SAU Community

keeping tyres shiny

Guest 33GTS25

Guest 33GTS25

this may be a tip that most people know but there will be some amongst us that dont know it.this tip was given to me by a mate who's dad used to own a car yard.

have you ever finished washing and polishing your car and stepped back to have a look at your baby but only to be upset that your tyres are dirty still and detract from the overall gleam. if so

pour a little armorall into a jar and brush onto the sidewalls using a small paintbrush i.e 1" brush(buy from crazy clarks for 50c). armorall will have the consistency of milk when painting but just keep walking around the car touching up as necessary. this will bring the tyres back to that shiny new look they had when you first bought them and when re-applied for a couple of coats the sheen just gets deeper without having to worry about runs etc that you get with tyre black(and its cheaper).

be careful to not paint past the sidewalls and onto the tread pattern as we all know how slippery armorall gets.

hope this helps at least one of us.

rod

Cool, any ideas how to get the black crap off my tyres that was put on at the auction yard in Japan ... it's like a sticky tar substance .... not good ... I think next weekend I'll take each rim off one at a time and clean them down thouroughly with some degreaser.

Guest 33GTS25

jimbo, mate i would be very careful about what compounds i use to clean my tyres. why not a gel bug and tar remover along with scrubbing brush and lots of elbow grease

rod

Guest 33GTS25

if its something really greasy why dont you take each wheel off and try to scrub it with laundry powder, the powders granules should help lift the grease without scrathing your sidewalls.

i.e wet the tyre first pour a little powder on the tyre and start scrubbing a 30cm section at a time this will give you an indication of how you are going before you atempt al the tyres

rod

pour a little armorall into a jar and brush onto the sidewalls using a small paintbrush i.e 1" brush(buy from crazy clarks for 50c). armorall will have the consistency of milk when painting but just keep walking around the car touching up as necessary. this will bring the tyres back to that shiny new look they had when you first bought them and when re-applied for a couple of coats the sheen just gets deeper without having to worry about runs etc that you get with tyre black(and its cheaper).

hope this helps at least one of us.

rod[/quote:d776b278ca]

Hey Rod,

How long does it usually stay black for? I used to do this but then found that it didn't last that long. I currently use hmm.. I can't remember what its called. Its made by Turtle Wax in a green bottle and it's called ***** Extreme. Pretty good stuff as it actually makes kinda like a silicon clear coat over the tyre hence not affected by water.

Guest 33GTS25

xrsist. i gotta admit that i dont know how long it lasts, as yesterday was the first time i have done it, but then it only takes 5 minutes to run around the car and reapply after you have finished your weekly wash/vacuum routine

i haven't seen this turtle wax stuff but it may also be a good option, remember that nothing will last forever though.

rod

Guest 33GTS25

jimbo, if your neighbours haven't commented yet on your dedication to your car then you are not committed enough.

other members of the complex that i live in know that i wash every saturday afternoon unless there is a cruise and i do it in the morning. the advantage of this is that they make sure there car is not in my way. it helps being a 6'1" black man sometimes :twisted:

you'd be surprised the many applications that washing powder has :wink:

I'm 6'4" and black from the waist down :wink: Most people in my complex are amazed at the time I'll spend cleaing my car, then drying it with a chamoi. They're gonna ask where the rest of the car is when i start doing each wheel at a time :P

Guest 33GTS25

well jimbo you must have the rest of my body as i seem to be white from the waist down. i.e i think i must be hung like my mothers side of the family :lol:

if people comment on doing each wheel at a time, you should tell them that your baby is in foal and will be coming back with a godzilla, this will surely confuse them even further

rod

Hey Shell,

eaheahea there's nothing wrong with good old tyre shine.

I think we're just keeping our minds and eyes open for

suggestions to get a "nicer" look. 8)

Rod,

i think it's a new product cause i haven't seen it on shop

shelves yet. :P

nah Jimbo, it's just spray-on stuff! Very lightweight....sprays on like...errr for want a better word....hairspray LOL :lol:

Doesn't last very long tho - it's more just to pretty it up for the day, and it doesn't clean them either, you have to apply it to clean tyres.

Guest INASNT

i use a foam called SO EASY!

and it is so easy to use, just spray it on the tyres and they come up shiny as, and lasts preety long 2 as long as u dont drive through 2 much water!