SAU Community

R32 rear brakes onto r30/c210 IRS

TRX910

I would rather spend the grand on something else, like DOT 5 Brake Fluid and EBC or ENDLESS or equally as good other pad compounds and slotted rotors.

Maybe some ducting to cool the disc rotors as well.

i've been looking for some ducting to do that but no luck so far, all up hr30 slotted DBA rotors up front with bendix compound X pads front/rear and fitting put me back $1000.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been looking for some ducting to do that but no luck so far, all up hr30 slotted DBA rotors up front with bendix compound X pads front/rear and fitting put me back $1000.

Only one problem I can see with what you've done.

That's bought DBA Rotors!!!!!

Last set of DBA Rotors I went to buy had a little yellow note inside.

"NOT WARRANTED UNDER RACE CONDITIONS - WARRANTY VOID IF USED FOR RACING"

After seeing that, I now buy BREMBO or other imported, that don't place that restriction on their product for less!

Ducting, just use a piece of plastic down pipe, or flex pipe, or do as I have and take the back plates off.

RSX,

Don't know that I would use Bendix anything, EBC & ENDLESS are only about $150 a set. But $1000 on good brakes is a good investment I think. The BNR32 GTR fronts are going to cost me about a grand to fit. :ghost:

what is a set of brembos worth? i mean for 2 discs?

yeh i wouldn't go the DBAs mate put some on his stock R30 12 months ago and they are warped to buggery

i have no complaints so far but will be looking to go to the DR fronts and rears very soon and then be able to run the ebc pads as looked to get those for the current set up but they dont make the pads for the hr callipers!! would like to know the price on the brembos too, DR ones hopefully!

Ghostrider - my rears are r32 gtst callipers, over 278x20mm VN HSV rotors, VN handbrakes and what seem to be decent jap aftermarket pads. At Morgan Park short track, downhill into a hairpin over a surface with some imperfections, the rears did some tiny lockups, which i was happy with. It was the first time i've managed to properly lock the rears, and it shows me that the car is better balanced than it was.

Rears cost me $1400. The DBA rotors alone were $510 for the pair. It was a once off job, as we couldnt find anyone in australia that had done it before on an aussie live axle 31.

Fronts cost me more due to the nightmare of fitting R32 gtst stuff to aussie struts with import hubs.

I cracked my front DBA rotors without even going to the track, and only 4-5 months of occasional driving. Glad to say that in their defence, DBA have addressed the situation to my satisfaction.

Where did you get the brembo rotors from, what model/car were they from, and how much? Very interesting.

If theres room anywhere in the front of the DR, and there are provisions on the motor to fit the oil cooler, go nuts I say. Where does the oil cooler pickup/dropoff to on the GTS1 motor?

Bendix......No thanks.

1. A set of R33 GTR Brembo front rotors cost me $450.00, 296 x 32 + 4 spot Nissan alloy callipers.

And I'll be sticking with my DR rears until I find they are inadequate, but I still believe they are comparable to the "slip" set up with EBC/Endless pads & slotted rotors. We just have to see.

The oil cooler has an adapter that mounts under the stock screw on filter cartridge, from there the oil lines go to the cooler mounted at bottom front left under headlight, on the GTS there is a set of slots in the spoiler to get the air from.

I will be putting it in a similar place, but first the oil lines will be going to a remote additional 60 micron filter system, then to cooler and back to engine at base of screw on cartridge.

oz sedan. Im not saying that your rears are totally inadequate, just that they are not the best. I recommend to most people with aussie 31's (and others) to just do pads/fluid/rotors, because for the majority, its not worth going all out.

Go the aussie shitbox.

Slip! you forget one fact. Your OZZY sh#tbox is a minimum of 200kg heavier than our fully imported lightweight thoroughbred. AND trying to HALT that extra weight arourd your Queensland hills would be quite a task.

I think our DR set up, and considering it is all bolt on, would be more than an adequate comparison to your set up. With the inclusions of DOT 5 brake fluid & EBC or ENDLESS/Apexi/import brake pads and maybe slotted rotors, they would be very good.

Having said that, with a spare set of DR rear trailing arms that I have, I am experimenting with BNR32 GTR rears 297 x 18 using Z32 2 spot callipers on the rear. Might have to have hats made for series 5000 disc rotors, but I think it may be a good exercise.

I think your getting a long way off the track trying to enforce an opinion that I think is futile, because the original question was fitting R32 rears to our IRS trailing arms. And that is an entirely different and more difficult exercise to changing the brakes on your solid live axle assembly.

After all, your arguing over a rear rotor 280 x 22 vs 290 x 10 and less 200kg. The only advantage you have is the twin piston calliper and at $1400.00 against $500.00 I can't see the advantage.

Most of the guys on here, the owners of R30's appear to agree in principle that the DR option is the best for them.

There is a speed shop in Japan "Jenesis" closely related to "R31 House" and can be found at www.r30.co.jp that offer a brake upgrade for R30's and that is the 296 x 32 BNR32 GTR option, they don't regard a rear upgrade necessary over standard DR, and they RACE on this combination in GTP class, and there experience far outweighs both yours and mine put together.

ghostrider: those front set ups from jenesis are $1800+ shipping (if they'll send them)! what kind of dollars will the gtr fronts your doing cost? the pic below is the 5stud but they have the 4stud as well (thier the $1800+ set). these would be a great investment but the shipping would be around the $5-600+ mark :Bang:

With the rears on the dr and hr are they floating disks and could it be as eazy as swapping the hr and dr disks and bolting on the dr callipars??

SSS sell disc rotors & callipers, 2nd hand for $500 set plus fabrication about another $500.

So a grand will get mine done. But if you have to go through engineering, do the conversion after rego, as a 20mm spacer has to be made so that the wheels can clear the 4 spot calliper

SSS sell disc rotors & callipers, 2nd hand for $500 set plus fabrication about another $500.

So a grand will get mine done. But if you have to go through engineering, do the conversion after rego, as a 20mm spacer has to be made so that the wheels can clear the 4 spot calliper

don't you just love how that sounds (so that the wheels can clear the 4 spot callipar).

i'll be engineering it as basic as possible, won't even change the exhaust as there are no holes!

• 1 month later...

I've had a new brainstorm into fitting the R32 rear brakes.

This involves the A arms from a R31 import (passage, etc). Seeing how they have an internal drum handbrake and vented rear discs, I'm under the assumption that the R32 gear SHOULD fit straight on without any fuss. I'm going to borrow a set of R32 rear brakes (I know a dude who has a spare R31 IRS cradle) so I'll know for sure pretty soon.

Slip.

Did you go the VN Rotors because the R32 Rotors wouldn't fit under the

calipers when bolted to the solid rear end.

And why did you have to go the VN handbrake, I assume that the R31

handbrake wouldn't connect to the r32 caliper stuff.

I am going to climb under the car tonight (r31 sedan) and have a good look see.

I was going to use r32 GTR or r33 gts-t stuff if possible.

I have 100mm spaced front struts. Aus Del GTS2

This may also be overkill for the street but I like good brakes.

Cheers Maxy

Did you go the VN Rotors because the R32 Rotors wouldn't fit under the  

calipers when bolted to the solid rear end.  

And why did you have to go the VN handbrake, I assume that the R31

handbrake wouldn't connect to the r32 caliper stuff.

I am going to climb under the car tonight (r31 sedan) and have a good look see.

I was going to use r32 GTR or r33 gts-t stuff if possible.

He used the Commodore rotor because he used the Commodore backing plate + drum handbrake assembly.

R31 handbrake operates the caliper, R32 handbrake operates a mini drum brake inside the rotor.