SAU Community

how did u run your brass buttun clutch in??

WHITE R32

how did u run it in???like how many km did u do b4 thrashing it and also whats the expected life of one of these if its not slipped excessively???? mine is a 5 puck sprung centre brass button exedy extreme clutch.. good for 600hp or so...im wacking it in tomorow.... cheers guys Jon :D

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

start you car depress the accelerator till you start hearing the pop pop pop sound then release you foot off the clutch :D

yes they are very tough no need to run them in .

and yes you can knife them as much as you like .

mine was new b4 the jms drift meet did the meet and poped the motor and they checked the clutch and it was still new. so dont strees :

enjoy

I've put in 3 brass button 5 puck clutches now !!

One in a R32 GTS4. One in a R33 GTS-t, and another in a Celica GT4.

The ones in the R32 and R33 were driven gently for the first 500-700km. No dumping the clutch or riding it badly and they turned out great.

The one in the GT4, the bloke dumped the clutch after about 50km and for ages (8000km) he had clutch shudder pretty bad :D

I'd say just take it easy until it beds in then go for it :D

J

They grab really really hard and are not designed to be slipped... I have one in my GTR, and its like an on/off switch (5 puck brass button Nismo/Exedy unit with some upgraded hardcore pressure plate).

The downside is they can put alot of strain on components like gearboxes, driveshafts and diff's because the can grab quite viciously.

Alot of places are reccomending against brass button now for the above reasons, but some people love them. Im impartial... I dont particularly like mine, and am going to replace it with a twin plate next chance I get and have some money.

To my understanding u can get brass/ceramic button clutches on a solid or sprung centre..... obviously the solid centre is just pretty much on/off and the sprung one has a bit more give but is still pretty hard to slip etc... but the sprung ones can be slipped a bit but its not reccomended....i had a super heavy duty organic clutch in mine that was about 8000km old and it shat on the dyno since i increased the power and even slipped its ass off on low boost (7 psi) thats why i went semi hardcore this time........

We (Gary1 and I) put mine in, let the car warm up and then fanged it. I don't remember how long ago I swapped it (a year, maybe more?) but it's still fine now -it grabs nice and hard, but is still fairly smooth, if you could call a brass button clutch smooth :)

Mine's a 5-puck with a sprung centre and 2750lb pressure plate. I find mine quite easy to drive now that I'm used to it.

DJ984

A brass button clutch is still a conventional clutch in terms of physical design, it just has far less contact area, so if you really[/] want to ride it then you still can. A button clutch can "sort of" be ridden, but the grab point comes in very suddenly and if you try to slip it, it will shudder. Once worn in a button clutch loses some of it harshness though - my clutch has an "in between" area between engaged and disengaged. I don't like to use it unless I have to (wears it out in no time) but it has come in handy for those times when I've had to do a hillstart in front of a Police car in the rain :P