SAU Community

Is It Cheaper 2 Import?

kaiden

It's cheaper to export you out of this country for asking vague questions.

Bit harsh on a newb with 10 posts to his name.

All depends on what your after, how much you want to spend and how long you can wait.

The good importers call give you a rough dollar figure for what your after, match that to a local car price and you've got your answer.

Do a search like "how much did it cost to import", that should give you lots of threads to look through.

guys - before everyone gets consumed in this discussion, I think you'll find the best answer is this...

'welcome to the forum newbie. I notice you posted several threads all at once, most of which were meaningless, and probably simply because you need a minimum of 10 posts in order to PM someone, or even reply to a PM. Thumbs up for some relatively innocuous thread bumps, but please - at least next time put a question mark after your statement, so that it gives the remotest appearance of being genuine. Enjoy your time on the forum and hope you got that PM sent.....'

(I know this because I had to do the same thing)

Unless you want something new-ish or rare, it's generally cheaper to buy local. Once upon a time it may have been different, but it's pretty damn hard to land and comply a car for less than $10k, regardless of what it is or how much you paid for it over there. If you're talking about an R32, R33, Soarer, S13/14, 180SX, this generally isn't worth it, because they can be had locally for less. However, if you're talking about an R34, S15, Stagea, Legnum, Supra... It may be a little different. Just look into the costs of each man! And be more specific lol...

I'm assuming you're talking about importing from Japan, to Australia, and having it complied for street use.

Also depends on if it's pre/post '88 (I think it was? or '89). Import laws and therefore costs change around there.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that it is far more expensive to import then to buy locally (I'm finishing importing myself as a type this, car gets rego'd next week). Because importing can be a legnthy process (months obviously) you end up buying more and more stuff for your car before it has even arrived (E.g Bonnet, Wheels, Seats, Coilovers, Boost Controllers, Air Filters, BOVs, Ganadors...). In the end what you saved on your car you spent on mods and then some before you can even fit them :)

Because importing can be a legnthy process (months obviously) you end up buying more and more stuff for your car before it has even arrived (E.g Bonnet fins which stick on with 3m tape, chrome hubcaps, UNIT stickers, Ed Hardy Carseat Covers, Aluminium GT wings, Fuel Saver Tablets, Screw on Exhaust Trim Tips with LED's, LED Valve Caps, Green Coloured Headlight bulbs which are inexplicably expensive considering they're for "offroad use only", RM WIlliams Mudflaps. "Spotties", "Southern Cross" stickers. "FUUCK OFF WERE FULL" stickers. Nankang tyres when they're on special. and getting the car here and realising you don't have enough money to insure it...).

^^^hell yeah. importing is wicked fun! haha (im about to import myself - am i showing yet? it's still early days though but soon i'll have that healthy "i've imported" glow about me.

and guess what else - i won't put up a thread saying "my journey" and i'm also not going to post a build thread!

original huh.

Edited by Mr Eps

I can confirm that it is far more expensive to import then to buy locally (I'm finishing importing myself as a type this, car gets rego'd next week). Because importing can be a legnthy process (months obviously) you end up buying more and more stuff for your car before it has even arrived (E.g Bonnet, Wheels, Seats, Coilovers, Boost Controllers, Air Filters, BOVs, Ganadors...). In the end what you saved on your car you spent on mods and then some before you can even fit them ;)

Haha just bought wheels and coilovers for my Cube, hasn't even gone on a boat yet!

I can confirm that it is far more expensive to import then to buy locally (I'm finishing importing myself as a type this, car gets rego'd next week). Because importing can be a legnthy process (months obviously) you end up buying more and more stuff for your car before it has even arrived (E.g Bonnet, Wheels, Seats, Coilovers, Boost Controllers, Air Filters, BOVs, Ganadors...). In the end what you saved on your car you spent on mods and then some before you can even fit them :)

I fail to see the problem with this ;)

In answer to OP question. Maybe?

lol. so did I. :cool: depends on what we are talking about importing. sometimes yes. sometimes no.

given the bloke hasn't posted again I'd say he's happy with the response. :) it would have been a bit easier to give a more useful answer if we at least knew what type of car he wanted.