SAU Community

Is This Block Still Good?

Need a little help here. Spun bearings on my RB26 motor and now gathering parts for the rebuild. Problem is this............my builder looked at the block and noticed there was crank walk with some damage on the edges of the block where the main bearings would sit. the thing is when we put the new main bearings in the block, the damaged edges do not affect the area where the new main bearings will sit, my question is this............should I discard the block or can it still work? I've tried taking some pictures to show the damage. Thanks guys.

Picture taken from rear of the block.

post-26402-1263097203_thumb.jpg

post-26402-1263097412_thumb.jpg

post-26402-1263097562_thumb.jpg

Center

post-26402-1263097739_thumb.jpg

post-26402-1263097870_thumb.jpg

post-26402-1263098021_thumb.jpg

post-26402-1263098126_thumb.jpg

I hope these pictures help, thanks again guys.

i would line bore it to make sure it is still true.

Ditto.

If you just buzz the burr off the edge and run a tunnel hone through it you shouldn't have any issues with pump alignment or tunnel size. The tunnels do pinch up across the parting face when they get heat into them. Doing a thrust bearing like that can cause a fair bit of heat so it's worth checking out.

Ye i guess, it is putting pressure on the crank but i takes one hell of a pressure plate to be the single reason there's crankwalk, im guessing the engine has taken a beating and all combined with bad bearings the pressure plate has helped to cause this but not a pressure plate alone :rolleyes:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I did say "2x Magnaflows" then referred to a Varex. So to un-confuse that, my rear muffler is hot-swappable with a Varex. When I had a RB Turbo, I had the 2x Magnaflows, then went LS and though "Oh that's way too loud" and ordered a Varex. A mid muffler will definitely help a lot, even if straight through. SP Mufflers can make anything as big or as small as possible, which will help even more. Looking at my own exhaust I could make the muffler twice as long if I wanted to. Or you could go crazy and get 2x mufflers from SP and full every remaining space with muffling. In my experience closing the Varex makes the car run VERY rich (obviously). I'd say adding a muffler *will* affect things, on a technical, physics level, but I don't think you'd need a retune as the actual effect would be the car running a *tiny* bit richer due to more restriction, on a strictly physics level, but you kind of don't have any option if you want the car to make less sound.
    • I must have read 100 DIY's and watched 200 DIY Youtube videos with most people saying just grab a new cover and, well, despite my normal aproach to these things (replace it all!!) I didn't get a cover. I don't know why I didn't, I'd already ordered a bunch of bits from FCP and it would have made perfect sense to put that in the order.  Anyway, I'm not getting OEM as its just crazy money, even from the states its 900 ish delivered. So, I got an OE Elring one, same as they sell at FCP but local so I can get this fixed this week. Our X5 is waiting for a new diff so we find ourselves in a common scenario of having 2 broken BMW's on the driveway! 🤣
    • Big thing is available inputs for sensors and not having to run multiple expander boxes and software packages for different things why motec is up there. The link ecu and an aim pdm32 was a combination I looked at early on so get ecu, dash and pdm in one go. Aim logging software is pretty good and has all the tracks I will ever drive. Having logging setup with tracks already available is a big thing for myself so can click drop down and go. Thing that I keep seeing is the support what's needed and having a package that people in the know are familiar with as learning a new platform is time consuming.    Got a few boxes that arrived with bits while I was away so hopefully will fit a few sensors and make a start on the dump pipe today. Going to be interesting fitting a 3.5 inch exhaust on this and keeping it above the chassis rails. 
    • Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full
    • Chasing a R32 GTR dash pad, must be in good condition, no broken tabs, no holes and preferably no bubbles.   Thanks