SAU Community

Insurance

That_timothy

Hi,

So I bought my Skyline about a year ago, as a bit of a project because it was pretty beaten up, and as such I got it pretty cheap. My insurance has been really good so far except that they just insured it at what I paid for it, and not a market value.

Having spent a year fixing it and spending money on it, I wanted to increase the value on my insurance to it's normal market value, or something similar, but I need to get an evaluation apparently. I'm not entirely sure about how to go about this?

Does anybody here have any suggestions as far as getting it evaulated?

NB: I'm not interested in anybody's gung-ho "f*k InSuRanCeZ mAn U dUn NeEd ThAt ShIz" ideas.

Cheers,

Mods: Sorry if this has been covered, couldn't find anything searching.

Hi,

So I bought my Skyline about a year ago, as a bit of a project because it was pretty beaten up, and as such I got it pretty cheap. My insurance has been really good so far except that they just insured it at what I paid for it, and not a market value.

Having spent a year fixing it and spending money on it, I wanted to increase the value on my insurance to it's normal market value, or something similar, but I need to get an evaluation apparently. I'm not entirely sure about how to go about this?

Does anybody here have any suggestions as far as getting it evaulated?

NB: I'm not interested in anybody's gung-ho "f*k InSuRanCeZ mAn U dUn NeEd ThAt ShIz" ideas.

Cheers,

Mods: Sorry if this has been covered, couldn't find anything searching.

Hi Tim

You need to go to a dealer to get a valuation from them and some dealers will charge you for it as well.

If you know a dealer (preferably one that sells Skylines) then maybe they can help you.

If you know anyone at C-Red then they may be able to help as last time I checked they had a Dealers License.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Thanks Rod, I'll be looking into that when I get home. Just out of curiosity, what do people think the market value actually is? I saw a completely stock 33 [i think this was actually less than had come out of the factory, had lots removed] for for 15k a few months ago.

Thanks for the help

The ol' "mildly modified 33"? Reasonably good nick.

Was more interested in the market value that insurance companies will be going with like Kaido is talking about.

I renew my insurance in in dec 09 and Just Car had the market value of my r33 gts-t S1 1993 at $11,000 :P

Any luck with this Tim? I am wanting to do the same thing, i am with JustCars as well and they will only insure my car to $10000 :/

But after i do the engine swap then i will want more cover than that. What other companies insure gray imports? Shannons won't insure me because im under 25

last time i was asked for a valuation i used the guys at autoworx they gave the car a good once over and discussed their opinion with me before giving a official looking valuation all for a reasonable fee

When I swapped my insurance from just cars to sgio they said they could do it at market value which was 10k or what I paid for it which was 8.5k, so mine is insured for 10k even though they know i payed 8.5k for it over 6 months ago. This was for third party fire+theft btw

Edited by Crackfox

My car was insured with JC for $2k (car value $10k), when I came to renew the policy early this year I used their website thing & added some of the extra mods I did to the car (exhaust, POD, SAFC 2, intercooler & boost controller) they upped my car's insured amount from $10k to $11.7k & didn't change my premium? Are they actually being generous or their computer software must be bugged?