SAU Community

More Pics from SAU Christmas Beachside Cruise/BBQ - 21/12/03

NS2500

Hey all,

You may have seen me walking around with a large camera - unfortunately my lack of experience with it and the conditions ruined a lot of my shots. :D I did manage to salvage some however...

Sorry about the bias to one car in particular, but can you blame me?

-Greg

looked like a digital EOS or a Fuji Digital SLR

I used a Nikon F5 35mm SLR with a Nikkor 24-120 f/3.5 Lens. All shots were spot metered (accidentally!) and captured on Kodak E100VS slide film.

Slides were scanned in to Photoshop for minor cleaning/optimisation on an Epson Perfection 3200 scanner.

top 1 mate..... I've always loved 35mm SLR cameras... that spot metering helps to bring out the contrasts in the picture... sometimes could be better than using matrix metering which just "averages" everything in the viewfinder... in this example, you've done it well...

Matrix metering is good if you need to get the shot - ie. little preparation time. But you can't beat spot metering for perfect exposures. The shots I've posted are the ones that worked (by pure luck because I thought I was matrix metering) - the one's that didn't were horribly bad.

I would have though the IXUS would already have spot metering - my A40 does. You have to be careful with spot metering though because you need to have a good understanding of light and what neutral grey is - or have a grey card with you.

Greg, What about white balance, what setting did u use? I used cloudy on my Coolpix 5700 and it gave a little bit warmer tone, instead of that bluish/grey tint you had in your pics... (or did you do some colour correction?)

Nice photos Greg, the only thing i don't like is none of them were of my car!!! :goddam: Was a good turnout, hope to see more skylines next cruise :( And a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO SAU :Party: :boobies2: :rave: :alcoholic :spew:

Greg, What about white balance, what setting did u use? I used cloudy on my Coolpix 5700 and it gave a little bit warmer tone, instead of that bluish/grey tint you had in your pics... (or did you do some colour correction?)

It's a film camera - there are no white balance / colour settings as such. The particular "look" of the pictures are due to film I was using me trying to bring up the bad exposures to something more useable.

Nice photos Greg, the only thing i don't like is none of them were of my car!!! :goddam: Was a good turnout, hope to see more skylines next cruise :P And a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO SAU :Party:  :boobies2:  :rave:  :alcoholic  :spew:

I took photos of every car, but due to circumstances noted not all of them worked - I'd love to get out there and do a few more shots next cruise.