SAU Community

What Is The Best Course Of Action?

Ding

Alright, here's the situation, I'm a green P plater with roughly a year and a half left of provisional license.

Skylines, and the Silvia S15 have kinda been an obsession for years. What can I say, I love them.

I'm not in it cause I want to put some airbrushed graphic of a naked chick with snakes on the bonnet, or put a basketball cannon muffler on it and massive subwoofers in it, I love them because they're tight as a virgin around the twisties and have the raw power to match.

Godzilla.

So naturally, I'd be looking at getting an N/A Skyline for my P's.

Problem is though, there aren't any that match my criteria.

R34 GT-T Non-turbo

Four door sedan

Reasonable price

Anywhere in the state of NSW

If you're wondering, the four-door is so my grandparents can get in. Also I have paranoid visions of a flaming wreck, and mates stuck in the back.

What should I do?

Should I just wait the year and a half out and get a turbo?

Should I buy a shitbox for the time being?

Should I keep looking, or just settle for the coupe?

Lol, should I fly to VIC or QLD and get one there?

What do you think?

Frustrated,

Ding

are your grandparents gonna be alright with getting in and out of a low car?

if you want turbo, get a decent runabout NOW, that your old people are comfy in. then sell it once you're off your p's, get your finances in order, then buy yourself a manual turbo r34 sedan - which is exactly what you want. don't settle for anything less.

are your grandparents gonna be alright with getting in and out of a low car?

if you want turbo, get a decent runabout NOW, that your old people are comfy in. then sell it once you're off your p's, get your finances in order, then buy yourself a manual turbo r34 sedan - which is exactly what you want. don't settle for anything less.

The tiptronic really that bad huh?

And yeah my grandparents can get into Skylines, they get into my cousins 4door r33 gts-t all the time lol.

Back to transmission, I'll be doing mostly city driving (Sydney suburban) so manual would be a pain in the arse.

Is auto and tiptronic really that bad?

mate if u want a skyline that meets those criteria then DONT get one till u find the one that does... its like finding a gf, dont just settle 4 any 1, u dun wanna find one that only has 2 doors if u want 4 :banana: hahahaha or is automatic when u want stick shift :iluvff: ...

but seriously id hold off, have a solid look around... the 34 4 doors are cheap as chips in sydney, especially the 4 doors n there is plenty around just need 2 look man

tiptronic isnt that bad at all! but compared 2 manual id go manual lol... an auto skyline will be alot cheaper 4 u 2 buy as well compared 2 a manual one

oh n dun worry bout a flaming wreck, its gunna be ur baby n ur not gunna thrash the shit outta it n loose control n kill urself n other pple :P

Buy a standard car for the remainder of your P's and continue to save up some cash for a nice clean turbo when you're off your P plates. The amount of attention you will get from driving a skyline with P's from cops is just not worth it in the end really. I've got a N/A 34 had it since I got my P plates and now I'm wishing I just bought a normal car for my P's.

P plate on an import or anything that isn't stock standard is just a target for cops.

As for manual being a pain in the ass I'd have to disagree. You obviously don't drive a manual car. It becomes second nature, highway or city, doesn't matter.

If you want something cheap for your P's dont bother with a NA skyline they are slow and not the greatest 4 door cars. If the the grandparents and mates are an issue just by VS-VT commodore or EF-EL falcon yeah they dont look the part but they are cheap blow up a gearbox its only like $500 for a new one, at least you got something cheap and reliable till your off your P's. Power figures for NA Skyline

, 95kw is a bit of a joke even my old VP Wagon has 127kw when it came out of the factory.

@ Jack: I've owned and driven my Skyline on P's for over 2 years and NEVER had any hassle from the cops.

@ FrangaR33: Commodores also weigh like 300kg+ more and handle like a boat.

I had my stock RB25DE (in an R32) dyno'd and it made 115rwkw.

I say, if you want a Skyline get one. Don't get a shitter, get something you'll appreciate.

4 doors are great! But in my opinion get the manual, it's just that much funner.

Edited by -Jimmy-

Id be getting a 4 door anyday over a 2 doors. They are SOOOOO HOT!

You also have the options of an NA S14 and S15.

In all honesty, I love my 25DE, it sees regular track use, loves to rev and has NEVER skipped a beat. If it were in a lighter chassis, like a a stripped S13, would be a awesome car.

NA's are great to drive, who ever says NA's are total rubbish have never driven an NA properly. You can ring the bloody thing from gear to gear and its not going to rip your head off. AND THE SOUND OF A MODDED NA ON CAMS! OHHHHHHH!!!

Through the twisties, where the straights are short, a well sorted out NA can keep up to a turbo car (as long as you can steer the thing properly too)

BUT!.. and this is a very big but. There will come a time, where (if you even still have the car by this point) your going to want to more power. If your driving through the twisties, track work, drift, hillclimb etc. etc. (this is assuming you want a skyline as a performance car, not for the badge) you will want more power. And the issue is, that its very expensive and difficult to extract what little power your NA RB could have. Soooo, your left down the Tom, Dick & Harry path of going turbo. Cop out. But its the only reasonable path to extract power out of an RB. Issue with turbo is, you need to spend the money on: front cut/engine package/DE+T. Can you do this work yourself? If not its most likely going to go to a workshop, double your budget as well as take the risk for any dodgey work that could take place.

On the other hand. Your still a young driver. Your going to screw up, this isnt bad, we all do it, and we are better for it. Your going to have a couple of love taps, perhaps put the car into a cliff (seeing as you like twisties so much.. dont worry.. many of us have done that too..), put a couple of scratches in it etc. etc. Soon, its going to loose its smoothness.

Get yourself an old rolla. Something thats already shagged, trash the shit out of it, learn how to drive, put the scratches, dings and dents in that thing and hope you can sell it for something in the end. You wont bad when you scratched it cos you miss judged how close the pole is, unlike your 34, which you'll be devistated, and its going to bother you everytime you see it, unlike your shitter of your rolla.

In that year and a half off, save for a decent turbo car + mods. The sacrifices have pay offs.

Thats my 2 cents,

But what do I know? Im 21 and got my 32 3 years ago on my green P's

Edited by GTS4WD

Alright.

The tribe has spoken, and their words ring with truth.

I'm gonna get something else for now and then get that R34 GTT 4 door /cream.

Thanks guys.

lol, I'm looking at a Cressida, don't wanna spend much.

NA R34 Skylines are slower than erosion. It's true that you don't need lots of power to go fast, but that rule usually applies to cars with taut suspension and a lack of mass...two qualities not really associated with Skylines either.

If you're coupling it with a slushbox, I hope that everywhere you're driving to is downhill from where you started.

NA R34 Skylines are slower than erosion. It's true that you don't need lots of power to go fast, but that rule usually applies to cars with taut suspension and a lack of mass...two qualities not really associated with Skylines either.

If you're coupling it with a slushbox, I hope that everywhere you're driving to is downhill from where you started.

Well, let's say the cars I've driven regularly are the Magna 3.5l, the Subaru Outback 2.5l and a Honda Accord 2.0l

Surely, the NA R34 would be tighter than these and well you know, better.

Just came home from hols.

Got your PM Matt about my comment on someone else's thread Re: good time to buy during Dec/Jan and not a good time to sell in Dec/Jan.

1) Dealers find it slow in Dec/Jan 'cause many people are away + budget is tight after chrissy + post chrissy sales eats into budget + post chrissy sales eats into time + ppl have to shop for text books, shoes, uniforms yadda yadda

2) Private sellers are more desperate to sell 'cause their 1999 car is now a year older since 3 days ago = mental urgency really; more than anything else.

Just Jap have had 4dr R34s F/S recently. Checked them?

If anything comes up there, ask for wty like what Nagoya Motors offers + Ask for a major service to be done before you hand over $$

One last thing. After you get your Ps, you'll want to switch to a GT-R rather than put propellors/susp'n/stoppers on this one > Called Overcapitilisation!!!

Well, let's say the cars I've driven regularly are the Magna 3.5l, the Subaru Outback 2.5l and a Honda Accord 2.0l

Surely, the NA R34 would be tighter than these and well you know, better.

"Better" doesn't actually mean "good" though. It just means "not as bad".

Suspension-wise it is theoretically better (an Outback is a soft roader so its not even fair to compare) since all those cars are flubbery, but a 3.5L Magna is going to be quicker in a straight line.

If you want a good car, I'd suggest that you buy some runabout now and learn to drive properly before putting your money down on a performance car that actually has performance.

Just came home from hols.

Got your PM Matt about my comment on someone else's thread Re: good time to buy during Dec/Jan and not a good time to sell in Dec/Jan.

1) Dealers find it slow in Dec/Jan 'cause many people are away + budget is tight after chrissy + post chrissy sales eats into budget + post chrissy sales eats into time + ppl have to shop for text books, shoes, uniforms yadda yadda

2) Private sellers are more desperate to sell 'cause their 1999 car is now a year older since 3 days ago = mental urgency really; more than anything else.

Just Jap have had 4dr R34s F/S recently. Checked them?

If anything comes up there, ask for wty like what Nagoya Motors offers + Ask for a major service to be done before you hand over $

One last thing. After you get your Ps, you'll want to switch to a GT-R rather than put propellors/susp'n/stoppers on this one > Called Overcapitilisation!!!

What do you mean by overcapitilisation?

Also I can't swap to a GTR cause it's a coupe.

When I hit 25 I want to make the 4 door a GTR in all but chassis :bunny:

Sorry, I meant "...when you get OFF your Ps..."

'Overcapitilisation' is when you spend too much on something that you'll never get your money back on (even if it's an improvement).

It's similar to the term 'Pyrrhic Victory' but not quite that bad.

Sorry, I meant "...when you get OFF your Ps..."

'Overcapitilisation' is when you spend too much on something that you'll never get your money back on (even if it's an improvement).

It's similar to the term 'Pyrrhic Victory' but not quite that bad.

Ah yes, I understand.

I don't plan to sink alot of money into an R34 N/A, just the very basic like air intake and exhaust system, if that.

The plan is to keep the 4 door until I'm 25 as N/A then doing a complete GTR rebuild, so I can have an R34 GTR 4 door.

Provided I have the money and the stupidity to do it when I get to that age.

Also I can't swap to a GTR cause it's a coupe.

Autech did make some R33 sedans with full GT-R running gear. It's not just the GTS4 with an engine swap - it actually runs the GT-R's ATTESSA with an RB26DETT.

They are rarer than hen's teeth, and it took a OEM-supported "aftermarket" tuner to actually do it. It's not impossible to do privately, but it will be a big job.

Or you could get a Stagea 260RS if you wanted something that goes like a GT-R, but will easily be mistaken for a Volvo.

I know you're a Skyline fan, but if I were you I'd look at finding a car that came AWD turbo 4 door from the factory. It'd be far more reliable, and much cheaper to get. Aside from the cop magnet Evos and WRXs, those 2 manufacturers' prior rally homologation specials are pretty nice cars too.

A Subaru Liberty RS Turbo is pretty old but not a bad car, and the newer Liberty GTs are beautiful machines when you want to upgrade later. I've got a soft spot for stanced Forester GTs at the moment as well.

I've seen Mitsubishi Galant VR4s for not a great deal, and with a 2.5L V6 and twin turbos it should have a wider torque band than the 2.0L boxer 4, single turbo, Subarus.

Scathing, you mention that AWD turbo out of the factory would be more reliable.

From what I've heard RWD is generally more reliable than AWD, or rather less expensive to fix.

Is the Skyline an exception?