SAU Community

A Couple Of Things

FJ20DR30

Hey Guys i need a little info and a turbo (maybe)

1st things first, does anyone have a good Vg30 turbo for sale? my is leaking oil into the front cover and wont pass its road worthy in vic, and or is it cheaper to rebuild? or does someone have something bigger that will bolt in place with no mods? im thinking about cost here really.. i need something cheap even if someone has a good vg30 nugget and i can use my housings..

Cheers for help with that.

and second can someone tell me more about fitting a gts25t gear box to an fj20et skyline? mainly do i need a different clutch and flywheel? iv heard speak of it being almost a direct fit if you remove some one or two of the engine/box locator studs???

Cheers for you help as always guys

Marc

I have a VG30 unit, but there is a chip/4x5mm piece missing on one of the compressor wheel blades.

you may be able to make a good one out of the two, but it will still need balancing,

a full rebuLid is around $500, depending on what you are after.

Hypergear is a workshop in Vic, they do replacements, rebuilds, and new units. the Tr43 is especially a good unit, may be too big fot a 2 litre though.

Sure the oil in front housing isn't coming in from the breather system from the rocker cover?

Not sure if FJ's are set up that way but its pretty common on sr/ca to see oil being drawn into the intake from the rocker covers.

Cheers guys..

i dont think the turbo with the chip will be any good as that still means a rebuild really?? tell me more about that second turbo? the upgaded one? my car is a 2.2 stroker with with forged pistons etc i think it should be ok to go bigger??....

as for the oil return from the tappet cover this might be the issue?? ill check that out! however the guys at nisco said to me they thought it was a turbo leak?

thanks

The bottom line is cost.

The cheapest option is to rebuild what you have, it seems to be a fairly good match to the engine.

If you were looking at modifying your setup, there are some really good new turbos out there. Ghostrider has more info on this (he is building the FJ track only car)

Hey mate. I'm running a VG30-DETT box with a modifyed bellhousing behind my FJ20. it's internally the same as a RB25 box but the shifter sits in the right spot. I'm using an os giken tripple plate with matching flywheel.

And I have an HR32 GTSt RB20DET box with a modified bellhousing, waiting in the wings for when the FJ box gives up the ghost under the strain of about 400+HP. And an HR31 GTSt box as another backup.

My sources tell me I wont be able to break it and it's heaps cheaper than either the Z32 masTers is using or your GTS25t box your talking about.

From what I'm told, you will have to use an FJ20 bellhousing and mate the new box to that.

As for turbo's, VG30's are available in good nick for about $300 on ebay, your just going to have to wait till one turns up.

Cheers, D

Hey Dennis, From experience the RB20 boxes give up around 350-400 rwhp. The vg box is around 1200, and the RB25 box from 1400-2000 depending what car it's from. You might be better of sellin the 2 and just buying a vg box? Seems to be a huge demand for rb20 boxes over here as they are pretty rare, and the cost of converting a 32 to an rb25 box is quite high for the average gtst owner

In a track only car that driven once or twice a month the R32 box should last a while, but if it's a daily or driven in spirit often I'd just go the VG off the bat. Interestingly enough a close friends HR31 box shat itself at 250rwhp.

In a track only car that driven once or twice a month the R32 box should last a while, but if it's a daily or driven in spirit often I'd just go the VG off the bat. Interestingly enough a close friends HR31 box shat itself at 250rwhp.

The HR31 boxes only have the single ring synchros & therefore are not as strong as the HR32.

If one could be acquired the Nissan 280ZX box was as good as we can get too.

Cheers, D

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Z32 turbo box, so I guess I'll be right for gearboxes for some time.

I'm going to investigate putting the Z32 box behind the L28 in the PNV as I think the torque I'm expecting will destroy the stumpy L20 boxes far to easily.

Cheers, D

and second can someone tell me more about fitting a gts25t gear box to an fj20et skyline? mainly do i need a different clutch and flywheel? iv heard speak of it being almost a direct fit if you remove some one or two of the engine/box locator studs???

Dead easy swap, elongate a couple holes in the bellhousing and it fits straight up, I have done a few for friends before. However the RB25 box has a larger output shaft so you will need a custom tailshaft. All though none of these went in R30's so I dont know where the shifter comes out in comparison to standard

Edited by DR JOSH

Just bought a Z32 turbo box, so I guess I'll be right for gearboxes for some time.

I'm going to investigate putting the Z32 box behind the L28 in the PNV as I think the torque I'm expecting will destroy the stumpy L20 boxes far to easily.

Cheers, D

z32 box the goods, cheaper than 25 and stronger i swear i did a searcch on google and came across a guy in the states that does a kit to put a z32 behind a l type mota