SAU Community

Turbo Upgrade, Do I Have Everything?

DR1FT4

Ok Planning to upgrade from stock snail to a larger shell, just checking i have what i will need to go ahead with it all

baisically i have all the usual mods

pod

FMIC

zaust

HD clutch

SAFC (not in or tuned)

planning to upgrade to a Garrett 3076R

will be getting:

the turbo

exhaust manifold

38mm external gate

new dump and front pipe 3"

injectors ( some info needed what size should i get?)

044 fuel pump (enough?)

tune

coilpacks

Will be getting it tuned at hyperdrive, and depending on the cost possibly installed as i dont have the know how

anyway hoping to push 400 just to make it then probably run 360-380 is that reasonable with these mods? or am i aiming for the stars with a bow and arrow?

any advice is appreciated

if there is anything else i will need please let me know as i dont want to find out i have missed something when i go to get it done

also what boost can i push safely through this turbo and my 25det?

cheers again

Daniel

1) 400 to make it and then 360-380... rwHP yes this is accurate. rwKW your aiming for the stars with a bow and arrow :(

Since you didnt mention forged internals ill assume youre talking stock bottom end and horsepower not kilowatts; correct me if im wrong.

If you are talking horsepower then your setup is similar to my car (at tuners as i type this..)

Disclaimer: anyone please correct me if im wrong, and please get more than just my lowly opinion, but this is my 2c.

==>Stock bottom end and a 3076R, depends on what housing is on the turbo but 18psi is a good safe limit (and should see the numbers you want with boost around 3500rpm..)

==> Injectors youll be looking at Nismo 555s, Sard 550s or the like.

==> Bosch 044 will be more than enough from what ive read. and again correct me if im wrong here readers but 044 are mounted externally and are a decent chunk more expensive than an in tank replacement style pump. I think for 400rwhp a tomei in-tank would probably be enough and cheaper.

I have not looked into highflow turbo's alot but this impressed me, but a local dude down here in Mandurah got his high flowed from Hypertune with the usual supportings mods and similer to what you suggested and have and did 360hp@17pound with a .86 rear worked really great direct fit and cost just over $1,000. It also goes very quick and completed a 12.6@114mph. Compared to my other friends running the 3076 the high flowed was much quicker and came on much earlier, however the 3076 did 330~hp at like 12 psi so had potentially to make great power.

Dyno,

PC140233.jpg

PB020202.jpg

Prior I thought highflows just made a solid 300 with some more torque.

Edited by monga

SAFC is just fuel and not ignition, correct me if I'm wrong. Often these bigger turbo's need timing to bring them on which the SAFC cannot do. Also, cash difference between the two is only $500 these days.

Edited by monga

How far off will the ignition timing be? Nothing he can't adjust himself and fix in a tune...then again if you're going to pay someone else to tune it, you'd might as well let them shaft you another grand or two for a full ECU, so yeah, fair enough :(

I'm don't know alot about the amount of timing that is required for certain load points to bring these turbo's on but it's going to be a reasonable difference from the factory stock turbo, same with the fuel adjustment. It's not possibly to adjust that without purchasing a APFC with the SAFC so unfortunately he will have to upgrade or performance might suffer. In terms of the financials you can sell the SAFC are a reasonable used price ($200+?) spend the extra on the APC, around $2000 now for the RB25DET. Alternatively you use the VIPEC or HALTECH which offer good value products. When it comes to tuning it APFC or other units often are around $500 now, SAFC are around $100 or $200 so it is a small difference in considerion for the cash spend on this upgrade. The term shaft is rather harsh, most of the workshop's in Perth are great and you pay for a premium service that your general mechanic cannot do, also been a business they have overheads so paying alittle extra for parts is often acceptable.

Edited by monga

you wont reach your goal with the standard ecu and a safc. best options would be nistune, vipec, power fc etc.

make sure when you make up your dump pipe you do it properly first time, i'm having to redo myne atm because its too restrictive.

if you want intank then a 023 is the intank equivalent of a 044. 040 doesnt flow as much

safety all depends on the tune, andy at hyperdrive tunes very conservatively, safer than most at the sacrifice of a few hp, if you have a boost controller then just let him set it to whatever ends up being safe, probably around 18psi

as for installing stuff, give it a go yourself, its not as hard as it looks and it saves you a hell of a lot of money. if you get stuck theres always plenty of help on here, just make sure you have another car to drive in the meantime

one other thing, make sure when you do get a turbo you get the right one, especially if its a gt30, lots of mismatched ones out there. theres plenty of info on here about which ones to get and which to stay away from

Stock internals, gearbox and diff are good for 500 rear-wheel horsepower. My brother's R33 GTS-t was making a smidge under 500rwhp.

All it had was GT35R, 800cc injectors, coilpacks, HKS cams & exhaust manifold, ext gate, custom exh system, custom intake manifold, XF falcon throttle body, custom FMIC, Power FC and maybe some other things, i forget, was a few years ago.

That was running 22psi and in 12months of daily thrashing it never ever broke :(

RB25's, RB25 boxes and diff's are bulletproof unlees you want to go mega HP.

Hey mate you also might want to consider a fuel regulator,decent high flow cat,Z32 afm from my experience on or more of these items will be your restrictor factor to your goal.

Cheers.

You need a bigger wastegate - the less boost you run the bigger the wastegate...

you only need coilpacks if ur's r no good... mine are standard...

Have you thought of a forward facing plenum - shorten the pipe run for less lag...

And defiantly a standalone ECU

Edited by axe s

will be getting:

the turbo

exhaust manifold

38mm external gate

new dump and front pipe 3"

injectors ( some info needed what size should i get?)

044 fuel pump (enough?)

tune

coilpacks

You need a custom intake as well as a custom dump pipe (Garrett use different exhaust housing than factory or aftermarket dump pipes, so it wont fit). You didn't list boost controller? Your probably better off buying the kit if your going to give the install a shot yourself.

I would go for 740cc injectors. Dont go high mount man... Go low mount internally gated.

Edited by Dani Boi

How far off will the ignition timing be? Nothing he can't adjust himself and fix in a tune...then again if you're going to pay someone else to tune it, you'd might as well let them shaft you another grand or two for a full ECU, so yeah, fair enough :)

:cheers::santa::) :) :blink: :blink: