SAU Community

Question About Greddy Oil Pan Extension Installation.....

I have recently had a Greddy Oil Pan Sump Extension welded onto my RB26 oil pan. Of course, being in all Japanese, my welder went by the pictures. He cut the lower pan, welded on the sump pan, and welded the center oil pick-up baffle extension. All seemed good until I went to install.

It seems that the oil pick-up is about 3/16 of an inch off from the bottom of the oil pan, if that. And the long cylinder tube baffle that was welded on sits about 1/8 of an inch off the bottom of the pan., again, if that and almost flush with the bottom of the oil pan.

Does anyone have any pictures of their set-up or if anyone has their pan out, can you get me some pictures? Or does this sound right or wrong? This seems too close to me and I think it will starve the engine of oil. Thanks in advance......

converting inches to mm as we speak :D

my maths is ass but 3/16 is about 4.5-5mm and 1/8 inch is around 3mm, i will check the clearances for you. Its sounds about right as the std pickup sits 4-5mm off the bottom.

Ok, so I got a little more technical here.

I added some Play-Do (spelling?) to the bottom of the oil pickup and dry-fitted the sump to the engine. I then removed the sump and the Play-Do stuck to the pick-up. Removed the Play-Do and placed on flat table. Using a caliper, I measure about 4mm from the very very very bottom of the pick-up (flared ears) to the bottom of the pan. Does this sound right or too close?

Also, again, regarding the actual baffling. Mine sits about 2-3mm off the bottom of the pan. Is this right? Or again, is it too close? Thanks......

No, not really. I was hoping for some more useful posts here. I did post in GTROC and was told that it is fine. But I wanted more opinions, especially from peeps here. I trust STATUS's comments, I just wanted a few more before I bolted it on.

I think that I may be freaking out over nothing. But, it doesn't hurt to be extra cautious, especially since this is all being done with my full engine build at the same time.....

BTW, GTROC Link......