumped up on heaps of morhpine. On a side note my mums bf got me some car mags to read while i was in there. Found a nice little artical about top 10 P plate cars. Poor mans (Up to 10k) and Rich kid (10k > 20k) The rich kids had, Supra first, Integra, S15, MR2 and then nissan 300zx. Been told by a few people to think about a N/A supra but i still like the skyline a bit more :P

One thing I can't get my head around, Been told by a few people think about a 33 instead of a 32 since there old. True?

Also. Correct me if i'm wrong

GTS RW only.

GTS-T / GTT RW tubro?

GTS-4 AWD non turbo?

GTR AWD turbo.

Then theres also V-spec but im still trying to get my head around that ;) Atleast I got 2 weeks of looking at cars and learning since hospital said take 2 weeks off.

Well just got out of hospital. Tonsils out and im pumped up on heaps of morhpine. On a side note my mums bf got me some car mags to read while i was in there. Found a nice little artical about top 10 P plate cars. Poor mans (Up to 10k) and Rich kid (10k > 20k) The rich kids had, Supra first, Integra, S15, MR2 and then nissan 300zx. Been told by a few people to think about a N/A supra but i still like the skyline a bit more smile.gif

One thing I can't get my head around, Been told by a few people think about a 33 instead of a 32 since there old. True?

Also. Correct me if i'm wrong

GTS RW only.

GTS-T / GTT RW tubro?

GTS-4 AWD non turbo?

GTR AWD turbo.

Then theres also V-spec but im still trying to get my head around that smile.gif Atleast I got 2 weeks of looking at cars and learning since hospital said take 2 weeks off.

Well, to be honest, NA supra > NA skyline, T supra > GTST skyline. Although they are heavier, they can seem to beat a skyline in a straight line, but I'm pretty sure skylines are more fun around corners. I like my R34 coz of the looks, that's why I chose it, with the money I had, I coulda bought a TT supra or R33 GTR. Just depends on what you want, looks, handling, power, budget.

Yes, I'd advice you to look into R33's, over R32's. Because of age, tear and wear. When I say R33, I kinda don't mean series 1. It's hard to find NA R32/R33 s1 in really good nick. Have a look around for series 2 R33's or even R34's. The price different between the 33 and 34 is maybe a couple of thousand, but if you have enough, then R34 would be worth it.

But I wouldn't suggest you to buy an NA now and do an engine conversion later, because it's not worth it. Better off selling the NA and buy a turbo. Unless you seriously can't live without your car lol.

R32,33,34 GTS25 / GT25 = RWD

R32 GTS-4 = AWD turbo

R33,34 GTS4 / GT4 = AWD NA

R32,33,34 GTST / GTT = RWD turbo

R32,33,34 GTR = AWD twin turbo

You pretty much got it right, but just remember that a R32 GTS4 has a turbo in them. Apparently, there are some R33 GTS4 turbos, but it's really rare. Someone on this forum has one.

Yeah I like the look of the skylines better than the supra, I got to drive one once out of town (N/A) and damn, it was fast but im just not a fan of the shape.

I pretty much got it down to to either a (prefer S2) R33/34 GTS or GT4. Don't know if theres a massive difference in the car with AWD if its N/A but i remember driving my best friends subaru AWD and it stuck like anything. Don't plan on doing the engine conversion later. I'll just keep it nice how it is. Do a few mods here and there for some looks and probly just sell it once im on my full licence.

Now the search begins to find the car :D

Yeah I like the look of the skylines better than the supra, I got to drive one once out of town (N/A) and damn, it was fast but im just not a fan of the shape.

I pretty much got it down to to either a (prefer S2) R33/34 GTS or GT4. Don't know if theres a massive difference in the car with AWD if its N/A but i remember driving my best friends subaru AWD and it stuck like anything. Don't plan on doing the engine conversion later. I'll just keep it nice how it is. Do a few mods here and there for some looks and probly just sell it once im on my full licence.

Now the search begins to find the car :wub:

Yeah, GTS4 / GTfour's AWD system is the one you'd find in the GTR, and yes it does have more traction than a RWD, but that depends on how you drive it :laugh: Also, the AWD is a bit heavier than the RWD, due to the AWD system, so their power output is a bit lower than a RWD. But good luck finding them, they are pretty rare :P

But I reckon it would only be worth it to do an engine conversion with a GTS4 / GTfour, just for the AWD, so it will pretty much be driving a single turbo GTR :D

Yeah think i'll just stick to a GTS RWD. What sorta KW am i looking at for a gts 33/34? Even tho I might not be buying it from anywhere from now to the next 4 months, Mind if I see some I like if I shoot a PM with the link to you to have a quick look and tell me if its ok?

Going to start doing the search now, if i find something i really like i might buy it befor my trip to japan.

Yeah think i'll just stick to a GTS RWD. What sorta KW am i looking at for a gts 33/34? Even tho I might not be buying it from anywhere from now to the next 4 months, Mind if I see some I like if I shoot a PM with the link to you to have a quick look and tell me if its ok?

Going to start doing the search now, if i find something i really like i might buy it befor my trip to japan.

Here's some power figures I got from wikipedia.

ER33 GTS25 - 2.5 L RB25DE DOHC I6, 190 PS (140kW, 231 N m)

25GT, GT-X, GT-V - 2.5 L RB25DE NEO I6 200 PS (147kW)

ECR33 GTS25T - 2.5 L RB25DET DOHC turbo I6, 250 PS (184kW, 294 N m)

ECR34 25GT-T - 2.5 L RB25DET NEO turbo I6, 280 hp (206 kW, 343 N m)

I think NA R33,34 has about 100kw at the wheels.

And yes, that's no problem at all, I'll be glad to help you out, as I was in your shoes not long ago, I know how it feels :D

Feel free to PM me whenever you have a question or something.