SAU Community

Rb25 Det Neo Ignition Timing Marks ?

DeanR33

I've searched all over and can't find any reference except to the non neo engines, even the R34 workshop manual shows the marks in 5* increments like the earlier engines.

I have 3 marks on my crank pulley. 1 mark then a big gap and 2 marks with a smaller gap between them.

I'm guessing that the first mark is TDC and the second is probably the 15* I'm aiming for. Can anyone confirm please?

My car is a 1999 Stagea S2 Tiptronic.

mines a 2000 and has 7 marks. 0 to 30. As the NEO Stagea workshop manual also states.

The 1st mark (orange) will be tdc, going clockwise, each 5 degree mark is approx 6mm.

For some unknown production reason they may have just used a different pulley for some period.

mines a 2000 and has 7 marks. 0 to 30. As the NEO Stagea workshop manual also states.

The 1st mark (orange) will be tdc, going clockwise, each 5 degree mark is approx 6mm.

For some unknown production reason they may have just used a different pulley for some period.

Thanks for that. I'm wondering if I have some kinda different pulley as you say, or even an aftermarket one.

I've used my Greddy informeter to read the timing with the tps disconnected, but I'm not entirely sure if the reading is the true timing or the output from the ecu target timing.

If I put a timing light on it, it's set just about on the second mark on my pulley and both the second and third marks are white.

I'm not having any running probs and the car goes well, but I wanted to check it because there is evidence on the cas that someone has retarded the timing a little. Possibly in preparation to run on regular unleaded, which I never do.

remove #1 spark plug and drop a screw driver in. rotate the engine clockwise from say 10deg before tdc and watch where the screw driver peaks. thats tdc. then mark pulley at that point.

Thanks for that. I'm wondering if I have some kinda different pulley as you say, or even an aftermarket one.

I've used my Greddy informeter to read the timing with the tps disconnected, but I'm not entirely sure if the reading is the true timing or the output from the ecu target timing.

If I put a timing light on it, it's set just about on the second mark on my pulley and both the second and third marks are white.

I'm not having any running probs and the car goes well, but I wanted to check it because there is evidence on the cas that someone has retarded the timing a little. Possibly in preparation to run on regular unleaded, which I never do.

remove #1 spark plug and drop a screw driver in. rotate the engine clockwise from say 10deg before tdc and watch where the screw driver peaks. thats tdc. then mark pulley at that point.

and hope you are not on the exhaust stroke......

To be sure though, the keyway in the harmonic balancer is at 12 o'clock for tdc, and as stated, on the std balancer, each 5 degree's is approx 6mm along the face of the pulley. And yeah, the infometer will be taking the timing off the ecu, but keep in mind that any changes you make, even using base timing mode with a consult cable, can be pulled straight out again by the ecu if its detecting knocking or anything like that

dont you have to dissable the timing advance and the cam advance thingos while you do it tho?

i know with some of the nissan motors you have to pull the tps off to lock the timing otherwise it advances and retards even at idle

not sure how you do it on the noe's tho, but i'd like to

just a quick question just wondering where you got your workshop manual??

cheers mat