SAU Community

R34 Amp Location

Khabel

Just curious where everyone has the amps mounted in their R34's?

I thinking of putting them in the boot above the petrol tank but interested in other opinions

you can put them there,but make sure you can still get to the wires etc on the fuel pump if it dies and dont drill into the floor = fueltank , or behind the side panels there is heaps of room, but you better know how to mount them without denting or piercing the outside metal skin. and then you can hide them completely

or false floor above spare tyre. don't recommend ditching the spare for audio gear unless its a show car only

side panels in rear seat area has a bunch of room behind the "flux capacitor" panels(the one with all the bolts holding them on..lol) but stear clear of seat belt pre-tensioners on the reels. (yellow wires)

under front seats, not a real good spot on that car

depends on size,heat, your goal, to hide them or show them off, expense to do right, skills if you do it yourself ? lots of factors

My mate and I made up a false backing from MDF then carpeted it, and drilled out holes for the wiring where the step at the back of the boot is to mount the amp to. Was alot of work but it worked out well as it looks neat, is out of the way and hides most of the wiring

This is it:

post-44229-1268209468_thumb.jpg

post-44229-1268209540_thumb.jpg

see the bolt in the upper left corner, it screws into the metal bracket behind the carpet cover

and scotty doo I hope that fuse isn't the one for the battery . you do have one up front very near the battery don't you ??? if not your asking for a massive car fire(unless your battery is in the back of the car now ?) you don't have to give up so much space. the amp can get a lot closer to the seat back , but don't put the power wires too near the computers in the back if you can help it.

see the bolt in the upper left corner, it screws into the metal bracket behind the carpet cover

and scotty doo I hope that fuse isn't the one for the battery . you do have one up front very near the battery don't you ??? if not your asking for a massive car fire(unless your battery is in the back of the car now ?) you don't have to give up so much space. the amp can get a lot closer to the seat back , but don't put the power wires too near the computers in the back if you can help it.

You're right we bolted the MDF board at the top on either side, and the bottom of the board sits behind the lip on the step. The two bolts hold it in very securely, and is easy to take out.

Yes the fuse is the one for the battery and the battery is in the engine bay still. Thanks for pointing this out, we were going to put it in the engine bay orignially but decided to put it in the boot for aesthetic reasons, but didnt think about it enough obviously. We'll be putting one in the engine bay now too very soon. :P

On the use of space, I've found where it is to be pretty good actually. I never used the shelf part of the boot anyway and the amp doesnt stick out very much at all beyond that point. I could have mounted the amp on the inside of the board but I wanted to show it off a little. And the Sub is really quick and easy to grab out too if I need the space. Putting the board back any further would have just made things so much more difficult and time consuming it just didnt make sense for a nothing space. The gap behind it is good for hiding the extra length of wiring too. And none of it is anywhere near the computer gear for the car either.

Cheers.

On mine I only have 1 bracket in the middle that holds the carpet and it seems pretty flimsey

there is a pretty thick steel plate , between the front and rear part of the car. on coupes to stiffen the chassis , weighs a bunch but does help a lot for rear stiffness. pull out your rear seat you can see it and access the bolts to it. also there is a lot of bolt down holes along the rail near it. 10mm bolts

if you want to hang a bracket off it. or you can look up under the rear deck, a few spots to hang a metal bracket down to secure a amp rack.or epoxy a bracket on the floor if you don't want to drill for fear of fuel tanks, brake lines, etc. ? I would hang a amp inside the rear panels to hide it and still have cooling, and you can mount a up to 12" sub on either side , behind the panels as well. without major drama or hacking