SAU Community

Rear Sway Bar or Rear Strut Bar?

Genesis®

Hi predator, maybe I didn't explain this well enough in the previous post, so let me try again.....

The rear suspension arms on a Skyline are not directly connected to the body. They are connected to the rear subframe which is connected to body via soft rubber bushes. So adding strengthening to the body (strut brace or roll cage) is a waste of time, unless you link the subframe to the body at the same time.

This is not the case at the front, where the front suspension arms are directly connected to the body. So adding strengthening (strut brace) to the body is very worthwhile.

If you jack up the rear of a Skyline this difference is very obvious when you compare it to the front.

Hope that clarifies.

What I can say is if it happens again, I would increase the rear anti roll and try that. That will decrease the diagonal weight shift, which is more than likely the reason why it understeers. If you have too much dynamic weight going onto the outside front tyre, it causes it to scrub and pass its slip angle.

Conversely you can decrease the front anti roll, which will increase the diagonal weight shift and therefore push the tyre down onto the track harder. This works if the understeer is caused by insufficient weight on the outside front tyre.

So you can have two reasons for the understeer, too much dynamic weight or too little dynamic weight.

Thanks, i read, read, read, but my practical experience on susp setup is severly lacking ;)

Another concern of mine is the front/rear ride height of my car. From wheel centres to guard, my front is 315mm and rear is 340mm.

I suspect my front is too low, so perhaps need to raise the front before trying other things. I suspect the weight transfer may be also the reason that i seem to have a tendnecy to lock rears, others dont seem to have a bias problem when running 328mm front rotors with std proportioning.

PS - do you eve tire of ding bats like me who mess with their cars settings asking your advice on how to get back on track...:bonk:

... appreciate you help.

Roy,

I had a similar problem with my GTS4 understeering, despite having stock front bar and HD GT-R rear bar. It, like yours, has been lowered.

It turns out that a probable contributing cause was the front suspension riding the bump stops. In that case the front spring rate goes from maybe 200 lb springs to near infinite rating once it hits the bump stops. Fitting smaller / thinner bump stops seems to have contributed to it getting back the "power-on oversteer" handling my car is reportedly renowned for.

Also not helped by the Whiteline camber kit had worn, and cranked in 3.5 -ve camber. New kit - new handling.

Despite my front being so low it doesnt appear to be hitting its bump stops...and im already onto my 2nd set of front camber bushes, the first set i had appeared to react with something they had come in contact with causing them to swell, so now have Nolathane camber bushes on the front.

Anyway sorry for going off topic :Oops: ... my point being the front strut brace does significantly change the way my front susp performs.