SAU Community

What Sort Of Setup Suits Me If I Want Comfy And Lowered?

5ky

Hey guys, i want to lower my car, so the gap between the tyres and guard dissapears,.... basically i also want ride comfort, and I have heard instead of getting coilovers, the matching springs and shocks would be my best option. What would be the best bang for buck setup? Im not rich, so something cheap would be nice, and i also have ride in a car with stock shocks and lowered springs, and i do not want that ttype of setup, as its very bouncy...

any idea guys

Cheers,

ive got hsd tt's pretty cheap but cant complain in my r33 its lower then your wanting im about 70mm off the ground to give you an idea and i find it quite comfortable, more so then the tein shock/spring combo i had and previous coilovers.

if you want bang for buck the hsd or bc are your best options.

Can you give us a $ value for coil/shock to work with? Have you done any other suspension work? Does the budget allow for camber correction? You might want to add poly castor bushes for the extra castor and the new stiffer bush, and some stiffer swaybars(combat body roll, which when using a low spring rate is important IMO).

U spend all the money on a great car like an r34 GTT now u don't wanna spend 2.5k on quality parts?

Just get a Commodore man. I just don't understand why ppl with nice cars nearly all just rice em out with cheap tacky crap.

If u do wanna do it right, Mono flex with 5.5kg/mm front and 5kg/mm rear would be ideal.

ive got hsd tt's pretty cheap but cant complain in my r33 its lower then your wanting im about 70mm off the ground to give you an idea and i find it quite comfortable, more so then the tein shock/spring combo i had and previous coilovers.

if you want bang for buck the hsd or bc are your best options.

i got hsd too and they are perfect for what i use the car for. they handle good and are quite comfy :D

Soft and low = chopped springs. Costs at much as an angle grinder disc :D

Nah. I reckon just get some custom king springs. They cost like 300$ a pair. And you can customize the spring rate and height to suit you.

or brown springs in thomastown vic will do custom for 260 a SET, 130pr.

2.5k is bilstein/eibach coilover territory...

When I was looking at replacing my setup with shocks/springs, I enquired at a few places. The Bilsteins were about $1200 I think from somewhere in NSW. Koni's were about $1400. But you can get some cheaper Coilovers for about that price.

If your not in a hurry look around for people selling their old parts. I ended up buying some APEXI shocks from a guy on here and TEIN springs which were $300. The TEIN springs lowered it about 20ish mm. Would of liked it about 30mm (thats what their quoted as) but still there is only a small gap between tyre and guard now. The shocks and springs seem to match quite well as the ride is very good and the handling is fantastic.

You don't always need to spend big money on quality parts, if your not in a hurry then just wait and search around. You might get lucky like I did, one mans trash is another mans treasure :/

Maybe a set of Aus spec Tein Super streets might be suitable? Not going to be super soft but they don't have crazy spring rates either. And you will get the height problem solved without being bone jarring. Not super expensive (not budget rubbish though either).

Luke

The TEIN springs lowered it about 20ish mm. Would of liked it about 30mm (thats what their quoted as) but still there is only a small gap between tyre and guard now.

Stock springs were prob sagged.

Just get a Commodore man. I just don't understand why ppl with nice cars nearly all just rice em out with cheap tacky crap.

yep, half the reason i read these forums is to rag on the 'has to be cheap' crew

you can't have your cake and eat it, these HSD coilovers and what not people are talking about are shit and will not give you any ride comfort. why you're so worried about ride comfort in a sports car i don't understand. but steer clear of those cheap chinese/korean copies.

Edited by mystery_kid

yep, half the reason i read these forums is to rag on the 'has to be cheap' crew

you can't have your cake and eat it, these HSD coilovers and what not people are talking about are shit and will not give you any ride comfort. why you're so worried about ride comfort in a sports car i don't understand. but steer clear of those cheap chinese/korean copies.

Not everyone has a budget for $2000 + coilovers. Not to mention if they are only looking cruising/street use and not circuit use they are wasting money getting "racey" suspension when just a simple spring and shock combo will suit the cars actual purpose better. Theres nothing wrong with being cheap when the result will be more suitable for the task at hand.

If your ragging on the "has to be cheap" crew that are SO cheap they cut springs to lower the car as well as all the other very nasty "cheap mods" that are just purely unsafe as a result. Different story, because they bring us all down.

If you get a set of lowered springs. Make sure you get matching shockers to suit. Cost a fraction more. But will be much nicer.

This will still be much cheaper then a full set of coil overs and give a nicer ride.

Not everyone has a budget for $2000 + coilovers. Not to mention if they are only looking cruising/street use and not circuit use they are wasting money getting "racey" suspension when just a simple spring and shock combo will suit the cars actual purpose better. Theres nothing wrong with being cheap when the result will be more suitable for the task at hand.

If your ragging on the "has to be cheap" crew that are SO cheap they cut springs to lower the car as well as all the other very nasty "cheap mods" that are just purely unsafe as a result. Different story, because they bring us all down.

If you get a set of lowered springs. Make sure you get matching shockers to suit. Cost a fraction more. But will be much nicer.

This will still be much cheaper then a full set of coil overs and give a nicer ride.

Bilsteins, 1100 or so, Tein S Tech ~300

That will give ride quality. Completely slamming a car won't give factory ride quality without spending a bit more money. You can have stiff and well controlled ride, but it isn't always cheap.

Why do you want to go what is possibly illegally low, on crap quality gear? Stock shocks and lowered springs was either badly matched rates or blown stock shocks at a guess.

In this example, the person asking the question wants the car lower than a normal spring/shock combo will allow without hitting bump stops.

In this example, the person asking the question wants the car lower than a normal spring/shock combo will allow without hitting bump stops.

He also wants comfort.

Cheap, Low, Comfy. Dunno what Type Flex are worth, but some in ~6/5 same as my 32 would fit the bill(yet i run mine high)

have been in skyline with hsd coilovers installed???

so now the cheap ass crew is pple who buy hsd and chinese /korean copies?? then you talking about half of these forums

everyone has different opinions and liking when it comes to ride comfort , imo my hsd do the job i wanted my suspension to do and are perfect ride not too bouncy, not harsh and they have been fine for 1 yr now.

that is the reason i have suggested hsd is because of experience i had with them.

like ryan rb said theres other options other than coil overs.