SAU Community

Need Help With Tomei Sump Baffle/gated Baffle Installation

dorifticon

Hi all

Am in the process of building my RB30dett, and am assembling full long motor separately and then going to do changeover.

I am currently working on the sump.

After a bit of searching on this site, I settled on the tomei gated sump baffle, which I purchased. Unfortunately the instructions are in japanese.

Most of it I worked out, including opening up the oil drain holes in the sump to 5mm diametre by re-drilling (after removing diff oil seal and dismantling the driveshaft pipe etc)

There are basically two peices in the kit, there is the "box" section with the gates that goes at the bottom, and the flat bit that sits on top.

Now, the box section has notches cut into it where the bottom of the box sits against the floor of the sump (there are gussets or ridges in the floor of the alloy sump and the notches accomodate these). But there is still at least 2-3 mm clearance in many sections between the bottom of the box and the sump floor.

Am I supposed to use some kind of sealant between the box section and the floor of the sump to ensure no oil can get through? There is some diagram in the pic which *could* indicate sealant but it's not hugely helpful.

It seems like the type of thing that would heat up and you'd have strands of sealant floating around in the bottom of the sump, but if the instructions say to do it then I'll do it.

Or do you just bolt it in?

You just bolt it in.

The gaps are for letting the oil level equalise. If you seal it up, you reduce the amount of oil that can get back in when no inertia is involved because the oil can't push through the flaps very easily.

yeah do not seal it up!!

1, you don't want any sealant in your sump. it gets farken hot in there and chances are that shit will eventually get sucked up by the oil pick-up and get caught on it and block it.

2. the gaps are meant to be there, they allow the oil level to quickly equalise, if you seal it all up all you have is the tiny trapdoors to allow oil to flow back and forth around the sump. you don't want that.

yeah do not seal it up!!

1, you don't want any sealant in your sump. it gets farken hot in there and chances are that shit will eventually get sucked up by the oil pick-up and get caught on it and block it.

2. the gaps are meant to be there, they allow the oil level to quickly equalise, if you seal it all up all you have is the tiny trapdoors to allow oil to flow back and forth around the sump. you don't want that.

You need to put quotes around point 2 :D