SAU Community

First message from a nooB

heya all,

this is my first post on the forum and I gotsa question. I'm thinking of treating myself to another car soon, after more than a year of pleasure with my celica I need something that'll take commodores on the straights as well as the curves (yes I should know better than to take on even a measly commodore in a 14 year old celica...)

I've narrowed it down to a 200SX or a R33 GTS N/A (best to get a handle for the basics first then work upto a turbo)

any suggestions on both with regards to price, insurance, performance and general drivability wise? I'm not looking to mod, but I do want a quick car for my money

thanks in advance,

happy driving

You do realise that 200SXs (s14 and s15s) are all turbo in Australia right?

If you wanted a quick car, stay away from the R33 GTS, and go for the 200SX.

Yeah, I know they're turbo, but I wasn't expecting a big performance diff between the 200SX with the small turbo and the 2.5 GTS (or am I mistaken? pardon the ignorance)

I assume the R33 is slightly cheaper both in terms of insurance and price?

Yeah, I know they're turbo, but I wasn't expecting a big performance diff between the 200SX with the small turbo and the 2.5 GTS (or am I mistaken? pardon the ignorance)

I assume the R33 is slightly cheaper both in terms of insurance and price?

the 200SX turbo isn't that small... It's a T28 sized item, and even a smaller turbo adds a tremendous amount of power and torque...

The 200SX is also a much lighter car than the R33 Skyline too.

If those are the two cars you've decided you're looking at, I can tell you this:

The 200SX beats the R33 GTS in EVERY aspect. Handling, power, braking, driveability. Also, being a locally sold car, the 200SX's insurance doesn't fall under the "grey import" category that insurance companies hate, so the difference between that and the R33 GTS shouldn't be that much.

insurance for 4 door = not sure, call up aami etc..

insurance got gtst = 3k probably, general figure

i dont think its that much less if its a GTS

the main figure of the insurance component is cos its an import. 80% cos its an import, %20 cos its a turbo.

I've always found when getting insurance quotes for turbo vs non turbo and its an import is jack all difference

• 4 weeks later...