SAU Community

Bleeding Coolant

craig132

hey hey, does anybody know how to flush coolant from a rb25 engine block? the radiators removed and i have all the AC removed so i cant turn the heater on, and not sure on other ways to do it, cheers

hey hey, does anybody know how to flush coolant from a rb25 engine block? the radiators removed and i have all the AC removed so i cant turn the heater on, and not sure on other ways to do it, cheers

you just need 2 block off the bottom hose, fill up the motor with water thru the top hose ,unblock the bottom hose to drain it again,. do that a few times should acheive what you want to do you might want 2 take out the thermostat first..

Edited by Craig SLO33

i just did this 2 days ago lol

what i did was first undo top radiator hose then the bottom one i then flushed with water and then (first time trying this) ran compressed air through the system to flush out every last bit this cleaned out almost all of the old coolant as i know i used 8L of fresh coolant and the rb25 takes about that much.

alternatively there is a bolt on the drivers side of the engine that u can un do to drain every thing and then u could flush with water *note u need three bond 1386B to seal the bolt

and also when toping up with water only use distilled or (better) because tap water is what causes corrosion. i used 10L distilled water and 1L of coolant concentrate. also distilled water will extend the life of ur coolant so u dont need to change it as often

¿? why do we need a thermostat especially in sumer ? was thinking of taking mine out

the thermostat is needed at all times to make the car run properly. running without it can actually cause overheating issues, as weird as it sounds, if you are driving it hard. it will also cause you to use much more fuel not having it in as it will take you car much longer to heat up and on the highway the temp can drop back down to where the car is on cold temp enrichment. to explain that a bit better, when the car is cold the ecu makes the car run a bit richer than when it is at operating temp. it is basically like having the choke on on an engine that does have fuel injection.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• And         so                   it                             begins                               again.
    • The GTIII-SS turbos are not made for 650 hp crank. They just aren't going to do it. The turbine housing is smaller than the Garrett -7s. The turbo in general is smaller than a GT2860R-7, if it makes the same power as -7s you should be happy. Honestly I would be really happy with your results as far as power delivery goes. Hitting peak torque by 3500 rpm if that's actually happening in 4th gear in the real world is not normal for an RB26 at all. I have heard of people doing 2.8 strokers with GTIII-SS engines but I don't think I've ever seen a dyno sheet of it. I would be worried that the torque falls off faster than RPMs can rise so instead of getting a wider power peak you just shift the whole curve down 500-1000 RPM and end up with an engine that's no fun to rev out.
    • @Kinkstaah ....Shut up with all your good ideas, and common sense, but keep reading for a laugh  In other MX5 related news, work was quite so I went and looked at a few cars today, none passed the clean and un-abused, un-molested criteria that what I'm looking for, most were unloved junk really that kids had thrashed I did have a tip from one of the guys at work to look at a certain MX5, I actually forgot to ask about what model it was or the transmission, so after driving for another hour I arrived, got all excited about how the car looked from a distance as I was heading towards it, then when I actually got closer I found out it was a "NC" soft top, red, 99k Km, 6 speed manual, service history, garaged all its life, spotless, and most importantly 100% standard and a seller that was "motivated" to sell  The soft top roof line actually looks better than the hard top roofs that I have seen, so I decided while I'm there I might as well check it out, did some googling on common issues for a while and I spent about an hour looking for any issues, nope, not 1 issue, so I took it for a nice long test drive to see how it felt and fit Within a half hour of driving the car around Kinkstaar was proven right, and I wrong, I was judging the looks of a hard top car, but not the soft top version, and the NC is a much nicer place to sit than a NB, and the engine reved out really well The car drove beautifully, handled great and everything worked as intended so I thought I might as well see how much I could low ball the car, just for my fun, and the owners annoyance  I low balled, we negotiated, and yeap....... $14'000 later, ....I have new toy car, again Next step is I'll do all my usual "service everything" things for pure fun, and detail the thing the thing to within an inch of its life I swear, this car will stay standard, and I have no intention to modify it In other news, whilst googling about common faults and stuff, I found this interesting....and if you cannot see it, is it really a "modification" https://mx5mania.com.au/products/copy-of-ecutek-race-rom-tune-normally-aspirated-mx5-nc-2005-2013-2-0l-or-2-5l?_pos=2&_sid=1a693f332&_ss=r Cheers Kinkstaar
    • For street use I wouldn't bother with a clutch type LSD on the front especially on a mostly RWD car like the R32 GTR. It will affect steering feel and you're really not going to get much benefit out of it. If you insist on putting in a front LSD I would go with a Quaife or similar Torsen/helical LSD as that will have less impact on steering feel. R34 6 speed swap is not really worth it IMO. If you don't swap the final drive on the front and rear differential the car will rev much higher on the highway. For 120 kph it will sit at 3700 RPM, perceptually higher because the factory tachometer reads a little high. Stock transmission it's closer to 3050 RPM for 120 kph. If you change the final drive ratios you will have to either change the gear on the vehicle speed sensor or use some kind of converter because the gauge cluster is taking RPM of the transmission output shaft, not the differential output shafts. Add in the cost and the fact that it's not actually that much stronger than an FS5R30A especially in hard use due to the specification of ATF and I've given up on the idea of using a Getrag 233 in these cars. It's just not worth it considering the huge cost. If you want a stronger transmission build the FS5R30A. PAR Engineering supposedly will do whatever gear ratios you want. You can move things around so 1st and 2nd are not so clearly optimized for 0-100 kph acceleration. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is gigantic for autocross. OS Giken and a few other shops do this, take your pick.
    • What's your intended usage for the car? GT-Rs already have a mechanical LSD at the back, provided the clutch packs are still in good condition, it should delivery 50/50 torque split between LHS & RHS rear wheels.  Wouldn't hurt to put in a helical front diff, however would avoid a clutch pack front if you want to keep it streetable.