SAU Community

How Do 550cc Injectors Make 300rwkw On An Rb25det?

Harey

Hi,

I have searched and read many threads on here about injector sizing. Many times people mention that 550cc injectors will supply enough fuel for 300rwkw. How is this possible on the standard fuel pressure of 3 bar (43.5psi)?

I have entered the following figures into many different fuel injector size calculators on the net and they all say I will only make 250rwkw on 3 bar of fuel pressure.

I am using the following data:

BSFC: 0.60 (for turbocharged cars)

No of Injectors: 6

Max Duty Cycle: 0.8

Fuel Pressure: 43.5

On the following site it only provides fuel for ~420hp at the engine, which is ~250rwkw.

Am I missing something? Are people upping the fuel pressure or running the duty cycle above 80?

Any help much appreciated!

550cc x6, as a rule, will support 550hp. It's a rough guide of course.

Also remember the fuel reg is rising rate. Base pressure is what, 38psi or so.

Add 20psi of boost, you are now seeing 58psi.

The boost pressure in the manifold restricts flow from the injectors, which is why we have rising rate regs.

If the manifold was at atmospheric pressure, and the fuel rail at 38psi (base pressure), there is a differential pressure of 38psi.

If the manifold pressure is 20psi and the rail pressure was 58psi you still have a differential of 38psi.

Therefore at any given duty cycle, the flow rate will be the same regardless of the amount of boost. (providing the fuel reg is sized correctly and operating within it's limits).

Edited by daisu

The boost pressure in the manifold restricts flow from the injectors, which is why we have rising rate regs.

If the manifold was at atmospheric pressure, and the fuel rail at 38psi (base pressure), there is a differential pressure of 38psi.

If the manifold pressure is 20psi and the rail pressure was 58psi you still have a differential of 38psi.

Therefore at any given duty cycle, the flow rate will be the same regardless of the amount of boost. (providing the fuel reg is sized correctly and operating within it's limits).

Exactly right. Its only ever effectively supplying the base fuel pressure. 1psi of air pressure cancels out 1psi of fuel pressure, hence the factory 1:1 rising rate fuel regulator for forced induction cars.

Where did you get 550cc ~ 550hp?

My 550's are hiting 85% duty and making 340rwhp... however, the current tune is apparently somewhere around 10:1 af's

Standard fuel reg I assume. See that sounds more like it. Sure theres more to be gained from 12:1 afrs but surely not 60rwhp. So people must be running them at over 85% duty cycle to make 300rwkw?

Edited by Harey

1cc for 1hp is just an old rule of thumb, i have no idea where it comes from but ive heard heaps of ppl mention it. but yeah +1 for rising rate reg, high duty cycle and boost. 550s make 260rwkw in mine running nowhere near their duty cycle limits

EDIT: nismo fuel reg and 19psi, cant rmb afr or exact duty cycles as its only recently been retuned

Standard fuel reg I assume. See that sounds more like it. Sure theres more to be gained from 12:1 afrs but surely not 60rwhp. So people must be running them at over 85% duty cycle to make 300rwkw?

Nismo reg. not sure what the base pressure is set at. But im pretty certain its not 3 bar. Is base fuel pressure measured at 0 manifold pressure?

Edited by Granthem

1cc for 1hp is just an old rule of thumb, i have no idea where it comes from but ive heard heaps of ppl mention it. but yeah +1 for rising rate reg, high duty cycle and boost. 550s make 260rwkw in mine running nowhere near their duty cycle limits

Do you mean an adjustable fuel pressure reg? Cause the factory fuel pressure reg is rising rate. As said previously boost does not help the amount of fuel getting through the injectors.

They must be high duty cycle if only the standard reg.

1cc for 1hp must be at 100% duty cycle.

Edited by Harey

Thanks fellers so the nismo reg is the missing piece! Cheers!

No it's not.

Factory reg is perfectly fine is the injector size is correctly given. Which 550's are for 300rwkw.

Here is the numbers @ base fuel pressure (6 cyc motor):

550 cc = 550 bhp

550 bhp / 1.34 = 410 rwkw

410 rwkw – 70kw loss = 340rwkw

The facts.

1. 550's will support 300rwkw.

2. Factory reg is all you need.

If these "sites" say you can only get 250rwkw from 550's... then how is it possible that with 370cc injectors people are making 200-220rwkw???

*think for a second*

Exactly, it wouldn't be possible. To back this up look @ the RB25 dyno results thread every single car with a factory turbo making 190-200rwkw is using factory injectors.

Whatever site you are getting your calc's from - are wrong. OR you are inputting information wrong.

We are the people here that have experience and knowledge of this specific application. Not some "cater for all" website calcuator without any idea.

Injector calcuators are the same as ET/Drag calculators, most of them are absolute rubbish.

can anyone answer where base pressue is measured from... idle? of 0 manifold pressure

My car at idle is 2kg/cm2 fuel pressure... at 0 on the boost gauge... around 2.4kg/cm2

Seems abit off 3 bar?

Edited by Granthem