SAU Community

Heading Down To Portland.

iseekool

Hi all,

I live in Melbourne and I'm going for a drive to Portland (near the SA/Vic Border).

Reason for going is that a friend of mine is planning to move there for work reasons and she wants to check out the place.

So I have a few questions - Hope you guys can help out :D

- Which is the best route to take between Geelong and Warrnambool section -- Via Lismore or Colac.

- Any good places to eat whilst there? Just spending 1 night.

- Is there much to do or see while we are there?

- Is there much to do once you start iving there, other than work....?

- When my friend moves there, are there any bus or train links to Melbourne? (I cannot seem to find any). She isn't a keen long distance driver - not a fan. (She also drives a Mirage 1.5L Manual - probably not the best car for too many Portland to Melbourne runs.....).

She would "prefer" to catch public transport to Melbourne for visits.

- When my friend moves there, are there any bus or train links to Melbourne? (I cannot seem to find any). She isn't a keen long distance driver - not a fan. (She also drives a Mirage 1.5L Manual - probably not the best car for too many Portland to Melbourne runs.....).

She would "prefer" to catch public transport to Melbourne for visits.

VLine to Warrnambool, then I am guessing there would be a connecting bus to Portland.

Geelong -> Lismore = easier drive, less traffic

Geelong -> Colac = still an easy drive, a truck route, also a favourite of caravan owners heading to Warnambool. The prettier route.

You'd be better (faster) approaching Portland from the Ballarat -> Hamilton way, if you're coming from melb, more double lane highway... but the drive from Warnambool to Port Fairy and beyond can be pretty fun. some nice stretches.

I work in Portland now and then. It's not the best place. Warnambool is way better for night life. What work is she going there for?

For accomodation try the Admella budget hotel. It's cheap and simple. Easy walk to everywhere in town.

I used to always go the ballarat-lismore way but now with the new geelong ring road it may be better to go via colac. Less traffice the ballarat way...

Actually just looked at the map I would go geelong ring road and then hamilton highway via lismore. Way better than colac way.

Roads down that way are all crap. Bumpy and if it rains there are massive puddles in the wheel wells for aquaplaning. :P

sections are good, sections are bad, mostly ok. Its a B road, so dont expect anything like what you're used to in Melbourne - they arent real roads. If the shoulder looks like its getting bad stick in the middle, you'll be able to see if someones coming miles away. Also your car is white it wont show a few scratches :P

Actually just looked at the map I would go geelong ring road and then hamilton highway via lismore. Way better than colac way.

Roads down that way are all crap. Bumpy and if it rains there are massive puddles in the wheel wells for aquaplaning. :banana:

Seems the best way IMO, I don't know why people would go as far out of the way as Ballarat. I do a bit of driving to Geelong and sometimes on to Colac, but never past that. Colac is 45mins-1hr past Geelong, depending on the run you get and which way you go. If that helps the planning.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I just came back from there - spent 1 night.

Ended going via the Colac route, and the Geelong Ring Road.

Not a bad drive - some dodgy road edges - had to drive towards the middle a few times.

She is heading there for nursing work, something to do with her finishing uni. and she has to go there.

Skyline looks kinda funny - bugs across the front bar - if you squint it looks like the car has grown some "stubble".