SAU Community

Week Comencing 08/02/2010

boxheadmr

Hi,

Been told to take some holidays at work and was thinking of taking the car for a spin south to Victoria and trying to catch an event or two, looks like the Hillclimb is on at Haunted Hills on the Saturday which sounds like fun but wondering if anyone knows of any other events that week for any of the tracks (PI would be great) or even some meet ups in Vic to check out the seen.

Really want to make the most of my time if possiable,

Matt

Edited by boxheadmr

It looks like there is plenty of spots available and if you get in before the 8th is a little cheaper. I would love to do Haunted Hills as have heard it is the best hillclimb in the county but the chance at 2 days at PI looks too good an oppatunity to pass up.

Is there much on at winton for the trip back?

It looks like there is plenty of spots available and if you get in before the 8th is a little cheaper. I would love to do Haunted Hills as have heard it is the best hillclimb in the county but the chance at 2 days at PI looks too good an oppatunity to pass up.

Is there much on at winton for the trip back?

Your on the money, 2 days at the best track in Aus is way too hard to pass up. Just make sure you have fresh tyres/pads and heaps of fuel!!!!

Will most likely head down for a looksee, a few people I know are racing both days....

Picking up some fresh tyres this week and like the reports on the medium new A050's so will give them a try, picked up some new pads and fluid as well.

Thanks for the tip with the fuel and will pack the extra jerry cans, is it pricy the fuel at the track or best to drive to San Remo for a splash and dash. I would imagine the Saturday practice would go through the fuel the most.

Any tips for where to park-best to get a garage, food etc?

Matt

Picking up some fresh tyres this week and like the reports on the medium new A050's so will give them a try, picked up some new pads and fluid as well.

Thanks for the tip with the fuel and will pack the extra jerry cans, is it pricy the fuel at the track or best to drive to San Remo for a splash and dash. I would imagine the Saturday practice would go through the fuel the most.

Any tips for where to park-best to get a garage, food etc?

Matt

Matt, have heard good things about the new A050's, what do you usually use? And by the way, what car will you be entering??

My advice would be to fill your tank in your car to the brim, assuming you haven't been to PI before you will not be doing your quickest laps on Saturday morning.

Fill up a few jerry cans aswell. What fuel do you use? If normal 98 than that's not a problem, san remo would be the go, if you use 100 octane then the closest servo is about 60k's away...

You will get heaps of laps in on Saturday, you'll be using more fuel Sat than Sunday timed sprints.....

Been using RE55's for a while now but have tried out the R888's and AO48's previously but seemed to get the best wear and good times out of the RE55's. As a hot lapper the R888's seemed to do well from what i expeienced.

Yeah thought as much with the fuel on the Saturday, hopefully the weather will be OK (have jinked myself now) and not show it's usual form for PI that you see on the TV or every time i have been there to check out the racing.

I am not sure how it works at PI,

Thanks for that will give me an idea of how i am going on the lap timer. hopefully i am not wasting too much time with all these questions of everyone and apresiate the guidence. Is any of the SAU Vic team heading out on the Sunday or Saturday (bearing in mind the HH event).

Matt

Thanks for that will give me an idea of how i am going on the lap timer. hopefully i am not wasting too much time with all these questions of everyone and apresiate the guidence. Is any of the SAU Vic team heading out on the Sunday or Saturday (bearing in mind the HH event).

Matt

Your not wasting anyone's time here mate, we're all one big family!!!!

Not sure who's racing from SAU, BBGTR usually attends this meeting, look out for a very quick black 32GT-R.

I'll be there for a looksee...

Oh, and what car are you entering???

Will be in a white wide body S14a, race number is 539 but not sure if this is taken down there.

Just sent off my entry forms this morning to get the early bird special, wish i realised you didn't need to join the club to enter and just be part of a cams affiliated club but had already got the money order.

Looking forward to it and to saying hello.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Good to have met you Matt...and congrats on the times and the car! Its a very tidy ride. It took a NSW fella to come down in his forst attempt to show that a neatly sorted rwd 2L is good for 1:48s :) Againg congrats and hope you had a good trip home

Thanks Roy and the rest of the SAU Vic crew who I meet on Sunday, you all were really good blokes and appreciate the tips you passed on.

I was surprised with how friendly the day was with the PIARC, Dave with the 32GTR was a real champion and a good steerer along with the guys in the Mini and WRX. Not sure if he is on SAU but thank you for assisting and for also splitting the cost of the garage.

PI is really in a class of its own with super fast - flowing corners, a lot better then any of the other tracks I have been on and so much more rewarding. The facilities and track surface seem second to none.

I didn't get home till late last night after fixing a few issues with the car.

Trip back was good but scored a nice little surprise from a little light blue subie forester with a flashy light thing right at the bottom of a down hill section of the road.

106klm/h in a 100 zone downhill - got to love Victoria!!!

Who was the person with the camera? Any chance of getting some of the photos you took?

Thanks again for all your help guys and hopefully will be back down with a leave pass in the not too distant future.

Again, well done on a ripper time, you gotta be happy with that. Glad to hear you had a blast, and good to see you made it home safe.

Will have to come up to NSW to have a 'play' in the near future...