SAU Community

Problem With Idle

Mevo

Hi,

I just pick up an 1997 R33 GTS25T with around 148 000 km ;). Car is 99.9% stock except a boost gauge and cat back.

The car work great, paint is in verry good condition, no strange noise, no hesitation on WOT, or low RPM.

Before buying the car, idle was a bit strange especially pushing cluth when coming to a stop or reving a bit... then car want to die. ( most of the die will stall )

I just changed ALL FLUIDS and clean IAC and MAF sensor but still having the same issue.

Planning to replace battery, Sparkplugs and check ground.

Anyone had problem like that. Here a video, go to 0:25 to see how weird it is :P (sorry for sound quality, crappy phone + winds )

Hope anyone can save me time and trouble.

Thanks

Edited by Mevo

It's your AAC valve. It's at the back of the head on the driver's side, it'll be full of gunk.

Take it off, clean it with carby cleaner and a wire brush and you'll see a whole crapload of black stuff come out, let it dry, and stick it back on.

You might want to then reset your ECU once this is done, to relearn with the new 'setup'.

There's a link in my signature for exactly how to do all of this.

Just curious if cleaning your AAC helped the idle/stall problem as I am having the exact same problem with my newly purchased stock '97 R33 GTST (stock BOV, catback, pod filter).

Cheers.

Edited by T3zZa

Yeah let me know how it goes. I bought the Nulon Throttle Body & Carby Cleaner and will have a go at taking apart and cleaning the AAC. Will keep ya posted on how it goes.

Merry Xmas btw.

Cheers.

Merry Xmas!!

LoL, I can't sleep after the party we had.... to bad I have no tools at my place, not even a screw driver!!!

Otherwise I will be working right away ( NZ - 3.07 AM lol )

Tomorrow (well today) everything will be close... bouhhhhhh

Hey cuz, looks like my car was a year ago..fixed it by replacing my IAC valve, but yeh check that your AFM is in good condition and that your TPS and CAS are setup right.. lol sorry for the abbreviations..hope it helps

Good luck, Merry Xmas!

p.s Im spending my christmas day fixing my car as well lol

Ok so today I spent my xmax cleaning the car... and also I decided to adjust the screw on my AAC. ( found a screw driver in that damn apt ).

So far idle is good, but didn't had the chance to go for a roll and see if it keep messing the idle.

Merry Xmas

I haven't had the chance to take out the AAC and clean it yet but I have taken apart and cleaned my AFM with the Nulon Carby cleaner, turned the AAC screw counterclockwise 1 turn and reset the ECU. So far it has not stalled yet but the revs still drop (to about 450rpm) when I clutch in. The problem seems to be more prominent when I have my headlights on or when I take a sudden stop.

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't had the chance to take out the AAC and clean it yet but I have taken apart and cleaned my AFM with the Nulon Carby cleaner, turned the AAC screw counterclockwise 1 turn and reset the ECU. So far it has not stalled yet but the revs still drop (to about 450rpm) when I clutch in. The problem seems to be more prominent when I have my headlights on or when I take a sudden stop.

does a r33 series 1 have an ecu when stock? if so how do we reset the ecu? sorry im totally new to the skylines and dont know much bout cars.

yes it has an ecu. to reset it just disconnect the battery and press the brake pedal then connect it back up (pressing the brake pedal, or turning the lights on or anything like that drains any remaining power from the system). the other way is to buy a consult cable and plug it into the consult port and into the laptop and use some consult software and reset it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it has been a while but I thought I would keep this updated. Short story:

After 4 weeks or so after the AFM clean and ECU reset the car drove fine and never stalled but revs still dropped when clutching in/slowing down. Then last week it came back with a vengeance when my whole 15mins trip to Osborne park stalled at every stop (super embarrassing).

So I decided to get my hands dirty and clean the AAC - with about an hour's worth of elbow grease - and it has worked a charm. The AAC was absolutely clogged up with black sh*t and with plenty of carby cleaner and cotton buds it is shining as new now. I can vow that the car runs A LOT better than when I first picked up the car. I think the AAC clean is a must do and will only do you good and no harm.

Just two cents from my experience I had a lot of trouble pulling the hoses off from the AAC so I just unscrewed the unit out with my ratchet, left it in there and cleaned it while it was attached. Bit of an awkward position leaning over and in the engine bay but do-able still. Anyone with any hints on how to yank those hoses on the side and bottom off would be appreciated.

Well as for me, I still have issue especially with AC on. I Cleaned the AAC 3 times already, tried to adjust ect...

Without AC car is much much better, but still sometimes stall.

What I have notice, there is a lot of oil in my intercooling piping, I cleaned the whole system and 300km, lot of oil again clog inside...

Oil catch can will be needed probably?