SAU Community

Help! Exposing The Foreground/ Darkening The Background

I GOT RICE

Im a begginer DSLR user, just wondering if anyone owns a 400d (im sure most canon's have similar controls either way) and im using a 17-85mm lens whilst taking shots here in europe. anyhoo trying to take shots of some architecture whilst the sun is directly in the background which unfortunately is dominating the photo and washing out my subject. I've tried centre weighted metering but it doesn't seem to do that much. Is there some other variable i can change within the camera body that can bring out the buildings and darken the exposure the sun is giving? or will i have to just get a filter? only got a couple more weeks holidays and dont want to ruin anymore potential good shots

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought of doing a HDR (High Dynamic Range) image? As stated before you take 3 exposures or more of the same image (use a tripod!). One image suitable exposed and then another 2 images one under exposed and one over exposed (probably about -2 and +2). Two of the best ways is to use either AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) or to set the apature (and leave it the same for all the images) and select different shutter speeds. Also good to use a 2 sec timer for the shutter release so you don't shake the camera when you press the button. Then, post process the images in Photoshop. It overlays the 3 or more images and you adjust the settings the way you want.

For photoshop CS2 go to File -> Automate -> Merge to HDR. Select the 3 photos that you have taken, it will automatically over lay the 3+ images and give you a slider bar to correct the overall exposure level to the way that suits you most. Just remember to use a tripod as any movements from the original will give a blurred effect. Best to do it with stationary objects. You can do it with one photo taken with RAW and then post process the exposure levels and save them (1 under exposed, 1 over exposed and one suitably exposed). I believe this should work for the photo / look that you want to achieve.

There are heaps of tutorials on YouTube showing you how to do them through Photoshop and Photomatrix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

I have attached 2 photos of a normal shot which is probably similar what your getting and then the same shot with HDR technique. There is also another photo of the 3 images and then the 4th is a HDR of the 3 differently exposed images.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

post-33011-1265288625_thumb.jpg

post-33011-1265288637_thumb.jpg

post-33011-1265288664_thumb.jpg

doesn't that only work on horizontal layouts of light though? ie sky on top, land at bottom?

Yeah your right Shan, i was getting a bit carried away with my thoughts on HDR sunset & landscapes and forgot the actual problem the OP was having! Although I think you can adjust the filter so you have have it vertically or in-between horizontal and vertical, depending on which side of the building the sun is coming from. But i've never tried it this way so i can't really comment on how well it might work.

post-33011-1265329118_thumb.jpg

ah. was going to say in theory it could be used at almost any angle. only drawback is that its a straight transition, where it may not always be a straight transition that you need to overcome.