SAU Community

I Think My Mechanic Missed Something

SLEEPR85

Ok guys just wanted a quick discussion about what's going on with my car. A couple of weeks ago went to start my car to go to work and it kind on hesitated then turned over and started. Thought it was weird cos i hadn't had any troubles with it starting at all. Drove to work, then at lunch trying again and nothing. Ticked a couple of times (you know that electrical tick that you get when the battery is flat), so i assumed it was the alternator that was busted and drained the battery. Had it towed to auto-elec and he said it was starter motor that was burnt out and he replaced it. Drove fine after that.

Now what took me as strange was the starter was only a year old having replaced it then, but the dash lights, radio and power windows were all working, so i assumed he was right.

So got in the car this morning and the exact same thing happened. Makes a ticking sound but doesn't even try to turn over. Now before i ring my auto-electician and give him a piece of my mind i just want to see what you guys suggest it is.... could it be a coincidence that something else has gone or has he screwed me!!! :(

could be just unfortunate.

check the resistance between in the main power cable between the battery and starter motor... quite often it can burn out a little if the resistence is high in your starter motor.

check the terminals on the starter ar clean and tight.

check your battery voltage on cranking.. the average battery life for a new battery thats never been flat is 4 years.. it may have a surface charge, but on load it has nothing... under 9 volts and it wont do anything.

to check if your alternator is buggered, just check the charge rate with the car running, mulitmeter across the battery terminals, should be 13.9 to 14.2 volts if its charging ok.. if thats the case, your alternator is fine.

the clicking happens when there is just enough power in the battery to get the starter to kick, just no enough to wind it, hence why the lights and stuff stay on..

if he fixed the starter a year ago, then it shouldnt be done yet... not if he replaced the contacts (which is what causes the starter to click aswell, as not enough power can make it through the bad contacts to wind it over)

auto electricians are notorious for screwing people though... as its a difficult thing to asses and how many people check their starter motor or alternator after it being "repaired"... most times its pulled down, put back together, bench tested, and sprayed black.

Ok thanks for the reply mate, will get under there tonight and have a look cos i'm sure not taking it into him again.

But i must admit, i didn't ask to see the old one. Its something that i usually do with my mechanic and he will willingly show me everything he's changed (my mechanic changed it the first time), but this was an actual auto-electrician who did it this time.